Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Dewsbury Rams 24 Swinton Lions 16 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Not sure how Watkinson got MOM - thought he was quit anonymous - not the only one though. Stand out back for me was Scott, who looks to have put on a bit of pace and had a "penny in his pocket" for most of the match. Think we need Brown on the field from the start and at stand off - wasted on the bench. Hope we  keep Platt for a bit - quiet yesterday but has proven class and experience. Kicking game still woeful and needs sorting. All in all though, a win is a win and gives us a little (but not much) breathing space. Not too worried about the crowd, as it was up against the magic weekend, and on a bank holiday, and I wouldn't be surprised given the weather if some didn't go to Headingley to watch our traditional summer sport.

I reckon most just stayed at home with a barbecue and the telly. A worryingly low attendance all the same, despite other attractions, and poor reward for those working so hard to make the club successful.

Scott played better but I guess that you missed him going awol once again when Swinton scored in the corner as it was in front of the South stand as distinct from the cosy seats. I thought Morton's efforts were outstanding and would have given him the MoM but generally most played OK and we deserved the win, just. Why we try to throw away winning leads still baffles me though: we were comfortably 12 points in the lead with a couple of minutes remaining when we forced a pass in midfield for no apparent reason, then after conceding that try we try a grubber kick with the clock ticking down. Still, I suppose if Kevin Sinfield thinks it's a good tactic who am I to criticise?

I must confess to some confusion regarding coaching decisions though. We are short in the forwards and don't appear to be making too much headway with the props, with Azue useful as an impact player but not a 50 minute man, yet there is no place for Lillicrop in the side (I believe that he isn't carrying any injury). We appear to be very unstructured in attack with no moves to speak of and all in one line/bunch depending upon circumstances. Either the players are incapable of dummy runs or told not to make them but we very rarely create any gaps in the opposition defence.

Still we needed a win, and we got it, although I can't go to the Mount next week with unbridled optimism - it really depends which Dewsbury team shows up on the day.

I don't like to criticise referees, so I won't. :angry:

:hi:

Edited by Blind side johnny, 27 May 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#42 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Unfortunately I had to miss the game, but attendances are a problem across Championship and looking at Headingley Test Match to day on a Bank Holiday Monday and a winning England team, still half empty.

On the playing front cannot comment other than to say another win. If/when we put some daylight between us and relegation spots then maybe we will open up our play. Couple of heavy defeats for York and Keighley but Doncaster seem to be picking up some good wins. All to play for.

Roll on Batley next week. BTW why didn't we play Batley on a Bank Holiday weekend?

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 27 May 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#43 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Firstly as said before a wins a win, but we played dumb rugby for 60 minutes, the four subs seemed to liven up the game considerably, with Brown scoring and Aizue impressing.
What about our injuries............
1.....thought Brown was being rested due to knee injury, why risk him, he lasted 20 minutes before coming of injured, if he needs rest then rest him we need him playing for the full game.
2.....Wright has injured his arm, how serious is it, did not look good at the end.

Can anyone let me know what's going on with Jy-Mel is he injured or what.

Why not play Goulding and Brown in the halfbacks for a couple of games, would be an outstanding combination.

#44 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Firstly as said before a wins a win, but we played dumb rugby for 60 minutes, the four subs seemed to liven up the game considerably, with Brown scoring and Aizue impressing.
1.....thought Brown was being rested due to knee injury, why risk him, he lasted 20 minutes before coming of injured, if he needs rest then rest him we need him playing for the full game.
2.....Wright has injured his arm, how serious is it, did not look good at the end.

Wrighty could be out for a few weeks.

Why not play Goulding and Brown in the halfbacks for a couple of games, would be an outstanding combination.

#45 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I wish I could comment on Jy Mel and where he stands on injury, he was injured the last time I heard anything about him, and I agree with you on Aaron Brown as I thought we would have rested him for the mount next week, I think Ryan may have recovered from the injury, maybe it wasn't serious?

I think that Goulding and Hyde are a good halfback pair, just like I think Brown and Coleman are, but your opinion is your opinion, and I would like to see Goulding and Brown together, maybe they're good together we don't know. A good win on Sunday although the first half wasn't the best we have had.

Edited by Kelsey The Ram, 28 May 2013 - 03:27 PM.

"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#46 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Crown Flatter Can I have a copy of your Euromillions numbers for tomorrow night please!!!

