Photo
- - - - -

What will be the legacy of the Italy World Cup team?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Of course you can. You change the eligibility rule to parent, residency or birth only. Then place in a rule that countries can apply to have up to 6 or 8 players available for tournaments under the grandparent rule. Aus, NZ, Eng, PNG, France will not bother asking for this dispensation. The other countries can apply for it. What is the problem? Has to be better than it is now.

You can't 'cap' international players. If they are eligible then they are eligible, and if they are not then they are not. Stupid idea.

#22 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Of course you can. You change the eligibility rule to parent, residency or birth only. Then place in a rule that countries can apply to have up to 6 or 8 players available for tournaments under the grandparent rule. Aus, NZ, Eng, PNG, France will not bother asking for this dispensation. The other countries can apply for it. What is the problem? Has to be better than it is now.

You can't possibly do that, it's absolute nonsense and makes a mockery of the whole thing. If players qualify then they qualify, you can't have players 'sort-of qualifying' or bring ringers into international sides, that isn't how international sport works. Ideally they would be bound by a one-nation-for-life rule, and that would be that.

Apart from the nation swapping, the only problems with the eligibility rules at present are the obscure 'residency' requirements.

Edited by Evil Homer, 27 May 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#23 bato2069

bato2069
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

1.A.Minichello (Roosters)

2.J.Tedesco (Tigers)

3.S.Berrigan (Raiders)

4.S.Nero (Salford SL)

5.J.Mantello (Knights)

6.T.Campese (Raiders)

7.C.Gower © (Knights)

8.C.Ciraldo (Panthers)

9.J.Romelo (Bulldogs)

10.K.Snowden (Knights)

11.A.Lanfanchi (St Helens SL)

12.M.Minichello (Titans)

13.A.Guerra (Roosters)

14.J.Reithmuller (Cowboys)

15.V.Mauro (Manly)

16.G.Rovelli (Qld Cup)

17.R.Ghetti (Qld Cup)

This side would compete #Dark Horse Azzuri

#24 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

no actual players from Italy, then?

#25 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

2.J.Tedesco (Tigers)
3.S.Berrigan (Raiders)
4.S.Nero (Salford SL)
5.J.Mantello (Knights)
6.T.Campese (Raiders)
7.C.Gower © (Knights)
8.C.Ciraldo (Panthers)
9.J.Romelo (Bulldogs)
10.K.Snowden (Knights)
12.M.Minichello (Titans)
13.A.Guerra (Roosters)
15.V.Mauro (Manly)
16.G.Rovelli (Qld Cup)
17.R.Ghetti (Qld Cup)

So how many of these players are going to be available for selection after the world cup?

#26 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

no actual players from Italy, then?

There'll be a couple picked in the 25 man squad, but I'd be surprised if they play much. But they won't be the only nation doing that.

#27 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

2.J.Tedesco (Tigers)

3.S.Berrigan (Raiders)

4.S.Nero (Salford SL)

5.J.Mantello (Knights)

6.T.Campese (Raiders)

7.C.Gower © (Knights)

8.C.Ciraldo (Panthers)

9.J.Romelo (Bulldogs)

10.K.Snowden (Knights)

12.M.Minichello (Titans)

13.A.Guerra (Roosters)

15.V.Mauro (Manly)

16.G.Rovelli (Qld Cup)

17.R.Ghetti (Qld Cup)

How many of them actually speak italian?

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Can I just say to those that are calling for the Lebanese to be in the World Cup at the expense of Italy, remember how Lebanon started in 2000: a team full of Aussies. Look how that catalysed them into developing their own structure.

The same could happen to Italy. Let them have their turn. It could aid development massively over there. They qualified.
Posted Image

#29 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

How many of them actually speak italian?

Minichiello does, I'm guessing Gower probably does.

Edited by Evil Homer, 19 June 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#30 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Can I just say to those that are calling for the Lebanese to be in the World Cup at the expense of Italy, remember how Lebanon started in 2000: a team full of Aussies. Look how that catalysed them into developing their own structure.

The same could happen to Italy. Let them have their turn. It could aid development massively over there. They qualified.

Agreed. And if Lebanon had qualified, I bet most of the squad for the WC would've been Australian again. But they are developing the game in their own country.

#31 bato2069

bato2069
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

So how many of these players are going to be available for selection after the world cup?

Who wants to see an Amateur Italian side get flogged by 100 points in the World Cup??
As long as they have heritage who cares... It Is great for international rugby league and it will promote the game in Italy especially if they see there country being competitive!!
Home grown players helped Italy in the qualifying stages and I'm sure they will be picked in the 25 man squad!

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

I take your point but who also wants to see blow ins who disappear once the WC is over?

rldfsignature.jpg

#33 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

I take your point but who also wants to see blow ins who disappear once the WC is over?

If we had more regular internationals then maybe they wouldn't just come in and out as they please?

Imagine if that Italian team is competitive. It would be great if we could have a 4 team European Cup.
Posted Image

#34 bato2069

bato2069
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Reality is not all those players are goin to kick on and play for Nsw/Qld and Australia so you will find most of them will stay on and play for Italy....
And the Italian based players that will get picked in the 25 man squad will take what they have learnt and experienced back to Italy, an pass it onto other domestic Italian players, which hopefully will have a bigger supporter base from the Italian people after they see a competitive Italian side run around in the World Cup.

#35 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

Reality is not all those players are goin to kick on and play for Nsw/Qld and Australia so you will find most of them will stay on and play for Italy....

Possibly, but it doesn't mean they'll want to play for them outside World Cups. There are plenty of guys both in the NRL and this country who are only interested in playing in the big tournaments. And then of course you get the clubs preferring players to sit out 'less important' internationals as well.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,555 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

Imagine if that Italian team is competitive. It would be great if we could have a 4 team European Cup.

I can't imagine their NRL clubs letting them go for anything less than a World Cup, and even then only grudgingly.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I can't imagine their NRL clubs letting them go for anything less than a World Cup, and even then only grudgingly.

You beat me to it. How many Australia based Italian WC players will fly back to Europe for a European Cup match? The way to do it is to tie the EC in as a WC qualification tournament. By that I mean that whoever is in the EC when WC qualification is due to start will have the chance to qualify for the next WC. Promotion and relegation between the various European competitions would mean that no nation could afford to take the EC lightly as it may end in relegation down to the next level and the opportunity for WC qualification may be jeopardised. Then we might see a full strength Italian team in the European competitions rather than the domestic one currently taking part.

Edited by deluded pom?, 20 June 2013 - 04:55 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

You beat me to it. How many Australia based Italian WC players will fly back to Europe for a European Cup match? The way to do it is to tie the EC in as a WC qualification tournament. By that I mean that whoever is in the EC when WC qualification is due to start will have the chance to qualify for the next WC. Promotion and relegation between the various European competitions would mean that no nation could afford to take the EC lightly as it may end in relegation down to the next level and the opportunity for WC qualification may be jeopardised. Then we might see a full strength Italian team in the European competitions rather than the domestic one currently taking part.

A full strength italian team would give England a run for its money and thats the shame about it, will this full strength team play england outside the world cup? I doubt it

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 20 June 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#39 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Italy qualified, so they deserve their chance. So long as they operate within the rules, it is for the Italian RL to decide what is the best strategy for the game in Italy. We get so het up about heritage players in RL, but our rules on qualification are not much different form most other sports.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in the World Cup, and especially seeing them play in a warm up against England.

#40 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

and especially seeing them play in a warm up against England.

Is this actually taking place?

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users