Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Horrible Histories

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Comfortably the best thing on kids TV. For example:

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Comfortably the best thing on kids TV. For example:

I agree. My kids love horrible histories and it is one of the few educational kids programmes left.

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

The author/creator is a bit of a dick though.

Fides invicta triumphat

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

The author/creator is a bit of a dick though.

This is also true.

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

This is also true.

TBH my earlier comment is crass and unnecessary. HH does a fine job of introducing children to a non-sugar coated version of history in a way that fosters enthusiasm for the subject. Just hope no-one listens to his ideas for educational reform.

Fides invicta triumphat

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

TBH my earlier comment is crass and unnecessary. HH does a fine job of introducing children to a non-sugar coated version of history in a way that fosters enthusiasm for the subject. Just hope no-one listens to his ideas for educational reform.

I've not heard them.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

I've not heard them.

Essentially scrap all established wisdom in the subject of education and only teach things that pupils find engaging (e.g., he asked what the point of teaching algebra was and why was it necessary to teach mathematics). Whilst HH is very successful, you still need to provide children with an education that will prepare them for life long learning.

Fides invicta triumphat

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

There is no contradiction between making a really good product that really benefits children's education and being a ######. Aside from his ideas, Terry Dreary comes across as an egotistical **** in his dealings with the rest of humanity. However, Horrible History is as good as the ginger one claims.

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Essentially scrap all established wisdom in the subject of education and only teach things that pupils find engaging (e.g., he asked what the point of teaching algebra was and why was it necessary to teach mathematics). Whilst HH is very successful, you still need to provide children with an education that will prepare them for life long learning.

Yeah, I heard an interview with him on the radio a year or so back and have rarely been so disappointed at someone in the public eye. As someone who grew up when Horrible Histories first came out I absolutely loved them and spent hours pouring each new edition cover to cover. It was totally disheartening to find out he was a bit of an a.rse after all these years and he didn't seem to have much time for kids who had questions and stuff. A massive shame, I wish I'd never heard it.

I'll agree the TV show is fab though, despite being too old to watch CBBC and having no kids of my own. CBBC has a few good comedies actually, more hits than "adult" BBC anyway.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 23 May 2013 - 01:20 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

New series starts on Monday, 4.30pm CBBC.

Fifth and last too.

But there will be Shakespeare film.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

New series starts on Monday, 4.30pm CBBC.

Fifth and last too.

But there will be Shakespeare film.

Last? There must be more history than that!
- Severus, July 2012

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Last? There must be more history than that!

Yeh maybe, but probably best to go out on high.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeh maybe, but probably best to go out on high.

I demand sharks are jumped over first.
- Severus, July 2012

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I demand sharks are jumped over first.

Horrible Fish Stories.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yeh, I was disappointed to hear that he's a bit of an idiot. I remember reading an interview where he said that history teaching was uninspiring and basically just teachers reading facts out about dates and battles to kids. It was like he hasn't been in school since he was a child himself but still thinks he can spout off about it. He comes across as very self-important, because his experience was a bad one then he can speak for all. My interest in history was kindled mainly by an inspirational teacher.

He also thinks there will be no schools in future because children will learn everything by playing computer games. Yes Terry, of course they will...

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

The stage version is supposed to be excellent as well.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

The stage version is supposed to be excellent as well.

Ohhhhhhh no it isn't....

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Ohhhhhhh no it isn't....

Ohhhhhhhhhh yes it is...

I can only go off colleagues at work who said their kids absolutely loved it, one even went back with her daughters because they wanted a second dose.

Edited by Padge, 23 May 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

It's one of the rare examples of kids TV that you realise you're happily watching long after the children have left the room.

- Severus, July 2012

#20 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Yeh, I was disappointed to hear that he's a bit of an idiot. I remember reading an interview where he said that history teaching was uninspiring and basically just teachers reading facts out about dates and battles to kids. It was like he hasn't been in school since he was a child himself but still thinks he can spout off about it. He comes across as very self-important, because his experience was a bad one then he can speak for all. My interest in history was kindled mainly by an inspirational teacher.

He also thinks there will be no schools in future because children will learn everything by playing computer games. Yes Terry, of course they will...

He could have a good discussion with old Starkey on the subject.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users