We shouldn't get too confident. We have a task to perform and must work hard to overcome whomsoever plays for the Lions.
I wouldn't wish them to be relegated as I have enjoyed the friendliness of their fans, most noticeable in recent times when they played at Whitefield.

Dewsbury 24 - 16 Swinton
Att: 674

#47 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

I wish I could comment on Jy Mel and where he stands on injury, he was injured the last time I heard anything about him, and I agree with you on Aaron Brown as I thought we would have rested him for the mount next week, I think Ryan may have recovered from the injury, maybe it wasn't serious?

I think that Goulding and Hyde are a good halfback pair, just like I think Brown and Coleman are, but your opinion is your opinion, and I would like to see Goulding and Brown together, maybe they're good together we don't know. A good win on Sunday although the first half was the best we have had.

The problem with Goulding and Hyde is when they are on field our kicking game is shocking. Brown has to start at 6 and I would prefer Jy-Mel at 7, but Goulding and Brown would be worth a look...

#48 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Would like to see Goulding and Brown play together cause you have two young players with a point to prove(ie good enough for super league). They both have pace, a good side step, a pretty decent kicking game and will cause problems for any defence in this league.
Jy-Mel tries to play 6,7 and 9 all at once and cancels out other players, would like to see him at loose for a couple of games.

Any news on the injuries to Wright and Brown?

#49 My Father was a Desert Rat

My Father was a Desert Rat
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Not sure how Watkinson got MOM - thought he was quit anonymous - not the only one though. Stand out back for me was Scott, who looks to have put on a bit of pace and had a "penny in his pocket" for most of the match. Think we need Brown on the field from the start and at stand off - wasted on the bench. Hope we  keep Platt for a bit - quiet yesterday but has proven class and experience. Kicking game still woeful and needs sorting. All in all though, a win is a win and gives us a little (but not much) breathing space. Not too worried about the crowd, as it was up against the magic weekend, and on a bank holiday, and I wouldn't be surprised given the weather if some didn't go to Headingley to watch our traditional summer sport.

I think Watkinson got MOM because his sponsors were picking it. Platt maybe, but play him at full back instead of Pryce. Or better still, play Craven!

"A four-hour tour of a local hll: Pudsey, Tingley, Hanging Heaton, Shaw Cross, Batley, Dewsbury, Chickenley, Earlsheaton, Gawthorpe, Horbury, Castleford, Pontefract, Normanton, Hemsworth, Fitzwilliam, Sharlston, and Streethouse.

Hard towns for hard men".

David Peace. 1974.

#50 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I think Watkinson got MOM because his sponsors were picking it. Platt maybe, but play him at full back instead of Pryce. Or better still, play Craven!

Talking of our "fullback" why did he go straight down the tunnel at full time when the rest of the team came to congratulate the fans? Does he think he's bigger than the club because if he does he knows where the door is.

#51 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Heckler , what you dont know is that pryce injured his back and should have come off during the second half , unfortunatley we only had forwards left fit though  so he stayed on . When the game ended he went straight to physio as he was in pain. i think wright is out for the season and brown is quite badly hurt .he volunteered to try to play last sunday which in  hindsight might not have been the best policy .

#52 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Bad news about Wright,results have been better with his return to th team,hope we can keep O'brian for the rest of the season.Tebby might have a chance to get in the team too.

#53 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Heckler , what you dont know is that pryce injured his back and should have come off during the second half , unfortunatley we only had forwards left fit though  so he stayed on . When the game ended he went straight to physio as he was in pain. i think wright is out for the season and brown is quite badly hurt .he volunteered to try to play last sunday which in  hindsight might not have been the best policy .

Thank you for clearing that up GFDU as it was deliberated in the South Stand by a number of fans after the game. Nice to have a response from the club - for once.

#54 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Just a thought, but during the after match announcements, MOM awards etc, GM could have made reference to the players commitment to the Rams and informed the supporters about some, if not all this information.

The bad news about player injuries can actually have a positive effect and bring players and fans together, especially in the case of KP who gets enough stick anyway.

Sometimes the lack of information is more damaging than the truth.

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#55 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Just a thought, but during the after match announcements, MOM awards etc, GM could have made reference to the players commitment to the Rams and informed the supporters about some, if not all this information.

The bad news about player injuries can actually have a positive effect and bring players and fans together, especially in the case of KP who gets enough stick anyway.

Sometimes the lack of information is more damaging than the truth.

True.

If only someone from the club read these postings occasionally, and acted upon them.

Sigh!!

:girlwerewolf:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users