TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League to pay respects to Lee Rigby

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Rugby League fans will pay their respects to murdered soldier Lee Rigby with a minute’s silence before the final game on each day of the Super League Magic Weekend at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester.
Drummer Rigby, from Middleton near Rochdale, served in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and was killed by two assailants in south east London on Wednesday. He was 25.
A minute’s silence will be held before the Super League games, St Helens v Warrington Wolves on Saturday (6.45pm) and Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors on Sunday (7.30pm).

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Lovely tribute. Well thought. RIP.

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Indeed, good idea to do it at both matches too
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Good idea.

#5 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I don't necessarily have an issue but I do wonder why there isn't a minutes silence for Tia Sharp, April Jones etc etc etc etc etc

But I guess that's for another thread
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#6 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I don't necessarily have an issue but I do wonder why there isn't a minutes silence for Tia Sharp, April Jones etc etc etc etc etcBut I guess that's for another thread

I agree with you and think I understand your view point on this....... IMHO I think it's more to do with serving for her majesty!!

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't necessarily have an issue but I do wonder why there isn't a minutes silence for Tia Sharp, April Jones etc etc etc etc etc

But I guess that's for another thread

I see your point, but I think this one, unfortunately*, is seen as an attack on the country as well as the individual. 

We are quite good at showing respect, and when its asked of us we do it, its something that makes me quite proud of our supporters.

*Unfortunate in that it gives certain groups a bit of freedom to indulge rants that would normally be frowned upon.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

This is the right thing to do, we need to show our support.

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

A minutes silence that I'm sure will be observed perfectly.

Rugby League fans will pay their respects to murdered soldier Lee Rigby with a minute’s silence before the final game on each day of the Super League Magic Weekend at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester.
Drummer Rigby, from Middleton near Rochdale, served in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and was killed by two assailants in south east London on Wednesday. He was 25.
A minute’s silence will be held before the Super League games, St Helens v Warrington Wolves on Saturday (6.45pm) and Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors on Sunday (7.30pm).

May I just say that he grew up on Langley, a large council estate in Middleton where I spent the first few years of my life. That, and the fact that he too was born in Crumpsall, really added a poignancy to this killing.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#10 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Can I just clear up that I genuinely have no issue with it - perhaps not the best post to have made in hindsight.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#11 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

everyone knows what you mean, no harm done 

It's something I would have expected from us - and I've read other fans in earlier games are planning a 'tribute' maybe applause during their games. People are feeling a need to show their support for the family and armed forces,and to show solidarity against this atrocious barbaric attack.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

His band should be invited to perform before the World Cup match at Rochdale. Maybe they could do a slow march with colours lowered in tribute. Have a minutes silence and invite his family as guests of honour.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Can I just clear up that I genuinely have no issue with it - perhaps not the best post to have made in hindsight.

nobody took offence i think. People knew what you meant and know you're not that kind of bloke (as much as we can know you over t'net!).

Interestingly (or not) there was the odd complaint on twitter that there wasnt one before every game - any excuse to have a pop at the rfl.

I believe there was talk of a round of applause in minute 25 of each game - problem is thete is usually somethibg going on in rl unlike football where this kind of thing works well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users