Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tories are not Swivel-Eyed Loons...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Are you real?

And what on earth do you mean by "a cheap shot"?

If you had just said that someone's opinions can't be excused by their personal circumstances, that would be perfectly reasonable. But your comment combines pomposity and heartlessness. Not a good combination!

Tebbit's point, incidentally, although expressed with language you wouldn't normally expect from him, and which I would guess his personal pressures had something to do with, was that the was that the government has not thought through the ramifications of this piece of legislation.

I think he's right on that, and I think you can say it about many pieces of legislation this government has enacted.

Strewth. Tebbitts personal situation has nothing to do with his political statements which should be challenged, as anyone else's would be, without worrying of being seen of picking on a man in a vulnerable state.

Edited to make my point clearer.

Edited by Severus, 25 May 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#22 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Strewth. Tebbitts personal situation has nothing to do with his political statements and should be challenged, as anyone else's would be, without worrying of being seen of picking on a man in a vulnerable state.

Severus, I take it you don't mean what you have posted here; at least, I hope that is the case.

#23 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Severus, I take it you don't mean what you have posted here; at least, I hope that is the case.

I don't follow. What I am saying is that his personal situation is irrelevant to this discussion.
Fides invicta triumphat

#24 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Are you real?

And what on earth do you mean by "a cheap shot"?

If you had just said that someone's opinions can't be excused by their personal circumstances, that would be perfectly reasonable. But your comment combines pomposity and heartlessness. Not a good combination!

Tebbit's point, incidentally, although expressed with language you wouldn't normally expect from him, and which I would guess his personal pressures had something to do with, was that the was that the government has not thought through the ramifications of this piece of legislation.

I think he's right on that, and I think you can say it about many pieces of legislation this government has enacted.

I object to the accusation of heartlessness and pomposity. I think it is crass to bring up his personal situation in a discussion where it bears no relevance.
Fides invicta triumphat

#25 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I don't follow. What I am saying is that his personal situation is irrelevant to this discussion.

Your first sentence reads that his personal situation should be challenged. "Personal situation" is still the subject noun phrase in the second part of the sentence because of the way you worded it. HTH

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#26 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Read your post again.

#27 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Your first sentence reads that his personal situation should be challenged. "Personal situation" is still the subject noun phrase in the second part of the sentence because of the way you worded it. HTH

Thanks Tony and Longboard, my fault with the poor wording. What I meant to say that anyone's statements should be challenged and their personal situation should not mitigate any form if criticism. I'll edit my post.

Edited by Severus, 25 May 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#28 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Tony and Longboard, my fault with the poor wording. What I meant to say that anyone's statements should be challenged and their personal situation should not mitigate any form if criticism. I'll edit my post.

No one ever took David Blunkett's personal situation into account before criticising his views or his acts as a minister.  Neither should they.  I think this just about covers it.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,493 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

No one ever took David Blunkett's personal situation into account before criticising his views or his acts as a minister.  Neither should they.  I think this just about covers it.

Or Gordon Brown's

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users