TRL Helpdesk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Recently, about three weeks ago, we had a dishwasher installed at home and it's been used around a dozen times. We use off the shelf liquid (and differing) tablet/sachet doodahs and at the moment is on the automatic setting.

The problem is, once the items are dry and back in the cupboard, they have a really quite pungent smell similar to raw egg. There's no debris, they are clean, rinsed and dried in the dishwasher and we aren't in an area of hard water.

There's nothing in the troubleshoot about odours. What's going on? Is this normal? Will it ease out with continued use? It really is quite an awful smell.

I first thought it might have been similar to how water from the bathroom taps tastes different to the kitchen but it doesn't seem to be.

Cheers.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Sounds like bacteria. Stick a cup full of vinegar in the bottom rack on its own and run a cycle on its hottest setting, that should sort it.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Most have a filter somewhere.  Read the manual and clear out the filter, probably a bit of meat stuck there.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Just to be clear, or just to be clean, it is new, I dunno if that will make a difference.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

sounds like you've food stuck in the filter - so as above

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Just to be clear, or just to be clean, it is new, I dunno if that will make a difference.

No it definitely sounds bacterial from fragments of food. Vinegar on a hot setting will clean the filter and disposal pipes.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#7 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Stop pretending to be posh and use the washing up bowl.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I didn't even want it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,052 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

or continue pretending to be posh and have your scullery maid use the washing up bowl

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I recently bought a new washer drier. There was a solventy smell from the drying cycle and I wondered whether there was a bit of plastic packaging inside that required to be removed. Took the back plate off but couldn't see any. The smell disappeared after about a month. I think it was probably from .some kind of water-resistant or lubricant spray on the pulleys

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

To me a dishwasher is pure laziness

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

So it seems putting it on a cooler and shorter wash did the trick.

Pah, shows what you lot know! :P :D

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Discussing dishwashers, I purchased a new one two years ago and which continues to cause problems. For whatever reason, the door sometimes doesn't shut. The engineer has been out four times and even fitted a new program, but still the problem persists from time to time! Do I now insist on a new one?

Edited by Saint Billinge, 14 June 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#14 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,052 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

To me a dishwasher is pure laziness

Do you wash your clothes on a rock in the river?

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Discussing dishwashers, I purchased a new one two years ago and which continues to cause problems. For whatever reason, the door sometimes doesn't shut. The engineer has been out four times and even fitted a new program, but still the problem persists from time to time! Do I now insist on a new one?

Engineer?

I should say so.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

Persevere with the machine. It's just a cycle that it's going through.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users