TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

8 Minutes more in an NRL game by order of the management

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

NRL reckons there's 8 minutes lost through players wasting time. New rules are being brought in straight away but will only be enforced with penalties from Round 15 onwards.

The NRL has issued a crackdown on time-wasting in a bid to regain an estimated eight minutes of match time every game.

Rules being introduced this week will require teams to be ready to pack for a scrum within 30 seconds of one being awarded, and the 40-second time limit for line drop-outs has also been cut to 30 seconds.

Failure to do so will result in a penalty, but only from round 15 onwards once the rule changes are properly enforced.

"Due to the fact these changes are to be introduced a third of the way through a season, we believe that a period of adjustment for players and officials to this amendment is required,'' general manager of football operations, Nathan McGuirk, said in a statement.

"Which is why penalties will not be enforced until the start of round 15."

The reasoning behind this is that they believe up to eight minutes of the game time is lost through overly slow packing of scrums and by implication at drop outs.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

Geoff Toovey's not impressed with the decision:-

http://news.smh.com....0522-2k097.html

He's got a point about changing rules mid-season. If it's such a big deal, why not wait til the start of next year. Although I've never considered the speed scrums are formed to be a problem. Odd how the games authorities have suddenly decided it is a problem. On Monday night, for example, I doubt Melbourne and Manly would've been in the mood for speeding the game up. The Storm boys in particular looked like they could've done with going slower.

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

From that link you put thirteenthman:

Manly prop George Rose wanted to wait until the rules were formally introduced next month before expressing how much they would change the game.

"You've usually got one team rushing to the scrum to get the ball back and the other one's slowing it down," Rose said.

"I guess I won't know (how much it will affect me) until we start doing it."

I can just picture a new look, svelte George Rose, racing nimbly to form scrums, in fact gamboling lightly all across the park just to satisfy the new ruling. :D

#4 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

I won't hold my breath waiting for the blind mice,(game officials) to police this latest knee jerk rule change :tongue:

How consistent have they been with the time limit on goal line drop outs ?

or even tackle times ? Some tackles go for ever after GET OFF has been called by the official,then a milli second to long on another tackle and PENALTY.

Until they get an iron clad set of rules with no grey areas that lazy officials can twist nothing will change :elf:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#5 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I won't hold my breath waiting for the blind mice,(game officials) to police this latest knee jerk rule change :tongue:

How consistent have they been with the time limit on goal line drop outs ?

or even tackle times ? Some tackles go for ever after GET OFF has been called by the official,then a milli second to long on another tackle and PENALTY.

Until they get an iron clad set of rules with no grey areas that lazy officials can twist nothing will change :elf:

Reminds of a big fat coach stood barking out the orders :shout:

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#6 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

I can just picture a new look, svelte George Rose

No. Sorry, I have tried, but I just can't picture it. :biggrin:

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Picture

Just W R O N G :tongue:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Picture

At least his toes look sprightly! :sarcastic:

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Picture

It is wrong. No way is George that slim...  ;)

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just heard Craig Bellamy's weekly training session talk to the media.

he was treading lightly over this issue.

When asked he was generally none committal.

He agreed that there was a concern about changes being made mid season. He was also hoping that a ref would give players a warning if they were too slow for his liking so they could hurry up before any penalty was given.

To lose a close game at the end by giving such a penalty away would be heartbreaking.

I guess a team would only make that mistake once.

IMO the ref's should warn the players about their slowness in these matters to begin with and how they'd be penalised unless an immediate scrum was formed or a kick was made. The rounds up until Round 15 will, I expect, be used for this purpose.

Edited by G Las D, 23 May 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#11 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Why cant they just give them x number of seconds once the scrum is called, then stop the clock after that time is up. No time wasted.

#12 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Maybe that's just too sensible. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users