League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Could Britain ever legalise 2 women-1 man marriage?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I know the debate at the moment is on homosexual marriage. However one quote I heard was about what actually defines 'marriage'? And asked whether equality rights couldn't be extended to marriages with more than one person ie: 2 women and 1 man, or 2 men and 1 women, or 3 gay men etc.

At the moment 49 countries in the world recognise these marriages mostly in North Africa, Middle East and in India and South East Asia.

However in February 2008 the UK allowed welfare benefits to be given to those in these types of relationships and in Russia two years ago a bill was proposed for this too (which will likely be defeated).

In 2012 Brazil announced the first ever three person civil partnerships, despite much Christian opposition. A union is also permitted in Australia. There are an estimated 500,000 people in these relationships in the United States, with some wanting more rights.

I'll be honest I could see this form becoming more popular, particularly with younger people. I met a girl once (a friend of a friend) whose boyfriend had another girlfriend and for some reason she seemed fine with it (she was 20).

There are likely to be many men who would not object to this and I do think that characteristically there could be a minority of women who wouldn't either if they fell for the same man. It would be like the animals!! One alpha male with two+ women!!

Views? The next step in marriage/civil rights equality or just completely un-British and wrong???

2012 The Guardian article advocating three person marriage

Views?

#2 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

My view is that one woman imposing celebacy and decorating on you is quite enough, never mind two.

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

At the risk of sounding like a Les Dawson joke, why would anyone want two bleeding wives? I'm with Stan

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Why stop at gay marriage? Let's get rid of any moral ambiguity, eh? Sodomy is legal, whats next? bestiality ? Incest? Peodophilia? The country is a joke!

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Why stop at gay marriage? Let's get rid of any moral ambiguity, eh? Sodomy is legal, whats next? bestiality ? Incest? Peodophilia? The country is a joke!

Haven't you just come back from a ban?! :S

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Wow. Get off the fence will you?

#7 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Haven't you just come back from a ban?! :S

Yes, a suspension for questioning a referees integrity! So, what your saying is, you want me banned for not agreeing with unnatural practices? I'm sure I havn't swore! Just stated the obvious morale collapse of this once great country!

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yes, a suspension for questioning a referees integrity! So, what your saying is, you want me banned for not agreeing with unnatural practices? I'm sure I havn't swore! Just stated the obvious morale collapse of this once great country!

I don't want anyone banned. Pretty sure we weren't that great.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Superb. Enjoy this while you can because it will end in tears.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Superb. Enjoy this while you can because it will end in tears.

Indeed, 2 divorces. Oh, you didn't mean the actual thread topic...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Surely marriage itself is an "unnatural practice" I can't think of any other primates that live monogamous lives.

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Surely marriage itself is an "unnatural practice" I can't think of any other primates that live monogamous lives.

Bonobos. Oh, wait...
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#13 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Bonobos. Oh, wait...

Ha ha.

#14 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

This 'once great country' once found it acceptable, even desirable, to persecute and drive to suicide a man whose intellect had helped it win the Second World War, just because he was gay.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Alan_Turing

Thankfully, such attitudes have changed out of all recognition. And that's what makes Britain a great country, IMO.

In 5-10 years time, when lots of gay people have got married and the earth hasn't tilted off its axis as a result, this whole debate will seem as if it took place in the stone age, just like the persecution of Alan Turing seems to us now.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

If the morale of the people in England (and Wales?) has collapsed, then it is naff all to do with the debate on same-sex marriage.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Robert Runcie

Justin Welsby

Donald Coggan

George Carey

Rowan Williams

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Oh dear - when someone starts to use words like unnatural and moral (which I guess is what was many rather than the quite different morale) it's already an argument you cannot win. Indeed, if someone conflates loving consensual relationships with beastiality and paedophilia then they have a morality issue.

LUNEW.jpg

#18 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

15391d1369041769-gay-marriage-thing-5351

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

3 gay men in a marriage? No chance whatsoever of any problems there then. :)

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

I know I'll attract the usual flak, but any such authorised polygamy would be cynically exploited by foreigners seeking to emigrate and claim social security in  the UK.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users