Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#41 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

The Doncaster Free Press today says: Coach Tony Miller is hoping that familiarity does not breed contempt when his Doncaster Dons side travel to Workington this weekend. The Dons beat Workington 26-4 in their last meeting back in February, and also faced the Cumbrian-based side three times in 2012 in Championship One competition. Miller admits that both sides will know what to expect from each other, and told this newspaper: “The side which makes the least errors on the day will probably come away with the three points. It's as simple as that."

Edited by Supporter, 22 May 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#42 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Nice to see that the Barrow Forum have faith in Town. In their "Tipping Competition Round 18", so far the predictions all favour a win for Town against Doncaster. Early days, but they predict: 30-18, 32-20, 28-12, 32-18 and 26-20.

#43 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

It would be nice if we could reciprocate but unfortunately I can't see past a Haven win by about 10.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#44 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

It would be nice if we could reciprocate but unfortunately I can't see past a Haven win by about 10.

The Forum is being realistic and most agree with you Keith, predicting a defeat for Barrow ranging from 10 to 16 points.

#45 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Nice to see that the Barrow Forum have faith in Town. In their "Tipping Competition Round 18", so far the predictions all favour a win for Town against Doncaster. Early days, but they predict: 30-18, 32-20, 28-12, 32-18 and 26-20.

If we play to our potential then the Barrow fans could be right, we need an 80 minute performance out of the boys. I would like to see Forber getting another game after last weeks great performance, his goal kicking could be vital if its close. I would start with connor on the bench. Any news on Jamie Acton ?

#46 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

On Sundays evidence leuleui offers far more to the team than Shackley the dual reg things irrelevant we need the best team possible on the field do agree on Connor but Ill be shocked if he isn't picked in all fairness given that he's been in the team since his arrival

#47 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Leuleui's defence was weak - shacks gave 100% has akways

#48 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

It is not a certainty that Leuluai will be available for us this Sunday or in the future unless a special arrangement (other than just DR) is made between the clubs. He is a regular member of the Widnes 19 man squad having been named in 12 squads this season out of 16.

#49 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Leuleui's defence was weak - shacks gave 100% has akways

Any examples of this weak defence I can't remember him being at fault for any tries the Hawks scored?
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#50 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Any examples of this weak defence I can't remember him being at fault for any tries the Hawks scored?

me neither.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#51 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

Just beat them by 13 or more please :drinks:

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#52 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

How can anyone even contemplate dropping Carl Forber after last weeks performance where by I'm astounded he didn't get mom! What exactly has Connor done since he's been here to warrant a place In the halves?

#53 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

How can anyone even contemplate dropping Carl Forber after last weeks performance where by I'm astounded he didn't get mom! What exactly has Connor done since he's been here to warrant a place In the halves?

i dont think anyone has said that connor should play in the halves, i totally agree forber should keep his place alongside callum but most people have suggested callum and lupton. its just opinions but carl has to start. we should be rewarding good performances and he was our stand out player last week.

#54 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

If we need anything at Town it's a try scoring centre - hard to find yes - but add 15 or so tries from 3-4 and you have a different team - I'd play forber and Callum 6-7 Lupton at 13 - olstrom looks like a centre to me

#55 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

If we need anything at Town it's a try scoring centre - hard to find yes - but add 15 or so tries from 3-4 and you have a different team - I'd play forber and Callum 6-7 Lupton at 13 - olstrom looks like a centre to me

the problem is our centres dont get enough ball and a player like karl,in the form that hes in, needs to be getting hold of the ball and the only way to do that is through the middle.

#56 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I would like to see MILLER giving a go at centre,he as got the pace and the power,you can see that when ,he take,s the ball up from the play the ball.Now i no that give,s us a problem to fill he,s place on the wing just a thought???

#57 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Not the worst shout mate . It's all about getting your most threatening players involved as much as possible . If you do that you have JP for the wing ? Just a thought but were always talking of trying things . Wonky hits the nail on the head though , you can have Greg Inglis there its pointless if the service is inadequate .Olstrum should never play out wide again . We saw it late last year when we were short and it didn't work at all . He's a born loose forward , he can cover at hooker but he needs to work on his passing to do that long term as it lags behind his running game . He's just a natural runner of the ball and likes to take them on himself !!!

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#58 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

The ball goes to the right enough for me - Karl has been outstanding this season and is strong with 3-4 round him so imagine him ne on one - he showed great pace and skill with his try against hunslet - but one thing he isn't is creative - yet he's in a creative position . I would only take DR if needed this week - no one from widnes has impressed me what so ever so far this season

#59 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

He makes 50 tackles though and 20 odd line bending runs , move him and you lose them numbers . I fully understand the point though about having a third pivot at 13 , I've mentioned it myself , but on performances he's made himself hard to shift . Lupton would give that option alongside two halves , but at the moment it isn't broke so its hard to tinker. It's always a thought though to maximise your attack down the line , but Karl's on top form , is really complimenting our front row muscle ,and is driving us on so let him do his thing while he's motoring . We always have the dimensions if we need to change which is good , but at present were on a bit of a roll and Karl is terrorising teams where he is .

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#60 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

So what position is Connor? Defo not a 6 for me but everyone keeps banging he drum to get him there- forber has improved loads this season and hardly misses a kick at goal -