Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Machete Attack

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#181 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,875 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Apparently 60,000 people have subscribed to far right pages on social media since yesterday's attack.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#182 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Moderating note:  It is utterly unacceptable to use terms like "muzzahs" on this forum.  It is a racially charged term used nearly exclusively by racists and those associating with idiot racist groups.

Repetitions will see suspensions or bans.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#183 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,302 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Moderating note:  It is utterly unacceptable to use terms like "muzzahs" on this forum.  It is a racially charged term used nearly exclusively by racists and those associating with idiot racist groups.

That's it.  Remove the post just as I'd got down a killer witty response.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#184 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

The world must be ending... I agree with Richard Littlejohn.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#185 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,875 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Clearly, aliens have hijacked his brain. Some (unbelievably, given the source) reasonable and intelligent points in that piece.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#186 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Richard Littlejohn champions true Britishness from his home in the USA.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#187 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Me too.  I'm quite shocked at myself.

#188 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,875 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Me too.  I'm quite shocked at myself.

It's like when Andy Parsons accidentally says something funny on a panel show. You laugh, but feel inwardly disoriented.

#189 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Is it OK if we say Sir before and afterwards ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#190 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

I've skimmed through it.   Reads like the usual ill-informed, bile filled rubbish to me. 

That's me.  I'm done.

#191 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Seeing as one of the suspects is only aged 22, is there a case for arresting Andrew Choudary for his influence on the guy? He must have only been 10 or so at the time of 9-11. What bile has this evil little ##### been putting in gullible young guys minds?

#192 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

That's it.  Remove the post just as I'd got down a killer witty response.

Can we see it anyway?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#193 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

While attempting to steer clear of any real interest in this horrific murder I do find it strange that those who were involved have been identified on screen and by verbal accusation in the press and media.

As they are still to waste a huge amount of public money,not only by going to court and the payment to barristers and judge,but by the police presence in  armoured vehicles and helicopter taking them to and fro between prison and court,they should still be considered innocent until proven guilty.

Anyone any idea why the press and media seem outside the law of the land on this one ?

I cannot see them getting a fair trial and this country does seem to want to extol the virtue of its justice sytem.

The interview on Newsnight with Radical Islamist preacher Anjem Choudary was what took my attention. 

#194 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

While attempting to steer clear of any real interest in this horrific murder I do find it strange that those who were involved have been identified on screen and by verbal accusation in the press and media.

As they are still to waste a huge amount of public money,not only by going to court and the payment to barristers and judge,but by the police presence in  armoured vehicles and helicopter taking them to and fro between prison and court,they should still be considered innocent until proven guilty.

Anyone any idea why the press and media seem outside the law of the land on this one ?

I cannot see them getting a fair trial and this country does seem to want to extol the virtue of its justice sytem.

The interview on Newsnight with Radical Islamist preacher Anjem Choudary was what took my attention. 

The perps waited around for the police to come while they still had bloody knives in their hands.  They asked witnesses to film them.  They shouted political messages.  They sentenced themselves to life imprisonment by choice in public.

Edited by Saintslass, 24 May 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#195 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

The media now are in full swivel-eyed* recriminations mode.  This is the headline story on the Telegraph website:  "Woolwich attack: why was suspect Michael Adebolajo free to kill?"

If formerly respectable newspapers such as the Telegraph are suggesting that just because you're "known" to the security services that you should be locked up then the media have lost all perspective on the matter.  Are they REALLY advocating that people be locked up just in case they do bad things?  That's just frothy-mouthed ranting rather than journalistic opinion or news reporting.

Here's the Daily Mail's headline story:  Betrayal of a hero father

At least the Guardian and Independent are behaving a bit more rationally, simply suggesting that the Met and MI5 have to look to see if they could have done better.

* I do like that term...

I was trying to get across that the figures between terrorism by Muslims and Christians has no equivelance earlier, on another forum, due to the fact that much of the Muslim world has been under systematic oppression. That when Christian naitons and peoples have been under similar oppression, they too have resorted to similar indefensible actions. A point which I explained more thoroughly at the time and thought was a fair one.

I was just about told in response that my opinion on foreign policy "causes" terrorism.

Was also called a commie, which is always a good indicator that you're close to the truth, I find :D

#196 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I was trying to get across that the figures between terrorism by Muslims and Christians has no equivelance earlier, on another forum, due to the fact that much of the Muslim world has been under systematic oppression. That when Christian naitons and peoples have been under similar oppression, they too have resorted to similar indefensible actions. A point which I explained more thoroughly at the time and thought was a fair one.

Have they?  When?  The norm for Christians when oppressed is to go underground and do such radical stuff as receive smuggled Bibles, etc.  Christians are being oppressed in many countries in the world today, most notably but not exclusively Muslim dominated ones.  Martydom for Christians has always been a submissive thing.  Where Christians have displayed behaviour similar to the Islamist extremists of today is either in olden times when theocratic rulers would yell for God and country and go to war (for example, the Crusades) or in modern times when extremist Christians in, say, the Bible Belt of the USA try to set fire to abortion clinics and the like.

#197 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Sorry, it's a Facebook link.  Too lazy to look for a youtube version.

#198 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

The perps waited around for the police to come while they still had bloody knives in their hands. They asked witnesses to film them. They shouted political messages. They sentenced themselves to life imprisonment by choice in public.

You really should use phrases like "they seemed to", "it appears to me" etc. Otherwise people might make the mistake that you don't value evidential justice.

LUNEW.jpg

#199 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Have they? When? The norm for Christians when oppressed is to go underground and do such radical stuff as receive smuggled Bibles, etc. Christians are being oppressed in many countries in the world today, most notably but not exclusively Muslim dominated ones. Martydom for Christians has always been a submissive thing. Where Christians have displayed behaviour similar to the Islamist extremists of today is either in olden times when theocratic rulers would yell for God and country and go to war (for example, the Crusades) or in modern times when extremist Christians in, say, the Bible Belt of the USA try to set fire to abortion clinics and the like.

Oh FFS - where in your histortical narrative is European colonialism? Spanish Inquisition? Britain in India?

Yours is the sort of pathetic right wing analysis that misses so much that is so relevant.

LUNEW.jpg

#200 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

The media now are in full swivel-eyed* recriminations mode.  This is the headline story on the Telegraph website:  "Woolwich attack: why was suspect Michael Adebolajo free to kill?"

If formerly respectable newspapers such as the Telegraph are suggesting that just because you're "known" to the security services that you should be locked up then the media have lost all perspective on the matter.  Are they REALLY advocating that people be locked up just in case they do bad things?  That's just frothy-mouthed ranting rather than journalistic opinion or news reporting.

Here's the Daily Mail's headline story:  Betrayal of a hero father

At least the Guardian and Independent are behaving a bit more rationally, simply suggesting that the Met and MI5 have to look to see if they could have done better.

* I do like that term...

And the environment these right-wing conservatives exist in is...

swivel-eye-sation.  :)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."