Photo
- - - - -

26/05/13 - Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Oldham v Gateshead Thunder (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Gloucestershire All Golds v Rochdale Hornets (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. London Skolars v Oxford (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Hemel Stags v South Wales Scorpions (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Discuss this week's games here.

SUNDAY 26 MAY
Oldham v Gateshead Thunder - KO 13:00
Gloucestershire All Golds v Rochdale Hornets - KO 15:00
London Skolars v Oxford - KO 15:00
Hemel Stags v South Wales Scorpions - KO 15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Can Oxford close the gap to one point at the top or can Skolars start a winning run? Could Hemel overtake Oxford into second spot?  There are lots of permutations and with Crusaders not playing my wallet can have  a rest...or perhaps not as I am off the Magic Weekend on Saturday!!

#3 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'll go for these this week, and will Oxford have 2 buses at the Skolars?

Oldham
Rochdale Hornets
Oxford
Hemel Stags

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#4 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I will almost certainly be at Oldham .v. Gateshead, as Crusaders have no game. Nice to have a beer with Kev and Jim again and lend Gateshead some support. Alas, I see nothing but a home win. Rochdale to turn over the All Golds and I'm going to say Oxford will only take a bonus point from Skolars. I would take Hemel at home to Scorpions but with their injuries its too close to call. Just hope Mike Forgham scores and gets man of the match.

#5 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

at the end of the season the clashes between the Stags and the Scorpions might well be decisive in one of them making the playoffs and one of them just missing out so this Sunday is MASSIVE. Nowt like a bit of hyperbole! Come on you Stags!

#6 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

With Oldham kicking off at 1pm, you could still make the 3pm KO at the Magic weekend just 5 miles down the road.

#7 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

PREVIEWS

Oldham v Gateshead Thunder (1.00pm)

Both sides look to be at full strength for Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship One clash at the Whitebank Stadium.
Determined Oldham coach Scott Naylor is urging his men to continue their emphasis on solid defence after conceding just 58 points in four games.
Naylor said: “We’ve worked hard on our defence and we’ve improved loads since the Northern Rail Cup.
“It’s also about scoring points. I wasn’t happy with our attack against Oxford, but we played with a lot more attacking freedom at Hemel and hopefully that will continue.”
The Roughyeds beat Gateshead 34-16 in March, but Thunder coach Kevin Neighbour has set his sights on a better result this week.
Neighbour said: “We’ve definitely improved since then, but so have Oldham.
“They got a good result against Hemel in their last game and it’ll be a decent game on Sunday.
“Oldham are fairly physical up the middle and they’re a very capable team, so we’ll have to be ready for them.”

Gloucestershire All Golds v Rochdale Hornets (3.00pm)

Gloucestershire All Golds coach Brad Hepi believes his side’s week off will give them an extra boost ahead of Sunday’s match with Rochdale Hornets.
Gloucestershire did not play last week, leaving Hepi with a fully fit squad to select from.
Hepi said: “The boys have had a couple of good sessions, they’re mentally rested, and they should be up for it on Sunday.
“Everyone is fit and strong, and hopefully we’ll also have a new Welsh recruit.
“Chris Clough has also joined us for the rest of the season, and that’ll hopefully provide a bit of toughness up front.”
Dayne Donoghue will be given a fitness test on Thursday after taking part in full training on Tuesday. Alex Trumper is definitely ruled out.
Hornets coach Ian Talbot said: “Any team coached by Brad Hepi is going to be enthusiastic and come with plenty of aggression.
“Mike Stewart is a big guy and we’ll have to control his offloads, while Tim Bergin is someone we’ll need to keep an eye on out wide.”

