Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Acton maybe out longer than first fierd

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Acton maybe be out longer soooo it says in news n star tonight

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Haven game ...month away . He terrorises them !!

#3 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Better to have the monster right then rush him back

#4 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Gutted !!! IMO we are now without our best two props who started the season, Acton and Walne. Let's hope it's only 3 weeks and doesn't turn into 3 months.

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

To right . The beast from the south east is vital to us . He just gives the kind of muscle that's infectious and lifts a team .

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#6 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Gutted lik defo need walnes loan extended and hopefully macgraff back for a few games

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Aye you need all the oomph you can get in the pack , and those two lads are pedigree players .

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think at some point soon we are going to have to use DR players more if only to keep our squad fully fit.    Other clubs that are in a partnership with a SL club don't find any problems using up to 5 DR players at a time so what's good for the goose is good for the gander, is it not?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

We're getting to the stage of the season where injuries could really bite . We need to keep our players fit and fresh - this is a very long league season and we're playing catchup . We may be playing two games in a week at least a couple of times , so I've no problem with use of DR as a way of looking after our squad , and of course these are good players with something to add . It's not a locals v DR argument , it's just a judicious way of keeping players from getting burned out and then injured. The second half of the season we may well need this partnership , we need to stay strong as this season is the most important in many a year and we can't be running out of bodies again . You do that by overworking your players , so it is something to ponder on . Just injecting a DR or two to spell players to me is just sound planning and shows were looking at the big picture . Its not a case of flooding the team or having the wrong reasons , its using Widnes to help look after our assets without weakening our team and trying to minimise burnout . Our guys do give and take lots of bash.

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#10 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Well Gore,Davies,Briscoe,Isa, and Declan Hulme need game time.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 23 May 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#11 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

These 2 games in 4 days may result in a few of those guys playing, maybe in the NRC vs batley away too

#12 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Think we could be having three this week end and at this time it looks like we could do with them,we have big red out with a damaged ankle so could be Hulme and two forwards.

#13 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Think we could be having three this week end and at this time it looks like we could do with them,we have big red out with a damaged ankle so could be Hulme and two forwards.

surely patrick will just go in at centre.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#14 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Ben Cross was saying on Radio Merseyside that the Dr is not working, as players not getting a game at Widnes.Working for Warrington and some clubs.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 24 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Ben Cross was saying on Radio Merseyside that the Dr is not working, as players not getting a game at Widnes.Working for Warrington and some clubs.

he cant expect town to accomodate 4 or 5 widnes players just because they cant get a game at widnes, town are doing whats right for town and thats exactly as it should be.

#16 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Depends on your approach to DR. We seem to mainly follow the line of using DR to meet an injury need, rather than that perhaps used by Warrington, to primarily meet the needs of match fitness for returning Warrington players and as part of their young player programme. Perhaps the best line for both clubs in the partnership is somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Supporter, 24 May 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#17 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

he cant expect town to accomodate 4 or 5 widnes players just because they cant get a game at widnes, town are doing whats right for town and thats exactly as it should be.

I agree just saying what Ben Cross mentioned.I feel they need to go back to U20s and can play Upto 4 over age players.Then Briscoe,Gore,Hulme etc will keep match sharpness.When they come to Workington they be rusty because not played for weeks or months in Briscoe case.This is why I am saying not working for Widnes and RFL need to change the structure.If Declan Hulme was playing u20s he be sharper if got recalled to Workington.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 24 May 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#18 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I agree just saying what Ben Cross mentioned.I feel they need to go back to U20s and can play Upto 4 over age players.Then Briscoe,Gore,Hulme etc will keep match sharpness.When they come to Workington they be rusty because not played for weeks or months in Briscoe case.

yeah thats going to play in the mind of the championship club,it can take a few games to get your sharpness back and playing one game every 4 or 5 weeks like hulme is, isnt going to do him any good either. sending players on loan is probably the best bet for both parties, the likes of briscoe and hulme could have easily come on 3 month loans then town would probably play them more often if there part of our set up.briscoe just seems very unlucky with playing, he was supposed to play vs keighley and it was called off, then i would of expected us to call him up last sunday when brett was ill but he had a testimonial game.

#19 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

yeah thats going to play in the mind of the championship club,it can take a few games to get your sharpness back and playing one game every 4 or 5 weeks like hulme is, isnt going to do him any good either. sending players on loan is probably the best bet for both parties, the likes of briscoe and hulme could have easily come on 3 month loans then town would probably play them more often if there part of our set up.briscoe just seems very unlucky with playing, he was supposed to play vs keighley and it was called off, then i would of expected us to call him up last sunday when brett was ill but he had a testimonial game.

Fully agree mate and I was seeing the best for both clubs not just for Widnes.Declan has not been in the plans, so a 3 month loan would have been better.Maybe a idea for next season and I know how it feels with DR, as Widnes where in that position in the Championship.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 24 May 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#20 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Lawton and Hulme in this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users