Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Crossfields have reneged on today's fixture

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

And some people need to remember this is a amateur sport, played and administered by people pursuing their hobby.

So every single player had a commitment??
No one else gave the game up as it was on the fixtures at the start of the season, I understand Woolston v Blackbrook was moved to Friday night to accommodate magic weekend, but I guess forward planning is common sense.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

And some people need to remember this is a amateur sport, played and administered by people pursuing their hobby.

Totally agree, just asking the question

#23 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

And a team of amateurs were deprived of a game and had to pay for things that they got no return on not forgetting the poor image of the NCL this creates. I agree that players have other commitments but please don't tell me players at the club were good to go until two minutes before the game was due to kick off when a full club of players suddenly had "other commitments".

rldfsignature.jpg

#24 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have sympathy with any secretary who has to make that dreaded call, "We are not coming" 

I'm not going to say much at this stage but I will be keeping an eye on reports of teams travelling light, making their team up at the expense of their 2nds/U 18's, having to play 2nds mid-week so 1st can be guaranteed numbers on the week-end and obviously the reasons why.

Totally agree, just asking the question

#25 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

And a team of amateurs were deprived of a game and had to pay for things that they got no return on not forgetting the poor image of the NCL this creates. I agree that players have other commitments but please don't tell me players at the club were good to go until two minutes before the game was due to kick off when a full club of players suddenly had "other commitments".

Good on Coventry for putting on these added functions on their match day (Did Crossfields ask for the added functions?) Have you ever been a secretary of a club?

I have and you tend to wait till the last minute before you make that dreaded call simply because you will have lads and committee members running around trying to rustle up a team.

#26 Ratty

Ratty
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Good on Coventry for putting on these added functions on their match day (Did Crossfields ask for the added functions?) Have you ever been a secretary of a club?

I have and you tend to wait till the last minute before you make that dreaded call simply because you will have lads and committee members running around trying to rustle up a team.

Yes agree with you on that one Marauder, most Secretary's have been in the same postion where you get that sinking feeling and realise that you are not going to raise a team despite everyone running around and making phone calls etc., Sadly it happens at times and you all wonder why you bother. Until the next week!. I have every sympathy with Coventry as it's obvious they had put a lot of hard work into the weekend but I also feel for Crosfields who if my experience is anything to go by are a smashing club.

#27 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Yes agree with you on that one Marauder, most Secretary's have been in the same postion where you get that sinking feeling and realise that you are not going to raise a team despite everyone running around and making phone calls etc., Sadly it happens at times and you all wonder why you bother. Until the next week!. I have every sympathy with Coventry as it's obvious they had put a lot of hard work into the weekend but I also feel for Crosfields who if my experience is anything to go by are a smashing club.

I'm with you here. It's the most awful feeling - but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. I admire and respect Crosfields enormously. They are a good club and run a host of youth and junior teams. But at the end of the day, they're amateurs. They are not under contract. They don't get paid. Quite frankly, if the lads want to go and watch Warrington v Saints at the Etihad, well that's up to them. Let's not forget that the RFL have been bombarding us amateur clubs with offers of "buy one get one free", "earn x£ for your club" and urging us to all support the Magic Weekend. Well, some did - and look what the consequences are. Lessons should be learned from this - and now we've switched to summer, perhaps management and the RFL have to understand that us volunteers don't get many Bank Holidays a year and, when we do, we want to spend it doing other things that we like. At the end of the day, Crosfields will be punished severely by the NCL. But please, let's minimise the probability of it happening again.

#28 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'd have had more respect if THEY had informed us rather than leaving it to David Lowe to pass the message on.
The game will probably be rescheduled for 13 July. ( subject to our ground being available)
I hope our players have not taken advantage of what was scheduled to be a blank week to book a holiday.

Edited by bearman, 27 May 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#29 eastlad

eastlad
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Did the meeting go ahead on the 28th about this?

If so, does anyone know the outcome?

#30 Dessie O'Hare

Dessie O'Hare
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Did the meeting go ahead on the 28th about this?

If so, does anyone know the outcome?

Adjourned until 17th June
"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

#31 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

With the holiday period soon to be upon us I just hope that all clubs have adequate player cover and or contingency plans to prevent a repeat of this. Or do the NCL have a contingency plan for a club for such eventualities that may be reasonably foreseable I.e stag do wedding etc?

