Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Here we go again! Referee for The Doncaster match is a Mr. J. Cobb. Doncaster have some useful DR players, a guess at the probable team would be:

Micheal Butterfield

Stewart Sanderson
Danny Cowling - DR Wakefield
Liam Kaye - DR Wakefield
Dennis Tuffour

Paul Cooke
Craig Fawcett

Brett Waller
Kyle Kesik
Mark Castle
Michael Kelly
Chris Spur
Kyle Trout - DR Wakefield

Mike Emmett Second Row Forward/Hooker
Matt Carbutt Prop Forward
Adam Scott Prop Forward
Grant Edwards Loose Forward

Edited by Supporter, 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#2 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

donny is another tough game but one we should be winning at home. 28-18 my prediction

#3 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Emmett will probably rotate at Hooker with Kesik , we also have Waterman pushing for a recall plus Robinson , Edwards ,C Hughes & Brooke Broughton.

It is always tough travelling up & playing in Cumbria.

Edited by weighman, 21 May 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#4 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Emmett will probably rotate at Hooker with Kesik , we also have Waterman pushing for a recall plus Robinson , Edwards ,C Hughes & Brooke Broughton.
It is always tough travelling up & playing in Cumbria.

I just seen that Parramatta Eels Taulima Tautai has signed for the Wildcats until the end of the 2014 campaign and will join the club on Wednesday. Does that release another Wakefield prop for DR?

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

They haven't overhauled their side to much from last year which is commendable . Cowling impressed down here , remember he ran right through Mossop and was a real handful before I think he went off with a dislocated finger ? Watermans always a standout in this league to . Looking forward to it , closing Cooke down as ever is a key

#6 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

You couldn't have been given a worse person to referee. I'm not sure if you have had this kid before but BEWARE I have never seen a referee so far up his own ###### than this lad. Thack's better keep his mouth shut or he will be in for an early bath :pickeat:

Edited by wonderofwood, 21 May 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#7 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

its a game we HAVE to win and stop them getting a bonus point. we should be too strong for them at home and i expect us to win with a bit to spare. town 38 donny 18
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#8 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

We have had him , he looks very young . He did however ref Cumbria to the nines glory at Leeds !! We are on a bit of a roll and confidence is growing so we should be winning . I just want to see us produce a more holistic performance and not play for 20 here and there in between sloppy spells . When we do that there's no worries for us with our squad - we're beating teams in 40 or 50 minutes so far . Keep up the standard we can show and do show in spells and we can match anyone . Can we do it , hope so . Town to win and keep chugging upwards !

Edited by DavidM, 21 May 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#9 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Tough test this, I would be happy with a win even if they get a bp, you just don't know which Doncaster you will see, sometimes very good and sometimes very average.

Home advantage to sneak it by 8 pts

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'm intrigued by that Tautai story . I've seen him play centre but most of the time I've seen him he's been on the wing !!

#11 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm intrigued by that Tautai story . I've seen him play centre but most of the time I've seen him he's been on the wing !!

Correct, super knowledge David. He is predominantly a prop but started his career as a back and has plenty of experience playing both on the wing and centre position before converting himself into a barnstorming forward.

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

He sticks in my mind from Laurie Daley on commentary calling him Talima Toytown !! Certainly a winger in his Sharks and early Eels days , but these Polonesians are so massive there's no difference between wingers and props !!! They're physically set up to play anywhere ! 25 to so nice acquisition , plenty to come in his peak. These guys are looking to play regular footy for the WC.

Edited by DavidM, 21 May 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#13 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Reference the referee. I remember him now, he was the referee for the game against South Wales that we won 50 - 10. A young official that is thought to have a bright future in the game. Just noticed he was the referee in London on Sunday for the Whitehaven match.

Edited by Supporter, 21 May 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

He was , and we can see him sometime being a touchie in SL

#15 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

I predict a town win by 28 points to 6
And my team would be
Carter
Miller
Mossop
Connor
Calderwood
Forber
Phillips
Dowes
Matty
Coward
Walne
Stack
Lupton

Olstrom
Thackray
Acton if fit
Morris

Edited by scott, 21 May 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

You'd think Acton would have been put away for this one . Hopefully anyway as he gives tremendous muscle and momentum off the bench . Teams flagging after the initial exchanges struggle holding him .

#17 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Back to your Medical update idea David, it would be nice to know if he is back in training and if Phillips has started light training yet.

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Not what I think they'll do but just me ...maybe
Carter , Miller , Hulme , Morris , Calderwood , Lupton , Phillips , Thackray , Mattinson , Coward , Stack , Walne , Olstrum.
Connor , Acton , Shackley , Leuluai. Gee , tough one . Coaches welcome to it !!
I understand the Forber shout and I wouldn't give anyone to much of an argument but I'd really like to have a look at Peter & Callum . Peters been not to far off our best this year and I just think that's a good mix ... Youth n experience ,thoughtful string pulling and natural spontaneity , kicking and running .And theyre our two best half options at bringing players around and outside them into the game with their skills .Connor can give utility in the middle off the bench , and when he's on they must use his kicking game . Even if he's in the centres they must position him on last tackle to use his bomb, it is an ace weapon.

Edited by DavidM, 21 May 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#19 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

my team would be
carter
miller
connor
morris
calders
forber
phillips
thacks
matty
coward
stack
walne
olstrum

subs
lupton
acton(if fit,if not dowes)
leuleuai
shacks.

Edited by wonky, 21 May 2013 - 03:28 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Great debate . Leaving players out from strength . This is the position you want to be in and we rarely have been .