TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

What will be the legacy of the Italy World Cup team?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Providing they pick all of the eligible players playing in the NRL and SL Italy could be the surprise package at the 2013 World Cup. It would be great to see another force outside the top three in international rugby league. 

I'm not against the grand parent rule at all if it creates more competitiveness then why not. What I am querying is the long term legacy of utilising this recruitment strategy.

But really it's pointless having all these world class players if they are not available to promote the sport IN ITALY, How many big home games with these players will be planned against Australia, NZ, Wales, France or England?

How can the Italian governing body promote the sport in Italy and exploit the number of great players they have to get grass roots activity off the ground. After the World Cup some/most of those players will never play for Italy again which makes the whole effort counterproductive. They're available for some matches but not others. In fact the matches outside of the world cup are more important because these are the ones which lends itself to the long term stability of Italian league.

Another issue of course is he split between the two main bodies in Italy.....What's the next step for Italian Rugby League post World Cup.

#2 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

The two bodies need to come together otherwise any progress will be limited.

Edited by Evil Homer, 23 May 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#3 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Who might get picked for them then - Gower, Minichello, maybe Laffranchi ?

Edited by The Big Gun, 23 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Italy in the World Cup can't do any harm. If they go well, it will appeal to Italians and may encourage them to show an interest in the game.

Each nation in the World Cup needs to use the opportunity to showcase the sport in their own country and in a way that suits them.

Are there media in Italy that will be interested in the Craig Gower story for example? Whatever size the domestic player base is in Italy at the moment, it's difficult to imagine it will shrink as a result of Italy being more competitive at RLWC2013 with a team full of Australian based players.

There is talk that Italy will play England in a warm up match. How great would that be for England to play someone different and there being a degree of uncertainty about the result beforehand.

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

I'm hoping Wales have a great tournament with their WELSH players so, in front of, hopefully, lots of WELSH fans, the AUSSIE Italians get beat in Cardiff. Italy can win their other games.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#6 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

Who might get picked for them then - Gower, Minichello, maybe Laffranchi ?

Correct, both Minichellos, Vic Mauro, Terry Campese. There are more but I cant remember all of them!

Campese has come back from injury and playing very well for the Raiders. Italy could cause a few problems, particularly upsetting Wales on opening day!

Edited by Southstander13, 24 May 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#7 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

There is around 16 teams which seems good growth

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Having the italians at the World cup instead of Lebanon or Serbia stinks. Playing a team of Oz/Italians stinks. It won't benefit TGG, simply give some less than top rate Aussies a Kontiki tour. I am praying the Welsh players in Wales beat them. If the Vichy press needed any excuse (not that they will) to attack our World Cup as an artificial construct ("2 states in Australia and some of the north of England" being in every Unionistas draft folder ready to go) then the Italian team is manna from heaven.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 24 May 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Having the italians at the World cup instead of Lebanon or Serbia stinks. Playing a team of Oz/Italians stinks. It won't benefit TGG, simply give some less than top rate Aussies a Kontiki tour. I am praying the Welsh players in Wales beat them. If the Vichy press needed any excuse (not that they will) to attack our World Cup as an artificial construct ("2 states in Australia and some of the north of England" being in every Unionistas draft folder ready to go) then the Italian team is manna from heaven.

Wasn't the Lebanon team in 2000 full of Aussies? And I can guarantee if they were at this one, the majority of the side would still be Australian. The Wales side will have a fair few English and one or two Australian accents in it as well. Isn't Daniel Mortimer being touted as a possible Wales player?

The Ireland and Scotland teams will be predominantly made up of 'heritage' players as well. Should they not be allowed at the World Cup either? If many of the nations had to rely on genuine home grown talent we wouldn't be having a 14 team World Cup at all.

#10 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Totally disagree the rebel Italia rfl had the final of coppa televised on tv around 1500 attended while many ex Italian pro union players are involved in either the serie a or rebel league

#11 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Winnyason - I had no idea there was anything more than a few Sydneysiders and the odd social game of league in Italy. If it is the case that there is a thriving league which will contribute players and support for the World Cup then my previous post should be condemned as ill informed ignorant drivel. Which would distinguish it from mush of the well informed purple prose I usually write.
Of course, if it's just a Syndneysider Kontiki tour with no local links or development then I'll stand by my insightful words.
Wales picking Mortimer is so far away from the Italian proposition as to endorse rather than disprove my point.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

Winnyason - I had no idea there was anything more than a few Sydneysiders and the odd social game of league in Italy. If it is the case that there is a thriving league which will contribute players and support for the World Cup then my previous post should be condemned as ill informed ignorant drivel. Which would distinguish it from mush of the well informed purple prose I usually write.
Of course, if it's just a Syndneysider Kontiki tour with no local links or development then I'll stand by my insightful words.
Wales picking Mortimer is so far away from the Italian proposition as to endorse rather than disprove my point.

