Dewsbury Rams 24 Swinton Lions 16 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hardly development areas though are they ?

For those of us of a certain age, yes they are. I think that you will find that it wasn't so many years ago that Cumbrian clubs were classed as development clubs in terms of the number of overseas players they were allowed.

My point however is one of perspective. Sheffield were a development club, as were Nottingham etc, a few years ago; before that the Cumbrian clubs along with Welsh clubs were in development areas; before that it was featherstone; and before that Cornwall and Devon. It all depends just how far back you create the artificial barriers of "them and us".

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

For those of us of a certain age, yes they are. I think that you will find that it wasn't so many years ago that Cumbrian clubs were classed as development clubs in terms of the number of overseas players they were allowed.

My point however is one of perspective. Sheffield were a development club, as were Nottingham etc, a few years ago; before that the Cumbrian clubs along with Welsh clubs were in development areas; before that it was featherstone; and before that Cornwall and Devon. It all depends just how far back you create the artificial barriers of "them and us".

Go far enough back to when the founding clubs had their own little league, then I suppose even we were a development club, but I remember Barrow and Worky being powerful and well supported clubs when I became hooked on the game in the early sixties.

#23 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

when I became hooked on the game in the early sixties.

Is that around the same time you got hooked on LSD casual sex and wearing flowers in your hair GOR?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#24 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Anyone got any team news for the game on Sunday? Heard Aaron Brown might be carrying a knock.Looks like Bradford Bulls have left out Michael Platt for the game against Huddersfield,what are the chances of him been in our team on Sunday ?

#25 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Nar..only Batley.  Now if they went down that would be grand.....Nice of others to comment on the friendliness of your fans and to be honest I have to agree, but unfortunately two teams have got to go down and if its the team that chose to play Morley, Briers etc  I aint losing any sleep.  Rest assured however that Batley are my first choice....

"Rest assured however that Batley are my first choice...."
and why is that Nick?...I guess you and your buddies don't like the long treck to the mount ?..

#26 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Is that around the same time you got hooked on LSD casual sex and wearing flowers in your hair GOR?

Whose been talking ? :O

#27 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Anyone got any team news for the game on Sunday? Heard Aaron Brown might be carrying a knock.Looks like Bradford Bulls have left out Michael Platt for the game against Huddersfield,what are the chances of him been in our team on Sunday ?

This isn't for tomorrow but I hear from a fellow Dewsbury fan that we have signed paaeleasina, could be true could be false, I'll wait until the website says we have signed him to see if it really is true...
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

On form we should win this one, as we should have the Workington game.

All the same I reckon we'll get on another roll at last:

Dews 28 - 16 Lions

Att 825

I forgot about "Magic Weekend" ™ so make that att 740.

BTW did any older fans notice the similarity between Justin Carney and Jack Austin? (Except for the pace, obviously :smoke: )

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

I forgot about "Magic Weekend" ™ so make that att 740.

BTW did any older fans notice the similarity between Justin Carney and Jack Austin? (Except for the pace, obviously :smoke: )

Austin couldn't have stopped a pig in a ginnel, whereas Carneys legs look more or less straight - but I can se what you mean. Of course Carney will never get tries laid on a plate by Rangi C in the same way that Jacko had them from Johnny Wolford. ;)

#30 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Rams by 10
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#31 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Michael Platt is in the starting line up for the rams .

#32 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

As i said last week

cant play 2 games the same can dewsbury

will be a brave man who comes on here spouting positives & and great perfomance

uninspired unentertaining undiluted run of the mill rugby league...
im convinced we played 75 mintutes in the second half it was long as a speccy.

cowboy ronnie in the middle kept a sense of ..can we blow it again or not..right up to the end of the game with his own impression of the rules...sometime baffling us all to the point where steve gansons bad decisions would make sense.

a win is a win that is all that can be said.
2 poor teams battling out a dire one up rugby game on a beautiful day...

maybe in my old age..im just harder to please ;)

#33 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

It was a dour game at times , but a win is a win as they say. I thought Ronnie Laughton played his part in making it a dour match though. He allowed Swinton to lay on most of the game.  Poor crowd.

#34 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I would read the Lions forum before criticising Ronnie L.

He must be the most hated Ref as far as Lions fans are concerned.

Good bonus point for us though.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#35 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ronnie laughton was rubbish for both team

he neither helped us win nor played a part in swinton losing.

rubbish for both teams and nobody can dispute that. ;)

#36 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Laughton was indeed poor for both teams. I know being a referee isn't easy. Its a thankless task.  The attendance today was less than 700. Quite worrying really. If we  aren't careful The Dogs will be getting bigger crowds than us.

#37 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Think the more concerning thing is...

nobodys been on all night singing any praises

that is worry after a victory ;)

#38 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

A less than stunning display of free flowing rugby, but perhaps expected after a slightly longer period between games and the WIN against Halifax.

The referee was appalling and feel he did nothing to help the match bad decisions affecting both sides. After seeing a few Dewsbury matches now I am starting to wonder why there is a touch judge as he (and others) did very little to 'help' the man in the middle!!! Nice to see GM giving the officials what for at times in the 2nd Half!

Credit to Swinton they kept attacking and both defences played well - and that about sums up the match, defences on show!

A win is a win and I thought there were some good yet stifled performances but the lads got the job done. 

Cannot believe how they try to throw the match away yet again in the last few minutes and disappointed not to have avoided giving away the bonus point  - but I suppose it keeps the heart going!

The match was poorly attended and at times felt the crowd were attending a funeral rather than watching a live game of rugby league... A complete contrast to the noise of that Thursday night.

Another step on the confidence ladder in time for the local derby against Batley.

#39 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

Another step on the confidence ladder in time for the local derby against Batley.

No doubt when you will be soundly thrashed and Coolie starts his prozak treatment in a last attempt to cheer him up ;lol:

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#40 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Not sure how Watkinson got MOM - thought he was quit anonymous - not the only one though. Stand out back for me was Scott, who looks to have put on a bit of pace and had a "penny in his pocket" for most of the match. Think we need Brown on the field from the start and at stand off - wasted on the bench. Hope we  keep Platt for a bit - quiet yesterday but has proven class and experience. Kicking game still woeful and needs sorting. All in all though, a win is a win and gives us a little (but not much) breathing space. Not too worried about the crowd, as it was up against the magic weekend, and on a bank holiday, and I wouldn't be surprised given the weather if some didn't go to Headingley to watch our traditional summer sport.

A less than stunning display of free flowing rugby, but perhaps expected after a slightly longer period between games and the WIN against Halifax.

The referee was appalling and feel he did nothing to help the match bad decisions affecting both sides. After seeing a few Dewsbury matches now I am starting to wonder why there is a touch judge as he (and others) did very little to 'help' the man in the middle!!! Nice to see GM giving the officials what for at times in the 2nd Half!

Credit to Swinton they kept attacking and both defences played well - and that about sums up the match, defences on show!

A win is a win and I thought there were some good yet stifled performances but the lads got the job done. 

Cannot believe how they try to throw the match away yet again in the last few minutes and disappointed not to have avoided giving away the bonus point  - but I suppose it keeps the heart going!

The match was poorly attended and at times felt the crowd were attending a funeral rather than watching a live game of rugby league... A complete contrast to the noise of that Thursday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users