Photo
- - - - -

26/05/13 - Salford City Reds v Widnes Vikings - KO 15:00

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford City Reds (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Voted Widnes Vikings (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

22-22

Owens goal.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#42 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

26-22

James try.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#43 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

What a cracking game.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

28-22

Sneyd goal.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

FT

28-22

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I thought we were bound to find a way to avoid a win here. What a great finish! Nail-biting stuff.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Man of the Match: Joe Mellor.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Very enjoyable game.

I'm warming to the good doctor as well. Nice to see him going nuts.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#49 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Just checked the table. Unless I'm mistaken, not only are we no longer bottom of the table, but we no longer have the worst defence. London have shipped three points more than us. :)  (We do still have the worst attack, though. :( )

edit. Where has the simple smile emoticon gone. That one was not what I intended! :angry:

Edited by tonyXIII, 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#50 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Best team won, no excuses there. As I said pre-game though we should be winning games like that, we were out-enthused all game. No point beating Saints, Wire and Hull but leaving your worst performances for teams around you.

The call was definitely correct, Gaskill clearly looks at where Mellor is and moves into him. Let's not forget the offside try in the first half either and the slightly dubious second try.

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,716 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think that was the best match of the weekend so far.  I really enjoyed it.

#52 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Best team won, no excuses there. As I said pre-game though we should be winning games like that, we were out-enthused all game. No point beating Saints, Wire and Hull but leaving your worst performances for teams around you.

The call was definitely correct, Gaskill clearly looks at where Mellor is and moves into him. Let's not forget the offside try in the first half either and the slightly dubious second try.

I could often say the same from a Salford perspective. We should be beating the teams around us, but we often don't. Isn't that just what we want for the greater good of the game as a whole? Games which are impossible to predict?

But I do know how you feel.

edited to include "often".

Edited by tonyXIII, 26 May 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#53 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

The victory slightly marred by the ridiculous decision to chalk-off the try by Jodie Broughton.I haven't viewed it on the television screen but what I saw at the game,and on the screen at the other side of the field,showed nothing to alter my opinion.

Unlike a Salford side from very recently the players concentrated on the job in hand and got the result.

After some disparaging remarks on the Trust in Widnes forum,and elsewhere,aimed at Salford and it's owner,it was particularly pleasing that the owner of a club from only January this year can assemble a coaching group and players to beat a side put together since 2007. 

It was just reward for Martin Gleeson to score a try as he has been excellent since he arrived and was captain today and it would seem he has replaced Stephen Wild in that role.

#54 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

it was particularly pleasing that the owner of a club from only January this year can assemble a coaching group and players to beat a side put together since 2007. 

But haven't Salford spent most of that time in SL with the millions of pounds of Sky money, whereas Widnes spent most of it in the league below with no Sky money?

Big difference..........

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#55 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Great game. Salford were the biggest winners this weekend IMO. To play and win like that on the big stage in their home city will be a massive shot in the arm for the club. I went up to get food after the game, and was greeted by the sight and sound of hundreds of Salford fans singing their version of 'Bad moon rising'. It was the highlight of the weekend for me.

Great stuff

Edited by goldcoaster, 26 May 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Great game. Salford were the biggest winners this weekend IMO. To play and win like that on the big stage in their home city will be a massive shot in the arm for the club. I went up to get food after the game, and was greeted by the sight and sound of hundreds of Salford fans singing their version of 'Bad moon rising'. It was the highlight of the weekend for me.

Great stuff

Manchester is not their home City, it's the one next door called Salford. But I get your drift!

#57 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,640 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

The Noble Effect still works.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#58 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

The Noble Effect still works.

If they'd beat Wigan i'd agree. But they only beat us who are pants away from home virtually every week.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#59 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

The victory slightly marred by the ridiculous decision to chalk-off the try by Jodie Broughton.I haven't viewed it on the television screen but what I saw at the game,and on the screen at the other side of the field,showed nothing to alter my opinion.
Unlike a Salford side from very recently the players concentrated on the job in hand and got the result.
After some disparaging remarks on the Trust in Widnes forum,and elsewhere,aimed at Salford and it's owner,it was particularly pleasing that the owner of a club from only January this year can assemble a coaching group and players to beat a side put together since 2007. 
It was just reward for Martin Gleeson to score a try as he has been excellent since he arrived and was captain today and it would seem he has replaced Stephen Wild in that role.

It's only a ridiculous decision if like Martyn Sadler, you believe that how good a try is should affect whether or not it is given. If you watch it without blinkers on, Gaskell clearly has a quick look for where Mellor is, subtly changes his direction and then shoulders into him. It's easy to say that Mellor makes a meal of it but he's running at full pelt and is knocked off balance. If you watch again at full speed he's knocked over and get's straight up.

If the try had been given, then you are changing the rules to say you are allowed an amount of blocking in RL as long as it is minimal. This creates another grey area in the game, how much contact is an acceptable amount? If Gaskell had concentrated on his own player instead of Mellor, the try would have been given.

The 2007 comment is just bizarre, for a team building since 2007 we were doing pretty horrendously 5 years into that plan. I'm not sure we have a single player playing who was with us in 2007, Flynn and Kavanagh joined the next year. You've hardly rebuilt from scratch either, I'm pretty sure Broughton, Gibson, Wild, Godwin, James etc were at Salford before the start of this year.

#60 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I could often say the same from a Salford perspective. We should be beating the teams around us, but we often don't. Isn't that just what we want for the greater good of the game as a whole? Games which are impossible to predict?

But I do know how you feel.

edited to include "often".

I suppose it depends on which Widnes really exist. Either we are really a decent side playing poorly against lower clubs or we are a poor side that has had some good results against big clubs for whatever reason. Had we won the close games of Wakey, Cas and Salford, we'd be easily top 8. However, had we lost the Wire, Saints and Hull games we'd be near bottom.

My comment wasn't meant to be disparaging to Salford who have clearly improved in the last 6 weeks but more from the idea of us being that first option. I'm starting to wonder which of the two we actually are though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users