Crossfields have reneged on today's fixture

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

We have just been informed that Crossfields have pulled out of today's fixture at Coventry Bears.
This late withdrawal will cause us major problems.
We have a TV crew coming to showcase the game, a race night organised for after the game.
We had arranged for bar staff to be laid on by our landlords and we will still have to pay for them and the use of the ground. It's not only the costs which will be considerable but the damage caused to the reputation of the league and our own profile will have a major knock on effect.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Not good enough, obviously.

I would, however, suggest to the NCL that Bank Holidays on which a major RL event is taking place are not an ideal time for fixtures. Still, I guess all the other games are on.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

dont teams get kicked out of the ncl for failing to show?

#4 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

dont teams get kicked out of the ncl for failing to show?

They can do but it's not a certainty. The club will have to grovel a bit and may have to be re-elected. I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute with the rules. It doesn't help Coventry very much.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#5 BearPie

BearPie
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

We obviously dont have the full story from Crosfields as of yet, but the vast majority of teams playing amateur RL in any age group will be fulfilling their fixtures this weekend.

All teams have an obligation to make matches happen, most do everything in their limited power to make them happen, and it's vital at the grassroots level of the sport.

So for us this is immensely disappointing.

#6 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

What excuse was given when they said they wasn't coming?

#7 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

We have just been informed that Crossfields have pulled out of today's fixture at Coventry Bears.
This late withdrawal will cause us major problems.
We have a TV crew coming to showcase the game, a race night organised for after the game.
We had arranged for bar staff to be laid on by our landlords and we will still have to pay for them and the use of the ground. It's not only the costs which will be considerable but the damage caused to the reputation of the league and our own profile will have a major knock on effect.

That's disgraceful. What excuse did Crossfields give.

#8 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

They did not contact us directly. We were informed by David Lowe.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

What excuse was given when they said they wasn't coming?

They were probably frightend of getting beat :ph34r:

Posted Image

#10 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

Crosfields have been a great club for many years with a long and proud history. I take no satisfaction in seeing them in their current situation, but great clubs like Millom, Saddleworth Rangers and Shaw Cross have all come back from very lean periods in recent years and I hope Crosfields can bounce back as well. Got to feel for Coventry as they seem to be doing everything right and in some aspects they appear to be way ahead of some of the more traditional clubs. You can't make players turn up and there seems to be a distinct lack of loyalty these days, compared to when I first got involved in the game. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case, because I don't know, but it is true in a lot of cases.

#11 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

That is the second year on the bounce that Crosfields haven't fulfilled a fixture. At this stage of the season as well it doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Can see some serious repercussions on the horizon.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#12 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

http://coventrybears...-coventry-bears

NCL statement

Edited by bearman, 26 May 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 revtype

revtype
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

http://coventrybears...-coventry-bears

NCL statement

NCL should wait until after the inquiry to villify Crossfields 

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

That is the second year on the bounce that Crosfields haven't fulfilled a fixture. At this stage of the season as well it doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Can see some serious repercussions on the horizon.

In Doncaster the first week in September (Ledger week) was traditionally the week when all the mines (10) would close for a weeks holiday, is there a similar tradition in the Crossfields area ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#15 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I sympathise with Coventry after all the effort they put in to make Saturday a big occasion and it be thwarted on the day. But lets not all start to hammer Crossfields, I feel sure that at least 80% of clubs have struggled at some stage of a season. The simple fact of the matter is that you cant make people play if they have other commitments or simply do not wish to play. I know of several clubs who have played this season without full squads. I don't think this will be the last time this happens this season and nobody wants this to happen but unfortunately players these days put other things before rugby.

#16 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Magic Weekend, Warrington v St Helens.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#17 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I sympathise with Coventry after all the effort they put in to make Saturday a big occasion and it be thwarted on the day. But lets not all start to hammer Crossfields, I feel sure that at least 80% of clubs have struggled at some stage of a season. The simple fact of the matter is that you cant make people play if they have other commitments or simply do not wish to play. I know of several clubs who have played this season without full squads. I don't think this will be the last time this happens this season and nobody wants this to happen but unfortunately players these days put other things before rugby.

They have a 2nd team and u18s don't they?

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

They have a 2nd team and u18s don't they?

I forgot 2nd and U18's don't do other commitments during bank holiday weekends.

Edited by Marauder, 27 May 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#19 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Magic Weekend, Warrington v St Helens.

The BARLA National Finals have occupied this Bank holiday weekend for a decade or so now, but I believe that I'm correct in saying that BARLA put their Fylde National Cup Finals back to Saturday 15th/Sunday 16th June, to avoid clashing with the Magic Weekend.

#20 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

I forgot 2nd and U18's don't do other commitments during bank holiday weekends.

So every single player had a commitment??
No one else gave the game up as it was on the fixtures at the start of the season, I understand Woolston v Blackbrook was moved to Friday night to accommodate magic weekend, but I guess forward planning is common sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users