League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/05/13 - Salford City Reds v Widnes Vikings - KO 15:00

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford City Reds (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Voted Widnes Vikings (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

If you watch it without blinkers on, Gaskell clearly has a quick look for where Mellor is, subtly changes his direction and then shoulders into him. It's easy to say that Mellor makes a meal of it but he's running at full pelt and is knocked off balance. If you watch again at full speed he's knocked over and get's straight up.

If the try had been given, then you are changing the rules to say you are allowed an amount of blocking in RL as long as it is minimal. This creates another grey area in the game, how much contact is an acceptable amount? If Gaskell had concentrated on his own player instead of Mellor, the try would have been given.

I have NOT seen the incident on the television.It must have been a very subtle change in direction by Gaskell because I did not see it and if he had,in my opinion,stopped or altered direction at the speed he was travelling he could possibly have done one or both his knees. 

It did remind me that Hanbury fell to the floor in the first half,perhaps in the hope of 'winning' a penalty and there was the body language of the Widnes players appearing to celebrate a score when it was later decided by the VR that Liam Foran had made a try saving tackle getting his body beneath the ball.It all left a very sour taste. 

We have to agree to disagree.

#62 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have NOT seen the incident on the television.It must have been a very subtle change in direction by Gaskell because I did not see it and if he had,in my opinion,stopped or altered direction at the speed he was travelling he could possibly have done one or both his knees.
It did remind me that Hanbury fell to the floor in the first half,perhaps in the hope of 'winning' a penalty and there was the body language of the Widnes players appearing to celebrate a score when it was later decided by the VR that Liam Foran had made a try saving tackle getting his body beneath the ball.It all left a very sour taste.
We have to agree to disagree.

I'm sorry but this is the most one-eyed sort of tribalism. If you believe that Salford players are all sweetness and light and that Widnes players aren't then you're just delusional. I genuinely think that Pickersgill had thought he'd scored because he wasnt even looking at where he grounded the ball. He's not the sharpest tool in the box. Why didn't the noble Salford players admit they were offside for the first try?

The same goes for fans, I'm sure all Salford fans were respectful of Widnes fans weren't they? No set of fans are better than any other and are all are guilty of banter that borders on going too far. You'll find that all Widnes fans on here and all I've seen on Twitter have said that Salford fully deserved their win.

Watch it back on TV and look at Gaskell. He looks at where Mellor is and keeps an eye on him before shoulder charging him. It might be relatively slight but like I said if we allow that, we have to allow an element of blocking in RL. This would be a fundamental rule change.

#63 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

If they'd beat Wigan i'd agree. But they only beat us who are pants away from home virtually every week.

This is what puzzles me about Widnes. Why is there such a disparity between home results and away results? (I'm taking the word of the Widnes posters on here, btw.) All teams generally do a bit better at home, but it seems more clear cut for Widnes. I don't want to start an argument, and it is way off-topic, but is the i-pitch at the root of this? We are told that other teams are not happy (?) about playing on it and I did question the use of artificial turf at the time it was installed, only to be assured that modern astroturf was much better than the first generation stuff in terms of cuts and 'burns'. It's been in use for a year and a half now and you guys see it week in, week out. What do you think?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#64 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

As soon as I saw the replay I thought it was a no try, definite case of obstruction

#65 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

As soon as I saw the replay I thought it was a no try, definite case of obstruction

It may be that I apologise,later,after viewing it on television but the plan is to watch the game after the 10th June when the game against Wakefield is televised so I can then see back to back Salford victories. :biggrin:

One issue that does irk is when the high kick goes in some players look to obstruct the runners and have no real interest in where the ball may be.

One or two Salford players may be guilty of that.

#66 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

It may be that I apologise,later,after viewing it on television but the plan is to watch the game after the 10th June when the game against Wakefield is televised so I can then see back to back Salford victories. :biggrin:

One issue that does irk is when the high kick goes in some players look to obstruct the runners and have no real interest in where the ball may be.

One or two Salford players may be guilty of that.

Oh boy! You do like to set yourself up for a fall, don't you? ;)

#67 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

This is what puzzles me about Widnes. Why is there such a disparity between home results and away results? (I'm taking the word of the Widnes posters on here, btw.) All teams generally do a bit better at home, but it seems more clear cut for Widnes. I don't want to start an argument, and it is way off-topic, but is the i-pitch at the root of this? We are told that other teams are not happy (?) about playing on it and I did question the use of artificial turf at the time it was installed, only to be assured that modern astroturf was much better than the first generation stuff in terms of cuts and 'burns'. It's been in use for a year and a half now and you guys see it week in, week out. What do you think?

It undoubtedly makes for much quicker, cleaner games regardless of the weather. In this respect, it doesn't necessarily favour Widnes. Teams that play quick, like Huddersfield last week can run riot on it once they get a roll on.

I'm also not convinced that it contributes to our poor play away from home, Widnes teams have traditionally struggled away for years. It was certainly a problem pre-relegation in 2005. Yesterday's game reminded me very much of a dire season opener between the two in about 2004 that Salford also won but a case of Widnes lacking any real enthusiasm.

It's easy to make quick judgements but if I'm being honest last week against Huddersfield on the I-pitch wasn't much better. The loss of Hock, Hanbury (who was about 50% yesterday) and Ah Van in the backs has definitely meant our attacking prowess has dropped. I'd say equally problematic is the loss of Cahill and Cross from a relatively weak pack at the best of times. The squad is just too thin to sustain a meaningful top-8 challenge and it isn't helped by a number of players that are very hit and miss one week to the next, unfortunately marquee signing Kevin Brown being one.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 27 May 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#68 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

It undoubtedly makes for much quicker, cleaner games regardless of the weather. In this respect, it doesn't necessarily favour Widnes. Teams that play quick, like Huddersfield last week can run riot on it once they get a roll on.

I'm also not convinced that it contributes to our poor play away from home, Widnes teams have traditionally struggled away for years. It was certainly a problem pre-relegation in 2005. Yesterday's game reminded me very much of a dire season opener between the two in about 2004 that Salford also won but a case of Widnes lacking any real enthusiasm.

It's easy to make quick judgements but if I'm being honest last week against Huddersfield on the I-pitch wasn't much better. The loss of Hock, Hanbury (who was about 50% yesterday) and Ah Van in the backs has definitely meant our attacking prowess has dropped. I'd say equally problematic is the loss of Cahill and Cross from a relatively weak pack at the best of times. The squad is just too thin to sustain a meaningful top-8 challenge and it isn't helped by a number of players that are very hit and miss one week to the next, unfortunately marquee signing Kevin Brown being one.

Thanks for that, MD. A reasoned and rational response. The lack of depth is something which I think all the clubs who struggle in SL suffer from, and that is down to money. Our squad at Salford has been so thin, it's been transparent; until now. A situation that I expect the Dr to change dramatically over the next 2-3 years.

#69 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for that, MD. A reasoned and rational response. The lack of depth is something which I think all the clubs who struggle in SL suffer from, and that is down to money. Our squad at Salford has been so thin, it's been transparent; until now. A situation that I expect the Dr to change dramatically over the next 2-3 years.

The Dr and Noble.

I always thought we should have gone for Noble, although I can't say for certain that we didn't of course. He has clearly made a notable difference.

#70 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hats off to salford.....deffo deserved the win but widnes were pretty clueless in attack......broughton's try was obstruction, blatant look and change of direction.....daft though as broughton certainly needed no help

#71 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#72 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm not going to debate the video refs decision but the most annoying aspect is that Mellor would never have caught Broughton anyway and, even if he had, he wouldn't have stopped him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users