Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Richard Moore returns to the Hawks squad for Premier Sports clash

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

youve got nowt to shout about trotter!!! The bent ref was your mom

Behave Macca, there was nothing wrong with the referee tonight.

(Dodgy conversion call aside!)

Posted Image

#42 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

The referee was inept lacking understanding of the rules. This is for both sides, allowing constant off side & forward passes. I do not pay to watch American football.
Does anyone know why Batley last try was disallowed?
If it was a knock on then hunslet should of had a tap on the 20 metre line as it was over the line. Or is that me thinking officials know the rules

#43 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Leahy is dreadful all round, but don't think he favoured either side this evening. Lots of missed forward passes and both sides constantly offside.

Think we were very lucky with the first conversation though! Looked wide from where I was sat.

Good tight game and really happy with 3 points against a decent Hunslet side, even more so when we had 6 first choice players out.

Could have gone either way as both teams blew chances. Impressed with the hawks pack tonight, they made solid yards all night. Not many teams will have an easy game at the SLS.

Not a classic in terms of quality but very absorbing as there was never much between the sides.

Good luck for the rest of the season lads now our battles are done.

#44 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

The referee was inept lacking understanding of the rules. This is for both sides, allowing constant off side & forward passes. I do not pay to watch American football.
Does anyone know why Batley last try was disallowed?
If it was a knock on then hunslet should of had a tap on the 20 metre line as it was over the line. Or is that me thinking officials know the rules

It was a knock on before the line. Ian Smith got the call right on the LoveRugbyLeague.com video referee.

:)

Posted Image

#45 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

I thought Watson was our MOM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#46 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I thought Watson was our MOM

I disagree. Yates was our mom again, 2 massive howlers from watson cost us. Where is oakes???? And what is marchy bringing to the team these days. Gotta give credit to haughey he's been great For last 6-7 games
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#47 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

i dont know if that was sarcastic gaz....the lad had a mare making a mess with that 40/20 gifting batley head and feed of which faal scored and then gifting them the last min try.Why Houston didnt pass to Hellewell in the 1st couple of mins after being put through with a lovely ball from coyle is anyones guess, an absolute sitter missed.Thought Lee Mapels had a great game for us and their winger Johnson was a real handful.

Posted Image

#48 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Better effort this week, to start with a better selected team (though I'd like to see Kain back at full-back next week, and can't believe Oakes and Brickwood can't get in the team). Coyle looks a natural half-back and gave us a new dimension in attack, and more options with the boot.

SO - what was the difference between the two teams ...MISTAKES !! Two sloppy interceptions, six or seven knock-ons, two forward passes and three or four attempted "miracle balls", often in situations where we were getting on top,  were manna from heaven for the opposition. Contrast with Batley ... maybe three knock-ons and a forward pass in eighty minutes ? So although we played OK nobody can say the result wasn't a fair reflection. It's pretty simple really ... until we cut those mistakes out we're not going to win many close affairs like last night's.

Two well taken tries from our new scoring sensation James Houston ! And well played both wingers and all four props.

Finally, why did the goons with the flags not put them up for the final Batley conversion that bounced out from the left upright? It was just as valid a two points as the first two conversions  :O ...

Edited by Hawkwindbag, 24 May 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#49 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

I disagree. Yates was our mom again, 2 massive howlers from watson cost us. Where is oakes???? And what is marchy bringing to the team these days. Gotta give credit to haughey he's been great For last 6-7 games

March was at least covering back when Batley intercepted and Watson chased and caught him. There was only March back with Watson

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#50 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

How did you think Coyle went gabby ?Obviously lacked match fitness but a lovely short ball to put houston through early on promised much imo.

Posted Image

#51 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

The match seems to have been covered on 3 seperate topics, so I will put my replies all together on this one.

The first goalkick definately missed-- don't think the referee saw that one linesman was signalling no goal== but the PA announcer did as he was giving out the wrong score for a while-- nothing wrong I think  with the second goal kick .Question can goalkicks  be referred to the video ref ? 

Leave off Watson he,s had more good games than bad.

Answer to the question- where was John Oaks--- he was sat in front of me in the stand.

No problem with car parking I just drove in to the main overflow car park and there was plenty of room.

Finally, it could be my eyes that are going but are our floodlights getting dimmer ?

