Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield's form in last few games

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#61 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'd say he was non descript, had little influence and carried zero threat to the top 2 Nations in the game and they're the ones we have to measure him against.

PS he wasn't alone but not many have had the chances Sinfields had, it's time to recognise that he's never going to cut it at international level!

You have stated he has failed in 30+ games.

So why single Sinfield out.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#62 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

The only thing that annoys me is that when Sinfield's form drops, it's ok because he'll come good, but when Brough's form drops it's used against him.
Posted Image

#63 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Sinfield has only really played in his proper role for England on a few occasions and he has played well when doing so.

Strange you should say that because his best performance by some distance came as an interchange hooker.
Whenever he's payed in his familiar roles of LF or HB he's been poor unless we're judging him against a weak French or sub standard Welsh team in which case he's been average at best.

#64 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

The only thing that annoys me is that when Sinfield's form drops, it's ok because he'll come good, but when Brough's form drops it's used against him.

Sinfield is slated when his form drops,as this thread shows.

#65 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

You have stated he has failed in 30+ games.
So why single Sinfield out.

Because this threads about Sinfield and as I said in my post not many have had the number of chances Sinfields had and almost universally failed. As far as his international career goes he's been tried, tested and failed so his selection as Captain is baffling to say the least.

If you want my opinion on others then Wilkin, & JJB to name just two should also never be selected again.

#66 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Because this threads about Sinfield and as I said in my post not many have had the number of chances Sinfields had and almost universally failed. As far as his international career goes he's been tried, tested and failed so his selection as Captain is baffling to say the least.

If you want my opinion on others then Wilkin, & JJB to name just two should also never be selected again.

So why not start a thread singling other players out,easily done but I suspect you won't.

#67 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

So why not start a thread singling other players out,easily done but I suspect you won't.

I didn't start this thread either

I thought we were having a reasonable, fairly adult debate but now I see it was just another myopic fan rant and now that you've run out of sensible argument it's back to accusing me of having something against Sinfield.

#68 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Probably because we're not fed a constant feed from about how inspirational and brilliant the other players are all the time by Claire Balding, Martyn Sadler, Eddie and Stevo etc.

#69 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well I beleive it has happened and despite the protestations of a few diehard Rhinos, I think the majority share my opinion.

The majority of armchair pundits maybe, but ask the people who have actually achieved something in RL ie the SL winning coaches, his fellow players and people who actually work within the game and they will tell you different, I wonder who's right?

Sinfields an easy scapegoat for many on here, if England play well it will be despite Sinfield and if England play rubbish it will be because of Sinfield. I think most people on here don't really expect us to beat Australia so they're just setting their stall out early on who they are going to blame.

#70 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

I didn't start this thread either

I thought we were having a reasonable, fairly adult debate but now I see it was just another myopic fan rant and now that you've run out of sensible argument it's back to accusing me of having something against Sinfield.

Not at all,but as you have mentioned other players,would you care to tell me why they shouldn't be included in the England squad.

#71 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Probably because we're not fed a constant feed from about how inspirational and brilliant the other players are all the time by Claire Balding, Martyn Sadler, Eddie and Stevo etc.

I'm sure we hear the same about other players are too,and given that he has lead a team to six GF wins and three WCC he must be fairly influential ;)

#72 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

If it wasn't for Burrow producing a handful of magic moments last Season, Leeds wouldn't be anywhere near OT

Sinfield didn't lead them there. Burrow dragged them.

#73 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

The majority of armchair pundits maybe, but ask the people who have actually achieved something in RL ie the SL winning coaches, his fellow players and people who actually work within the game and they will tell you different, I wonder who's right?.

If you expect a SL winning coach to share his genuine opinions with a stranger then you're naive beyond imagination. Whether they think he's been useless, average, awfull or whatever they're never going to say that in conversation, interviews or in any articles they write. I guess you'll just see that as another easy, win win position for the anti Sinfield mob to take but hey ho whatever!

For the record, I like Sinfield, I respect Sinfield, I think he's been an absolute Legend for Leeds Rhinos and will rightfully sit up there with Lewis Jones, Arthur Clues, John Holmes as one of Ledds all time greats. His domestic form has been consistent for a decade and his leadership of his club throughout their most successful period ever has been amazing. He's a role model that any aspiring young player can look up to and as a coach and parent I'd encourage kids to learn from his example.

Unfortunately he's never been able to take his club form into a Test Match and sure that frustrates him more than any of us. I wish it weren't true because we could do with a payer who does internationally what Sinfield does for Leeds but after 30+ attempts its long past the time to admit that it's not ever going to happen and move on.

#74 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

If it wasn't for Burrow producing a handful of magic moments last Season, Leeds wouldn't be anywhere near OT

Apart from the 3 or 4 consecutive MoMs Sinfield received through the play offs up to and including the GF?

#75 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

If you expect a SL winning coach to share his genuine opinions with a stranger then you're naive beyond imagination. Whether they think he's been useless, average, awfull or whatever they're never going to say that in conversation, interviews or in any articles they write. I guess you'll just see that as another easy, win win position for the anti Sinfield mob to take but hey ho whatever!

For the record, I like Sinfield, I respect Sinfield, I think he's been an absolute Legend for Leeds Rhinos and will rightfully sit up there with Lewis Jones, Arthur Clues, John Holmes as one of Ledds all time greats. His domestic form has been consistent for a decade and his leadership of his club throughout their most successful period ever has been amazing. He's a role model that any aspiring young player can look up to and as a coach and parent I'd encourage kids to learn from his example.

Unfortunately he's never been able to take his club form into a Test Match and sure that frustrates him more than any of us. I wish it weren't true because we could do with a payer who does internationally what Sinfield does for Leeds but after 30+ attempts its long past the time to admit that it's not ever going to happen and move on.

Do you think we have any halfbacks that will consistently trouble the Aussies and the Kiwis.i personally don't think we do.

#76 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Absolute tosh and you know it

#77 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

JJB got MoM last night didn't he from the home crowd...they aren't worth the time taken to announce them

As for the Sky MoM the have even less credence

#78 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

JJB got MoM last night didn't he from the home crowd...they aren't worth the time taken to announce them

As for the Sky MoM the have even less credence

No,the crowd don't award the MoM.

#79 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Do you think we have any halfbacks that will consistently trouble the Aussies and the Kiwis.i personally don't think we do.

Not sure but I think it's time to find out,

Maybe we don't but we might have some who don't consistently fail and that would be progress.

#80 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Not sure but I think it's time to find out,

Maybe we don't but we might have some who don't consistently fail and that would be progress.

Would it? surely if we still lose with new halfbacks that isn't progress.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 21 May 2013 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users