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'd have had more respect if THEY had informed us rather than leaving it to David Lowe to pass the message on.
The game will probably be rescheduled for 13 July. ( subject to our ground being available)
I hope our players have not taken advantage of what was scheduled to be a blank week to book a holiday.

Did they wait till the last minute to see if they could muster a team, then when they couldn't phone David Lowe first? If they did, did David say he was going to inform you?

Have Coventry ever defaulted on a fixture?

Edited by Marauder, 04 June 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#33 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

With the holiday period soon to be upon us I just hope that all clubs have adequate player cover and or contingency plans to prevent a repeat of this. Or do the NCL have a contingency plan for a club for such eventualities that may be reasonably foreseable I.e stag do wedding etc?

To be fair, we at Shaw Cross had a backlog fixture put in place on what had originally looked like a free weekend. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for us to raise a team on that date. We made David Lowe aware of this and he was very accommodating, allowing us to re-schedule the fixture to a midweek game because we gave him plenty of notice, and our opposition were happy with the arrangement.

#34 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

All teams were told at an NCL meeting that although they were down as backlog fixtures it is very likely teams will get a game either re-arranged or one  brought forward. 

Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

#35 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Have Coventry ever defaulted on a fixture?

No.

In an earlier post you asked if Crosfields had asked for the extra activities?
We're we supposed to ask their permission to lay on entertainment for our supporters?
We naively thought it was up to the home team to organise the afternoons entertainment.
Perhaps in future we should ask our opponents if they will be bothering to turn up.
Incidentally we were informed at 12 noon that they were not travelling, perhaps they have faster transport than us because we have to leave at 10am to get to Lancashire or Yorkshire. Is it faster going downhill to Coventry?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#36 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

No.

In an earlier post you asked if Crosfields had asked for the extra activities?
We're we supposed to ask their permission to lay on entertainment for our supporters?
We naively thought it was up to the home team to organise the afternoons entertainment.
Perhaps in future we should ask our opponents if they will be bothering to turn up.
Incidentally we were informed at 12 noon that they were not travelling, perhaps they have faster transport than us because we have to leave at 10am to get to Lancashire or Yorkshire. Is it faster going downhill to Coventry?

Your arrogance is not alluring. Crosfields have been in existence a lot longer than you have, and will no doubt never have received the amount of support in 30 years that you have received for just a few years from the RFL - despite the fact that they run over 20 (TWENTY) teams. They had massive problems on that day. Unfortunately (for you) they were due to travel to Coventry. I've no doubt you will be compensated for your troubles. But now you need to get over it, and move on with your fixtures. It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure that officials from Crosfields felt a whole lot worse on the day than you did.

#37 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Your arrogance is not alluring. Crosfields have been in existence a lot longer than you have, and will no doubt never have received the amount of support in 30 years that you have received for just a few years from the RFL - despite the fact that they run over 20 (TWENTY) teams. They had massive problems on that day. Unfortunately (for you) they were due to travel to Coventry. I've no doubt you will be compensated for your troubles. But now you need to get over it, and move on with your fixtures. It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure that officials from Crosfields felt a whole lot worse on the day than you did.

ive started about 10 replies to this post but deleted them all.......and figured out that this is the most appropriate reply...

CLOWN! 

#38 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Crosfields have been in existence in since about 1926 (Wish I had my records to hand). They have won the BARLA National cup. They run about 10 junior sides. Give them a ******** break for Gods sake.

#39 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm sorry if I come over as "Arrogant". Believe me there was nothing arrogant about me as I squirmed in the BBC radio studio last weekend as I tried to deflect the questions about what had happened. Nor have I been arrogant as I am questioned by our season ticket holders about the same subject. The damage that has been caused will not go away. Next year it will be up to US to convince our sponsors and supporters that Rugby League is not a joke sport.

I know that there are lots of hard working people at Crosfields. They,like us are trying to run a sports club in difficult times and I certainly wish them well.
I am not arrogant enough to believe that it will never happen to us either.
It may be a sweeping statement but it seems to me that the club committees are more committed than some of the players.
When we were first starting up I was advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers that run the club. Players will come and go, teams may be strong one year and less so the the next. That doesn't matter so long as the committee is strong enough to keep the club going into the future.
Someone posted on this thread that its time to move on and it is. It has happened and hopefully Crosfields can go on and prosper. As for Coventry, yes, we will get over it but there is no doubt that RL and our club have suffered a loss of credibility.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#40 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

It is interesting that most support is coming for the defaulters (the long standing team) while the aggrieved (the new boys) are taking all the flak.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users