#52 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

I thought Watson was one if not our best player, his kick returns were superb he defused every high kick, cover tackled well and was a threat with ball in hand.

No way can he blamed for the 40/20 he ran nearly 50 yards to try and stop that, and he was never going to stop it, as by the time he got there it had virtually crossed the line, id be more inclined to ask why the winger wasn't back covering that kick rather than blaming someone who ran 50 yards to try and prevent it, and not forgetting it was a great kick!

As for his mistake in the last minute, yes it cost us a late try, but it had no bearing on the game whatsoever, but overall he played well. Was the best of all the Leeds players IMO.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#53 attila the

attila the
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Completely agree
Attila the

#54 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

The fullback cant afford to make mistakes, it's like a goalkeeper letting it through his legs.
This is not the first time, he has been at fault for tries.
If you want to be cynical, you could say it would of been a hat trick of errors if Batley did not knock for their last disallowed try. Plus I read a report that he was the one to head high tackle who gave them the 2 penalty points, plus he gave that blatant forward pass from dummy half.
It's very well giving good kick returns and gaining that extra 5-10 yards, but when you are the last line of defence you can't afford to make any mistakes and giving tries away.

#55 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

From a Batley perspective your fullback had a decent game barring the knock on. He took several testing high balls very well, and returned it well on the ground making useful metres. As BH has alluded to he would have had to be Inspector Gadget to stop the ball going into touch for the 40-20. Was just a very clever kick from Tom Hemmimgway.

I think the trouble is everything Watson did was being scrutinised after several posts on here from a couple of people beforehand suggesting he's a superstar in the making, rather than just a very decent championship player. The lad is automatically then going to be judged more closely.

#56 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

i thought mapels was like a 7th forward last night, well deserved mom

Posted Image

#57 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

[/quote]
What, no mistakes at all? ever?[/quote][/quote]

To be a decent full back you can't be afford to be error prone. One of hunslet's best full back in recent history rich baker hardly evert made a mistake.
Maybe being full time, he can put in that extra effort in handling a rugby ball and positional sense.

#58 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I must have been watching a different game at a different stadium - some strange comments on here (probably due to the DR dislike no doubt).

Watson made two mistakes all night:

1 - A forward pass from dummy half in the final 10 minutes - WOW do you never see that in SL? No big deal. 

2 - He slipped up at the end and scuffed the tricky ball - having to run horizontal across the pitch as the attackers were approaching.  Fair enough.

Where were the other mistakes?  None!!!!  Disallowed try under the post for Batley - Watson caught the ball in the air and Batley knocked in on - fact! see the TV slow motion.  The 40/20?  He was stood on the line arms at length trying to reach it.  Ran 50 yards to get it - What more can you do?

He saved a definate try with his chase back causing the Batley player to lose the ball.

Caught on the full all night and brilliant postional play.

#59 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

[/quote]
What, no mistakes at all? ever?[/quote][/quote]

To be a decent full back you can't be afford to be error prone. One of hunslet's best full back in recent history rich baker hardly evert made a mistake.
Maybe being full time, he can put in that extra effort in handling a rugby ball and positional sense.

Better drop Sam Tompkins and Zak Hardaker from the England camp then.  As they make more errors than anyone I know.

One wise old Owl once said to me.......The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who are not doing any work!!!!!!

#60 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

I must have been watching a different game at a different stadium - some strange comments on here (probably due to the DR dislike no doubt).

Watson made two mistakes all night:

1 - A forward pass from dummy half in the final 10 minutes - WOW do you never see that in SL? No big deal.
2 - He slipped up at the end and scuffed the tricky ball - having to run horizontal across the pitch as the attackers were approaching. Fair enough.

Where were the other mistakes? None!!!! Disallowed try under the post for Batley - Watson caught the ball in the air and Batley knocked in on - fact! see the TV slow motion. The 40/20? He was stood on the line arms at length trying to reach it. Ran 50 yards to get it - What more can you do?

He saved a definate try with his chase back causing the Batley player to lose the ball.
Caught on the full all night and brilliant postional play.

he shouldnt have had to run 50 yards, he should of been in the right place in the first place. Batley where attacking Pryce's side so he had to stay up in the line, Watson should have been covering that touch line not the middle of the park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users