Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

25/05/13 - Hull FC v Hull Kingston Rovers - KO 16:30

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Hull FC (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Voted Hull Kingston Rovers (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Draw (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hang on, he's said sorry, he has given an explanation

The fact you don't believe it says more about you than anything else...

#162 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Well, he should learn how to coach defence then because that's the real tragedy. His team wouldn't be in this position in the first place if they knew how, or could be bothered to defend.

I thought Hull KRs defence was terrific on Saturday.

#163 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

He made a mistake and admitted it

Will Greg Eden do the same?

Greg Eden only had one chance - any apology from him only need be made to his team mates.

Ganson had repeated chances - he still got it wrong and must now apologise to the whole RL world.

Ganson's position as Referees Coach is now clearly untenable.

#164 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hang on, he's said sorry, he has given an explanation

The fact you don't believe it says more about you than anything else...

Please explain the explanation to me.

#165 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

So did I but Eden has been prone to mistakes all season I think we all know why Huddersfield got rid.

#166 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Please explain the explanation to me.

He was looking at the wrong player when assessing the offside.

It's not a complex explanation

Yes it's a massively simple thing for him to have for wrong, but it happens. Ganson will pay the price for it in the end.

But it is a classic case of these things evening themselves out over time

It's also a classic case of a fullback that didn't even try to catch the ball, letting it bounce and conceding a try because of it.

#167 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

So did I but Eden has been prone to mistakes all season I think we all know why Huddersfield got rid.

I know but Hull KR defended much better than previous. If I was Hull KR I'd get him out of full back in defence and put hall there.

#168 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

He was looking at the wrong player when assessing the offside.

It's not a complex explanation

Yes it's a massively simple thing for him to have for wrong, but it happens. Ganson will pay the price for it in the end.

But it is a classic case of these things evening themselves out over time

It's also a classic case of a fullback that didn't even try to catch the ball, letting it bounce and conceding a try because of it.

Rubbish. The explanation is an excercise in damage limitation - management of the media in a crisis and nothing but. As soon as I saw the phrase "mistaken identity" being used I started to laugh.

You can continue to believe the tosh that you are fed by origanisations through the mass media if you wish but I'll continue to make my own mind up if that's all right thanks.

#169 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

You can continue to believe the tosh that you are fed by origanisations through the mass media if you wish but I'll continue to make my own mind up if that's all right thanks.

Just to be clear, what do you think actually happened?

#170 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

So what do you think happened?
What do you think the RFL should do to explain the situation?
And what do you think should happen as a result?

I hope these answers are as well thought out as your criticism...
Posted Image

#171 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

I know but Hull KR defended much better than previous. If I was Hull KR I'd get him out of full back in defence and put hall there.

To be fair, Eden had been dropped for the last two games but with Gleeson, Welham and Hodgson missing Hall had to play centre.

The reason Hull KR lost this game was the injury to Lovegrove on 60 minutes. Lovegrove and Paea had the Hull pack in their pocket until that point. They were already playing the game with 16 men after George was injured on three minutes and looked tired as crucial calls went against them at the end denying them possession.

#172 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

It was terrific for 70 minutes. When Hull stepped it up in the closing stages it cracked and it cracked in a big way. There were holes all over the place.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#173 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

It was terrific for 70 minutes. When Hull stepped it up in the closing stages it cracked and it cracked in a big way. There were holes all over the place.

And credit to Hull's defence, Rovers should have been further in front, especially given their first half dominance.

#174 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

I don't see where all this surprise at Ganson's error comes from. Although I actually think he has been one of our better officials in terms of game control and consistency of decision making over the last decade, his one major flaw has been his propensity for a gaffe in a high profile / pressure situation. Nothing sinister about it.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#175 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

I've just read that properly and understand what you mean. I'm not sure I'd want Eden defending on the centre either. I haven't looked recently, but at one time this season his tackle success rate was 33%!

#176 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

To be fair, Eden had been dropped for the last two games but with Gleeson, Welham and Hodgson missing Hall had to play centre.

The reason Hull KR lost this game was the injury to Lovegrove on 60 minutes. Lovegrove and Paea had the Hull pack in their pocket until that point. They were already playing the game with 16 men after George was injured on three minutes and looked tired as crucial calls went against them at the end denying them possession.

Not sure you could pin it all on that moment but we weren't sorry to see Lovegrove go off. He's developed from being an average centre to becoming a very good forward.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#177 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

I don't see where all this surprise at Ganson's error comes from. Although I actually think he has been one of our better officials in terms of game control and consistency of decision making over the last decade, his one major flaw has been his propensity for a gaffe in a high profile / pressure situation. Nothing sinister about it.

Agree.  And (ready to be shot down here) I'm starting to feel sorry for the bloke.  He's given pretty much all of his adult life to the game, has been one  of the better officials but has been prone to drop a massive clanger every now & then.  He may well pay a very heavy price for this - maybe rightly so. But for all those expecting perfection from the officials 100% of the time, you're bound to be disappointed. Everyone makes mistakes - big, small, embarrassing & unfortunate. It will always happen.  We need to find ways of minimising the mistakes, but you'll never eradicate them completely.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#178 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Whilst Ganson does have this tendency, this was a very different situation mainly because he had a few chances to look at it rather than a quickfire decision that he can't go back on. I agree it wasn't sinister though.

Personally I think the referee should be able to watch it from the pitch and be in contact with the VR, either that or a secondary official that can be in discussion with them. All it would have taken is somebody to ask whether he was looking at the right man.

#179 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

So what do you think happened?
What do you think the RFL should do to explain the situation?
And what do you think should happen as a result?

I hope these answers are as well thought out as your criticism...

I think that, despite the use of video replay technology, the game had to suffer yet another inexplicably poor decision - a decision that was so inexplicably poor and unjustifiable that a neutral observer could be forgiven for coming the the conclusion (perhaps erroneously) that something fishy might be afoot.

The RFL should publish any available evidence that explains how the video referee arrived at his decision - they should be only too happy to do this as it would remove any doubt as to how this unfortunate situation occurred and perhaps throw up suggestions regarding how a repeat might be avoided in the future.

The decision was so poor that it brings into question the appointment of the official concerned to the position of Referees Coach. Perhaps more than one pair of eyes in the video booth and a broadcast of their discussions might be a good idea for the future.

#180 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think that, despite the use of video replay technology, the game had to suffer yet another inexplicably poor decision - a decision that was so inexplicably poor and unjustifiable that a neutral observer could be forgiven for coming the the conclusion (perhaps erroneously) that something fishy might be afoot.

But you've not actually answered the question: what do you think actually happened?
All you've said is it was poor, unjustified and there could be something up with it.
Why do you think he made such a poor decision (since you don't like the "tracked the wrong player" comment)?

The RFL should publish any available evidence that explains how the video referee arrived at his decision - they should be only too happy to do this as it would remove any doubt as to how this unfortunate situation occurred and perhaps throw up suggestions regarding how a repeat might be avoided in the future.

What if the only evidence is speaking to Steve Ganson, which is what has happened and been published publicly?

The decision was so poor that it brings into question the appointment of the official concerned to the position of Referees Coach. Perhaps more than one pair of eyes in the video booth and a broadcast of their discussions might be a good idea for the future.

I'm sure these things will be being discussed as we speak. No decision should be made within a day or two.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users