Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#101 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

That is good news and I said Lawton needs game time in the Championship.He is not quite ready for Superleague but I am sure sometime next year he will be though.Seems like Leuluai in the Widnes 19.

do you think mcgraff will be surplus to requirements when hock returns?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#102 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yes and Cahill is back playing in 2 weeks time.

#103 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

A repeat of Lawtons last performance against Doncaster would be nice!!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#104 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Lawton and Walne is good . Being greedy it would have been perfect to have Macgraff to . We owe Donny a couple bigstyle , wanna rip into them . I presume this time Hulme is here to play centre , I'd play him and JP if Big Red is crocked , John has done well , he's big and strong and makes good yards . They won't but I often feel he's a but unlucky selection wise .

Edited by DavidM, 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#105 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

That's fair enough Abu . We have strong defensive centres but not the most dynamic attacking wise . Some is the delivery , some is them . Big Red is improving , Hulme is there but we don't seem to want to try him ??? That must be an area we look at come seasons end . Hopefully Rooney will be fit , but lots of talk when we played Carcassone about Aitken , yet the player that caught my eye was Troy Savage at number four - top notch player . Someone like that would be awesome . First thing I did was look up his pedigree - no surprise on what he showed !

Troy Savage is playing in oz now same team as seb martins

#106 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Maybe something to keep an eye on for next season . Cheers Donald. General point about looking at that position is fair though

Edited by DavidM, 24 May 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#107 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Only academic now, but the only fit player Widnes have available for DR after they picked the 19 man squad other than the two previously mentioned is Briscoe. Like us they have injury problems too.

#108 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Lawton and Walne is good . Being greedy it would have been perfect to have Macgraff to . We owe Donny a couple bigstyle , wanna rip into them . I presume this time Hulme is here to play centre , I'd play him and JP if Big Red is crocked , John has done well , he's big and strong and makes good yards . They won't but I often feel he's a but unlucky selection wise .

its an odd one to choose between jp and mossop. mossop isnt great in attack and often keeps hold of the ball instead of getting it out to elliot but hes solid as a rock in defence. whereas jp is a lot better in attack and makes better yards coming off our own line but he has a couple of holes in his defensive work.

#109 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Difficult one with Briscoe . We have Carter and then Eliott to play fullback so you'd think he'd have to play somewhere else if he came . He may be the best DR available but in reality he's the least needed !! Fair point that wonky . Up to them what they're looking for .

#110 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

By my calculations, Jordan Walne is still with us for the Keighley game but the month loan ends before the Leigh game? I hope we can extend his loan, great potential.

#111 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

By my calculations, Jordan Walne is still with us for the Keighley game but the month loan ends before the Leigh game? I hope we can extend his loan, great potential.

totally agree, as ive said before i think hell be a better player than his brother, and the longer we have him the better. brett will be back for leigh so it will be interesting to see what they do.

#112 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Keep him anyway , get Macgraff or Lawton or both if you can and get the best 17 available out on the paddock ! Be as strong as you can , help our guys with their workload and maintain our momentum . No time to mess about now , help yourself coz everyone else is . Cant have enough good players , I'm convinced by that , wherever theyre from .And not rotating will hurt you in the long run .

Edited by DavidM, 24 May 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#113 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Keep him anyway , get Macgraff or Lawton or both if you can and get the best 17 available out on the paddock ! Be as strong as you can , help our guys with their workload and maintain our momentum . No time to mess about now , help yourself coz everyone else is . Cant have enough good players , I'm convinced by that , wherever theyre from .And not rotating will hurt you in the long run .

Couldn't agree more! Not just looking to avoid relegation now, more looking towards doing well in the grand Final series. Time now though (before it is too late), to remember the respective DR rules for this latter stages.
"B3:16 Dual Registered Players shall only be eligible to play in these Grand Final series provided that the player has played in at least six of the club’s Championships fixtures during the season in question and in this context Championships fixtures shall mean either League Cup and League fixtures. Clubs shall be entitled to apply for a dispensation under this rule where the Player has been injured." I'm not saying our own squad isn't good enough on their own (because they are) more a case of keeping options open "just in case".

Edited by Supporter, 24 May 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#114 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yes we have a good squad but there's nothing wrong with augmenting that strength and working from a bigger pool so players have a managed workload . And no one else is beating their chest and losing sleep due to moral guilt in using DR so why should we ? Big season this , avoid relegation and aim for a good finish - that builds confidence and attracts players for next year . DR is an extension to an already fine squad who's done us proud and they may help us achieve a bit more and help us from running low on bodies again . It shows intent to improve to . We've managed it very well so far , we may need to take advantage of it more in the second half as the games come and injuries hit , and we need to maintain our strength to keep moving forward . I can't see Widnes in the playoffs so how many can we get 6 games from just in case !!!!

Edited by DavidM, 24 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#115 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

out of contract ths year as well

#116 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Yes we have a good squad but there's nothing wrong with augmenting that strength and working from a bigger pool so players have a managed workload . And no one else is beating their chest and losing sleep due to moral guilt in using DR so why should we ? Big season this , avoid relegation and aim for a good finish - that builds confidence and attracts players for next year . DR is an extension to an already fine squad who's done us proud and they may help us achieve a bit more and help us from running low on bodies again . It shows intent to improve to . We've managed it very well so far , we may need to take advantage of it more in the second half as the games come and injuries hit , and we need to maintain our strength to keep moving forward . I can't see Widnes in the playoffs so how many can we get 6 games from just in case !!!!

Bottom of the league?lol

#117 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Widnes are stuggling to get six games out of their own squad let alone DR squad members for six . Hulme will be on six after this week and I think Lawton would have to feature in another three , after that your really in trouble.Gore has played twice and Mcgraff once. For me its the forwards where toward the end of the season you will need re inforcements. Its a long old season for the likes of Thacks and Dowes but if you put a positive spin on Acton and Brett being out at least its giving them a rest . Money could be a factor but Walne , and Ive not seen him play since his junior days at St Judes , would be a good bet for the rest of the season. The lad could even do a job at loose forward if required. Big bruising non nonsense prop forward is required for me  :ph34r:

#118 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

By the way TOWN FAN 10 if that is the best you can post just don,t bother mate,you would expect that from one of the jams?

has the troll created a new username.

#119 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hard to find any information about the Doncaster team for tomorrow other than:
"Doncaster could travel without Mick Butterfield and Craig Robinson who have both picked up wrist injuries and Grant Edwards will miss out with his neck injury.
Kyle Trout has been recalled by his parent club Wakefield for their Magic Weekend fixture (actually played this afternoon) but Danny Cowling (DR) and Liam Kay (DR) are available for selection."
I would guess Lee Waterman will replace Butterfield if not fit.

Edited by Supporter, 25 May 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#120 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

IT was good to here that both Lawson and Hulme will be in the squad tomorrow, the only thing that i have a worry about is lack of game time? be good to get both on loan,i think it would benefit both clubs would it not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users