There are two domestic RL competitions in Italy, but when it comes to internationals, they tend to pack the side out with heritage players from the NRL. I'd hope to see some homegrown players get a chance at the RWC, but I'm not holding my breath.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

The rebel FIRFL claimed something like 80 teams at various levels. They also seem to be organizing their own unsanctioned international, so the chances of the top domestic Italian players being involved seem slim. I'm guessing there will be maybe two or three domestic players max in the squad.

Edited by Evil Homer, 24 May 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Asking as there a few locals in the squad to train and experience what it's like at this level, it's progress in my eyes.

Baby steps.
Posted Image

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I understand your concerns but the rules say that you can pack your side out with heritage players for the world cup, so what do nations do?

What I would like to see - and I don't know how you'd finance it - is some sort of inter-league tournament for the developing leagues in Europe (+ guests from RLEF's sphere of influence, depending on cost). Soccer used to have inter-league fixtures years ago, such as the Football League against the Scottish League, and if rugby league could arrange something similar then I think it would better reflect the strength of each league.  

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I understand your concerns but the rules say that you can pack your side out with heritage players for the world cup, so what do nations do?

What I would like to see - and I don't know how you'd finance it - is some sort of inter-league tournament for the developing leagues in Europe (+ guests from RLEF's sphere of influence, depending on cost). Soccer used to have inter-league fixtures years ago, such as the Football League against the Scottish League, and if rugby league could arrange something similar then I think it would better reflect the strength of each league.  

Agreed, or taking it even further, a residents World Cup made up of teams with players from the local competition, encompassing everyone bar the top 4 or 5 nations. That way we could truly see how each nation was progressing development wise. You could arrange it based on existing competitions (Euro Shield etc.) with Euro, Pacific, African and American competitions and finals, with the winners going through to a world finals series. That way you only have to finance a few extra matches, although even then extra finance would be needed, but most of the games could be based on existing competitions with those used as qualifiers. Again, it comes down to finance, but I'm sure it would give encouragement to nations developing their own competitions who don't have a steady stream expats in Australia or England to wheel out for big games.

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

This is an idea but what will work best is a cap on 2nd generation (i.e. grandparent rule) players per international squad. If you capped this at 6 or even 8 then the make-up of each team would be a better reflection of talent in that country. Wales, Scotland, Lebanon, Italy and USA being obvious examples.

Agreed, or taking it even further, a residents World Cup made up of teams with players from the local competition, encompassing everyone bar the top 4 or 5 nations. That way we could truly see how each nation was progressing development wise. You could arrange it based on existing competitions (Euro Shield etc.) with Euro, Pacific, African and American competitions and finals, with the winners going through to a world finals series. That way you only have to finance a few extra matches, although even then extra finance would be needed, but most of the games could be based on existing competitions with those used as qualifiers. Again, it comes down to finance, but I'm sure it would give encouragement to nations developing their own competitions who don't have a steady stream expats in Australia or England to wheel out for big games.

#18 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

This is an idea but what will work best is a cap on 2nd generation (i.e. grandparent rule) players per international squad. If you capped this at 6 or even 8 then the make-up of each team would be a better reflection of talent in that country. Wales, Scotland, Lebanon, Italy and USA being obvious examples.

Would you have this for all internationals, because I wonder what the effect this kind of rule would have on say Scotland for example. Their domestic league is nowhere near the standard to develop players to play in a full World Cup, and as few Scotsmen make it to SL or the Championships, I'd be very hesitant to start putting caps on who they can pick. Certainly not if we want them to be competitive in tournaments like the World Cup.

#19 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

You can't 'cap' international players. If they are eligible then they are eligible, and if they are not then they are not. Stupid idea.

#20 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Introducing a one nation for life rule and a schedule involving all nations will fix the problem. Only players who are committed to their particular nation will be involved and these gimmick teams will dissapear. Countries will be able to plan their future around a committed pool of players at their disposal. We need to stop going for the quick fix and start thinking long term!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users