Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Machete Attack

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#201 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Oh FFS - where in your histortical narrative is European colonialism? Spanish Inquisition? Britain in India?

Yours is the sort of pathetic right wing analysis that misses so much that is so relevant.

And none of that can even be explained by a reaction to oppression. Christian nations and societies do not need, and have never needed, lessons in violence.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#202 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,395 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

think there was a street full of people and a tower block watching the events, if u watch the news.

No ###### Sherlock. Can.t fool you, can we. If we are to ensure these guys get a fair trial and don't get off on a technicality with some smart ###### lawyer, the media at least have to act with responsibility

#203 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:33 AM

Sorry, it's a Facebook link.  Too lazy to look for a youtube version.

Saw this earlier. Quite surprised it's not had more coverage.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#204 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

You really should use phrases like "they seemed to", "it appears to me" etc. Otherwise people might make the mistake that you don't value evidential justice.

Well, unfortunately, I saw the evidence myself on TV so I don't really need to qualify any of my statements.  Unless of course the blood on the meat cleaver and the perp's hand was fake? 

#205 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

No ###### Sherlock. Can.t fool you, can we. If we are to ensure these guys get a fair trial and don't get off on a technicality with some smart ###### lawyer, the media at least have to act with responsibility

Too late for that.  The media has been splashing everything all over the place. 

Newsnight gave an interview to a childhood friend of one the perps.  The bloke was arrested after the interview.  I didn't see the interview and so I don't know what was said.

#206 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Too late for that.  The media has been splashing everything all over the place. 

Newsnight gave an interview to a childhood friend of one the perps.  The bloke was arrested after the interview.  I didn't see the interview and so I don't know what was said.

He said that his friend was repeatedly approached by MI5 and that he was recently held in prison in Kenya where he was sexually abused.

The BBC are stressing that none of the guy's statements can be verified.
- Severus, July 2012

#207 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

What was he doing in Kenya that got him sent to prison?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#208 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

What was he doing in Kenya that got him sent to prison?

That wasn't covered on the report I heard.
- Severus, July 2012

#209 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

If we are to ensure these guys get a fair trial and don't get off on a technicality with some smart ###### lawyer, the media at least have to act with responsibility

Ms Gareth Pierce has remained remarkably quiet.There must be a reason for this.

Why no police chief or politician has told the media and press how to conduct themselves is worrying as is the publicity afforded to the arrests the police are making.Certainly a warning signal to any others in the pyramid.

More worrying is that following the so-called 7/7,with the British born and educated suicide bombers,there was the attempt up in Scotland by more educated and qualified medical practitioners.

I wonder what the follow-up to this one will be ?

#210 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I wonder what the follow-up to this one will be ?

Same as every week; talk b####cks and sign on down the dole office.

#211 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Oh FFS - where in your histortical narrative is European colonialism? Spanish Inquisition? Britain in India?

Yours is the sort of pathetic right wing analysis that misses so much that is so relevant.

Except none of that was about oppression of Christians, which was the point I was responding to.  What has Britain in India got to do with the oppression of Christians for example?  Christians weren't oppressed in India during British rule so far as I am aware.

#212 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Except none of that was about oppression of Christians, which was the point I was responding to.  What has Britain in India got to do with the oppression of Christians for example?  Christians weren't oppressed in India during British rule so far as I am aware.

The other way round. Low-caste Hindustani Indians flocked to become Christians because all castes were treated equally and the missionary schools educated all castes equally.

#213 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

More worrying is that following the so-called 7/7,with the British born and educated suicide bombers,there was the attempt up in Scotland by more educated and qualified medical practitioners.

What do you mean so called 7/7?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#214 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

I think there was a terrorist attack in London on the 7th of July a few years back. Remember the bus with its top deck blown apart?

I think that's what he is referring to.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#215 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Agreed. A very odd phrase to use.

The follow-up incidentally has been a three-fold increase in online support for the EDL, attacks on mosques and anybody looking vaguely Muslim on the rise - and a possible connection to a French soldier being stabbed in Paris by gentlemen who may or may not be Muslim.

Signs of jihad seem to be absent.
- Severus, July 2012

#216 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Have they?  When?  The norm for Christians when oppressed is to go underground and do such radical stuff as receive smuggled Bibles, etc.  Christians are being oppressed in many countries in the world today, most notably but not exclusively Muslim dominated ones.  Martydom for Christians has always been a submissive thing.  Where Christians have displayed behaviour similar to the Islamist extremists of today is either in olden times when theocratic rulers would yell for God and country and go to war (for example, the Crusades) or in modern times when extremist Christians in, say, the Bible Belt of the USA try to set fire to abortion clinics and the like.

The IRA weren't terrorists? The Catholics fighting against repression in South America - Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay - didn't commit terrorism? The ANC didn't carry out terrorism? Presumably you've never heard of that little continent known as Africa, or groups like the LRA? The genocide in Rwanda didn't occur? The Iron Guard? Hutatree? NLFT? NSCN? Concerned Christians? Oppressed or not we can look at examples of Christian terrorism, it exists.

Not only have Christians committed terrorism, but they do it specifically in the name of Christianity too. In Nigeria the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, a Christian group, commits terrorism regularly and are clear in that they're "defending" Christianity(from Muslims).

You mention Muslim dominated countries. Are there not Christians in Hamas and Fatah? Hamas has had Christian leaders. Dr. Wadih Haddad, George Habash, Chris Al-Bandak, and so on are examples of Christians linked to or guilty of terrorism. Habash, who created the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, all but invented the now famed terrorist tactic of hijacking planes. It's a lesser known fact that terrorist groups in these regions have Christian members. There are Christians who go a bit further than smuggling bibles.

Nobody is saying there's exact symmetry, Christianity generally is more liberal and reasonable than Islam, western atheism has made sure of that. But that doesn't exclude Christians from acting horrendously, especially when they're being slaughtered and/or oppressed by foreign or domestic enemies. Therefore you'd have to conclude that if Christianity wasn't the dominant powerforce in the world, if the shoe was on the other foot, that Islamic terrorism would drop whereas Christian terrorism would rise. I don't think that's an unreasonable point of view.

And I'm not suggesting for one moment there would be no Islamic terrorism if we changed our foreign policy, if that's what you think.

#217 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Agreed. A very odd phrase to use.

The follow-up incidentally has been a three-fold increase in online support for the EDL, attacks on mosques and anybody looking vaguely Muslim on the rise - and a possible connection to a French soldier being stabbed in Paris by gentlemen who may or may not be Muslim.

Signs of jihad seem to be absent.

Which puts weight to what I was trying to express here and elsewhere in regards to Islamic terrorism. When people are wronged, or perceive to be wronged, radicalism increases, terrorism increases.

#218 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think there was a terrorist attack in London on the 7th of July a few years back. Remember the bus with its top deck blown apart?

I think that's what he is referring to.

Thanks for that Tony. I actually meant the 'so called' bit. As GJ stated, a very odd phrase to use...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#219 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for that Tony. I actually meant the 'so called' bit. As GJ stated, a very odd phrase to use...

Ah! That you were querying the use of "so-called" did cross my mind, but, as that is far too subtle for me, I thought I'd post anyway. :sclerosis:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#220 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Russell Brand again talking a lot of sense.

http://www.russellbr...13/05/woolwich/
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users