NR Cup Draw - Qtr-finals

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

The full draw is:-    (Games to be played weekend of 16th June 2013)

Batley V TOWN

Swinton  V  Doncaster

Leigh  V  HAVEN

Sheffield   V  Dewsbury

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Deary deary me cheers Brian . Don't send our best team that day now . To many big games . At least haven can't gloat !! Don't do Cumbria any favours gee whizz!

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

yeah think thats us and haven will be heading out.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Yep we should forget that now and keep our powder dry for the league . If you get the luck of the draw you can put everything into it , but if not ...

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

See the rest of the hunslet squads turned up to watch tonight's game ...

#6 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

With Swinton and Leigh both drawn at home, I presume Swinton will have to play on the Saturday, with Leigh and Whitehaven having the Sunday slot unless Premier Sports pick one of the ties for the Thursday night match. Hard to guess which tie should get the Thursday slot, possibly Batley v Town?

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Sheffield v Dews I'd guess

#8 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Sheffield v Dews I'd guess

Probably right, Premier commentators are hinting that way.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I wonder if Keith's mate in the yellow top will get on the telly !!!!

#10 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not ideal draw, but not impossible, now down to squad management & priorities. Have faith.

#11 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I wonder what the odds would be that the three favourites would be kept apart and all drawn at home?
Latest odds to win the Cup: Sheffield 6/4; Leigh 9/4; Batley 5/2.

Edited by Supporter, 23 May 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

I wonder if Keith's mate in the yellow top will get on the telly !!!!

The one from last week is sitting with Eaton. The one from the first game has been on a couple of times, even went and add a word in the refs ear when the Hawks were making the conversion just before halftime.

Batley don't look too impressive tonight!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ok Supporter you seem to know what's happening so what are the odds for the other teams left in ?

I think Swinton will play Sunday and Leigh Friday or Saturday

#14 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

not a good draw. rest players for this one the league is our priority. batley at home would have been winnable but not away

Edited by town4me, 23 May 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#15 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ok Supporter you seem to know what's happening so what are the odds for the other teams left in ?
I think Swinton will play Sunday and Leigh Friday or Saturday

Doncaster 20/1; Swinton 20/1; Dewsbury 25/1; Whitehaven 33/1; Town 40/1.

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Batley play like us in general terms , big and strong and rely on bullying muscle up the guts to lay a platform and get dominance . They have more strike behind though , in particular a gem of a back three , and they have controlling halves . And that extra threat behind the scrum separates the top 5 from the rest . We've all got the biff , and some good halves are around ,but the cream have the creativity and class alround behind the pack to get full value for the yards made and territory gained . These teams can turn pressure into points with what they have . They also do the basics , defend their line , minimise their errors and grind you down - they generally do what they do at a consistent level for 80 or thereabouts. Recipe for getting into the top 5 !! You've just got to do your best at these teams and compete as best you can . Any bonus point is one gained

Edited by DavidM, 23 May 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#17 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Bad draw but you have to beat the big teams to win in soooo

Go for it up the town

#18 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

I see this game as a Win Win situation. To beat Batley would be brilliant, however, to enjoy a good game and come out of it injury free would also suit our League campaign. It would allow us to use the next round weekend to play one of our backlog games on a Sunday. Unfortunately, I don't see us being able to play our Sheffield away game on that date!

#19 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Batley play like us in general terms , big and strong and rely on bullying muscle up the guts to lay a platform and get dominance . They have more strike behind though , in particular a gem of a back three , and they have controlling halves . And that extra threat behind the scrum separates the top 5 from the rest . We've all got the biff , and some good halves are around ,but the cream have the creativity and class alround behind the pack to get full value for the yards made and territory gained . These teams can turn pressure into points with what they have . They also do the basics , defend their line , minimise their errors and grind you down - they generally do what they do at a consistent level for 80 or thereabouts. Recipe for getting into the top 5 !! You've just got to do your best at these teams and compete as best you can . Any bonus point is one gained

I think in general you are right. I don't think our pack is especially big but it is mobile and they get through a lot of work, particularly when Applegarth and Davies are playing. Our backs are outstanding, with lots of pace too. However we have decent half backs who all have a decent kicking game and provide control. Our biggest asset this season however is our defence. We have only conceded 20 points in a game once this season, and if that remains the case throughout the season we will win more than we lose.

I personally do not see our cup tie as a foregone conclusion!

Edited by distantdog, 23 May 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Speed kills in rugby league .... And defence is the bedrock of any top and trophy winning team . Soaking it up and being able to take your chances at the other end is a successful combo . Plus winning not on top form as we've just seen , can't knock that !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users