Hemel Stags v South Wales Scorpions (3.00pm)

Hemel Stags coach Troy Perkins hopes to be picking from strength for Sunday’s showdown with South Wales Scorpions – but Mike Bishay looks set to be unavailable after being named in London Broncos’ match-day squad.
Perkins said: “The week off has done us the world of good. We had a fair few players missing against Oldham, but most people are now back and near enough 100 per cent fit.
“This is a pretty important game to us. We’ve lost two on the trot and we need to get back to winning ways.”
He added: “South Wales are reasonably similar to us. We lost by two points when we faced them in March, and the difference that day was James Tutuila – he’s a handful when he carries the ball.”
Scorpions coach Dave Clark has a half-back crisis, with both Kristian Hawkes and Courtney Davies struggling to be fit.
But Clark is still expecting an open clash between two sides determined to play attractive rugby.
Clark said: “We’ll see a lot of running rugby from both sides and as Hemel are one position above us in the league right now, we know we’ll have to be on our guard.”

London Skolars v Oxford (3.00pm)

London Skolars coach Joe Mbu will assess his squad’s fitness on Friday before naming his team to face second-placed Oxford.
London are currently eighth in Kingstone Press Championship One with just one win from four games.
Mbu said: “We’ve got a few people to check on, and although it’s nothing major, it’s enough for us to worry about it until later in the week. However, we’re confident we’ll have a competent team to face Oxford.”
He added: “Oxford have started well. They’ve got a few players that have played in this division for a while and, at any level, the more experience you have, the better you tend to go.
“It was a tough game for us last week, and I didn’t expect us to lose by that many points, but there were plenty of positives.
“We weren’t at full strength but we were able to get over the line three times. Now we have to move forward and put that game behind us.”
Oxford should be boosted by the return of Jonny Leather, while Valu Bentley, Shaun Robinson and Alex Thompson are also in contention.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#8 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

I don't watch Super League Saints10coach, apart from on tv, and haven't watched a game all the way through this season yet.

#9 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

good luck to thunder this weekend, gutted I cant make the game as Im working sunday, we are improving....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

#10 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'll go for these this week, and will Oxford have 2 buses at the Skolars?

Oldham
Rochdale Hornets
Oxford
Hemel Stags

I heard you got home from your game at Oxford before they did. ;)

Edited by PhilCarrington, 23 May 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#11 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

So glad that the sun finally shone for a Hemel game; lovely afternoon up at Pennine Way, albeit a shame the crowd wasn't a little bigger.

Also, good to see one side effect of the ongoing building works is an improptu sandpit - the kids loved playing in it ;o)

Most importantly of all though, good to see the lads get back in to winning ways.

#12 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

So glad that the sun finally shone for a Hemel game; lovely afternoon up at Pennine Way, albeit a shame the crowd wasn't a little bigger.

Also, good to see one side effect of the ongoing building works is an improptu sandpit - the kids loved playing in it ;o)

Most importantly of all though, good to see the lads get back in to winning ways.

What was the attendance?

Edited by shun, 26 May 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#13 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Was good to see a great fightback from Skolars in the second half yesterday. 

Martyn Smith was introduced and made a tremendous difference as did of course forward Rob Thomas

with his four tries. That said was impressed with Oxford to be fair. Very few errrors with the ball in hand.

Very entertaining game.

#14 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

North Wales Crusaders still top, 2 points clear with a game in hand.  That will do nicely!

#15 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

What was the attendance?

Reported as 122 - seemed a little more than that to be honest.

#16 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

As far as I know South Wales Scorpions have not taken a bus away all season. Anybody who travels goes by car.

#17 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

As far as I know South Wales Scorpions have not taken a bus away all season. Anybody who travels goes by car.

Looked like there were about nine or ten away fans. There also appeared to be a disagreement between them and some Hemel fans at one point but I couldn't see what was going on. Hopefully much ado about nothing.

#18 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Looked like there were about nine or ten away fans. There also appeared to be a disagreement between them and some Hemel fans at one point but I couldn't see what was going on. Hopefully much ado about nothing.

The person concerned in the incident was spoken to several times throughout the match, as a result of his behaviour the club has banned him from all matches involving Hemel Stags for 1 month.

We as a club will not tolerate foul or abusive behaviour at Pennine Way.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users