Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#81 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Ha your right - nearly as bad as yours suggesting we sign JJP !

#82 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Get Hulme in at centre where he will be more comfortable than on the wing which is foreign to him.    I don't understand why we haven't made more use of him as he hasn't been getting game time at Widnes.    

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#83 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Connors injury is a perfect chance to get him in his natural position and give him some game time . I have found it a strange one I must say , we've needed more there . As we say though , we'll see what they do .

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#84 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Connors injury is a perfect chance to get him in his natural position and give him some game time . I have found it a strange one I must say , we've needed more there . As we say though , we'll see what they do .

Pity really that Kayle is injured. any centre is going to need quick good ball to make any impact in attack. However Donny arent that clever outwide so you should be able to exploit this whoever plays in the 3/4. OHH and I hope for gods sake on Sunday when you get a penalty you keep the ball out of Calders hands and kick for touch ?

Edited by wonderofwood, 23 May 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#85 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Quick good ball are the opportune words to exploit anyone . Yes , kicking for touch and kicking for goal if it takes you a further score clear !

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#86 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Plus a point that we haven't mentioned here we have a quick turn round this week as we are at Keighley on Thursday in the Premier Sports Televised match.     

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#87 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Plus a point that we haven't mentioned here we have a quick turn round this week as we are at Keighley on Thursday in the Premier Sports Televised match.     

At least Keighley have a hard game away to Leigh this Sunday.

#88 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

yeah good point Keith . 4 day turnaround is not ideal. I would expect a couple of DR this weekend. Lawton & Hulme possibly ?? Just hope , if selected, they give Hulme a chance in the centre's and Adam could play anywhere in the pack. Will be good for them to also meet back up with Walne, they have both done battle at amatuer level with each other during their junior days. ;) and some pretty hefty battles they where 

Edited by wonderofwood, 23 May 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#89 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Quick good ball are the opportune words to exploit anyone . Yes , kicking for touch and kicking for goal if it takes you a further score clear !

Yes maybe David....But not 2 metres from your own goal line with the wind at your back, we need to get it sorted you can't afford to give up easy yards in this league.

#90 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Not really about Doncaster but interesting rumour about Hock.

http://www.zerotackl...eels-deal-9735/

#91 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

If it is right that Morris is out with a damaged ankle then we may be struggling to put out a really strong positional team. By my reckoning, Widnes have only 22 players this weekend to select the 19 man squad from. Therefore, when it comes to players ( not just positions) available for DR, the mathematics is easy. I hope I'm wrong.

#92 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Get Hulme in at centre where he will be more comfortable than on the wing which is foreign to him.    I don't understand why we haven't made more use of him as he hasn't been getting game time at Widnes.

I'm surprised we never had a look at Hulme in the stand off role as I believe that is where he played all of his amateur rugby and was signed by Widnes as a 6 initially, and only converted to being a centre last year.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#93 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

If it is right that Morris is out with a damaged ankle then we may be struggling to put out a really strong positional team. By my reckoning, Widnes have only 22 players this weekend to select the 19 man squad from. Therefore, when it comes to players ( not just positions) available for DR, the mathematics is easy. I hope I'm wrong.

surely carter,miller,mossop,patrick,calders,forber,callum,coward,matty,dowes,walne,stack,olstrum. subs lupton,leuleuai,shacks and thacks is easily strong enough to beat doncaster without anyone having to play out of position.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#94 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

surely carter,miller,mossop,patrick,calders,forber,callum,coward,matty,dowes,walne,stack,olstrum. subs lupton,leuleuai,shacks and thacks is easily strong enough to beat doncaster without anyone having to play out of position.

Agreed, but your 17 includes Leuluai and unless you know differently, I don't think Widnes will have any forwards available this weekend for DR. Never-the-less, perhaps I was just being a pessimist after the drip feed of injury news appearing this week. No matter how big your squad, this sport can be very cruel. One minute the club is faced with who to leave out, which combination to use, the next minute, the choices are made for you through injuries etc. Although I personally would hate to see any Town team with the maximum number of DR players in it, I think the rigour of the second half of this season will inevitably mean that five players will never be available anyway.

Edited by Supporter, 24 May 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#95 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Agreed, but your 17 includes Leuluai and unless you know differently, I don't think Widnes will have any forwards available this weekend for DR. Never-the-less, perhaps I was just being a pessimist after the drip feed of injury news appearing this week.

i would think theyll be at least one, have widnes got anymore injuries from last week?

#96 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

i would think theyll be at least one, have widnes got anymore injuries from last week?

Not sure, Rhys Hanbury is back ( just signed a new contract as well), Hock is suspended, Davies is still at South Wales Scorpions and a further five or four are still on the official injury list. if they name Leuluai in the 19 I can't see another forward being available. Remember, it was only because they played on the Friday that he was available last Sunday. Depending on need, at least we may have DR positional players available for next Thursday as Widnes don't have a Friday night match, playing at home on the Sunday against Catalan.

Edited by Supporter, 24 May 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#97 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Not sure, Rhys Hanbury is back ( just signed a new contract as well), Hock is suspended, Davies is still at South Wales Scorpions and a further five or four are still on the official injury list. if they name Leuluai in the 19 I can't see another forward being available. Remember, it was only because they played on the Friday that he was available last Sunday. Depending on need, at least we may have DR positional players available for next Thursday as Widnes don't have a Friday night match, playing at home on the Sunday against Catalan.

lawton and hulme are apparently playing for town on sunday.

#98 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

both are now confirmed in the town squad on sunday. its a shame that mcgraff isnt coming up but big adam certainly adds size to our pack.

#99 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Brilliant news Wonky, you have brightened up my day!

#100 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

That is good news and I said Lawton needs game time in the Championship.He is not quite ready for Superleague but I am sure sometime next year he will be though.Seems like Leuluai in the Widnes 19.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users