Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Huddersfield

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

when are they going to arrive?After flattering to deceive for how many year's? time may be running out.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#2 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

I remember people asking the same about Leeds not so long ago

#3 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

when are they going to arrive?After flattering to deceive for how many year's? time may be running out.

This season would be nice, and no reason why it shouldn't happen , except  Wigan, Warrington, Hull, Catalan, Saints don't want to let us, and if you get past that lot ,you may still have to worry about Leeds. :tongue:

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I remember people asking the same about Leeds not so long ago

I always had the sense that Leeds were letting their hoards of fans down by having an expensive squad and not winning anything.  The same can't be said of Huddersfield.

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

I always had the sense that Leeds were letting their hoards of fans down by having an expensive squad and not winning anything.  The same can't be said of Huddersfield.

Agreed. Ant and the other Huddersfield fan, rather than be let down, have become ever more convinced of how good the Giants are despite years of failure.

;)

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Not until after this Sunday, please.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Reckon they'll go further this year than previously but doubt they can go all the way to win, would love to see them prove me wrong though on the latter point

#8 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Agreed. Ant and the other Huddersfield fan, rather than be let down, have become ever more convinced of how good the Giants are despite years of failure.

;)

I blame the refs :D

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

;)

Years of failure?

It's all relative.  When you've seen your team struggle to hold Trafford Borough to 50 points, then you're talking failure.

Huddersfield are in the clover at the moment.   It'd be nice to win something, but I'm really not complaining.

That's me.  I'm done.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Years of failure?

It's all relative.  When you've seen your team struggle to hold Trafford Borough to 50 points, then you're talking failure.

Huddersfield are in the clover at the moment.   It'd be nice to win something, but I'm really not complaining.

Different team Steve.  That was Fartown, they don't exist any more.

#11 Black Junior

Black Junior
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Speaking of Huddersfield does anyone remember this? (taken from the club's wiki page)

In 1993 six teams were invited to take part in an inaugural European Clubs Championship, the six teams consisted of two from the USSR; Tiraspol and Moscow Magicians, two from France; Carcassonne and XIII Catalan and Batley and Huddersfield. Only weeks before departure the plans collapsed as both Soviet clubs pulled out due to financial difficulties, closely followed by Batley, Carcassonne who had just five players available due to a players’ strike. This left just Huddersfield and XIII Catalan to meet in the "final" in Barcelona. The lead changed hands three times before Huddersfield held on for a 23–22 victory.

#12 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Whatever. Try saying something original

Steve is spot on though, when you've thought an away win to Runcorn might help turn the season around come back and compare how you measure success.

Winning a pot would be great to help the club keep growing, but year after year I see the best team I've ever watched in the claret and gold, each year they get better than the last and now they are contenders, champions will happen, just a question of when.

#13 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Speaking of Huddersfield does anyone remember this? (taken from the club's wiki page)

In 1993 six teams were invited to take part in an inaugural European Clubs Championship, the six teams consisted of two from the USSR; Tiraspol and Moscow Magicians, two from France; Carcassonne and XIII Catalan and Batley and Huddersfield. Only weeks before departure the plans collapsed as both Soviet clubs pulled out due to financial difficulties, closely followed by Batley, Carcassonne who had just five players available due to a players’ strike. This left just Huddersfield and XIII Catalan to meet in the "final" in Barcelona. The lead changed hands three times before Huddersfield held on for a 23–22 victory.

Er. Yes.

Huddersfield - current reigning European Champions :D

Those were the days when international club games were to the fore, we saw a few preseason games against Catalan XIII and even Moscow Magicians

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

I was there

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Er. Yes.

Er. Yes. That'd be Fev:

http://sportinglife....-european-crown

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#16 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Pah, Micky mouse imitation ;)

How about holders of the Alex Angel trophy ;)

#17 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would love to see Hudds win something this year.

It can only be good for the game to have a English coach leading a un-fancied team to some silverware.

#18 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Me too

But doesn't that include Wigan ;)

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

I remember it well.   Sadly, I was too young to go to it but years later I visited the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona and asked the man in the little shop area about it.  At this point I'd like to say that he was enthusiastic, knowledgeable and keen to expand on the wonders of rugby league.   Sadly, I think that blank incomprehension was nearer the mark.

The Alex Angel Trophy, as I recall, was possibly the ugliest thing in the whole of sport.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Er. Yes.

Those were the days when international club games were to the fore, we saw a few preseason games against Catalan XIII and even Moscow Magicians

I was at the Moscow Magicians match at Fartown.   Must be 20 odd years back now.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users