Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Crossfields have reneged on today's fixture

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

It is interesting that most support is coming for the defaulters (the long standing team) while the aggrieved (the new boys) are taking all the flak.

Which is wrong, simple as

#42 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm sorry if I come over as "Arrogant". Believe me there was nothing arrogant about me as I squirmed in the BBC radio studio last weekend as I tried to deflect the questions about what had happened. Nor have I been arrogant as I am questioned by our season ticket holders about the same subject. The damage that has been caused will not go away. Next year it will be up to US to convince our sponsors and supporters that Rugby League is not a joke sport.

I know that there are lots of hard working people at Crosfields. They,like us are trying to run a sports club in difficult times and I certainly wish them well.
I am not arrogant enough to believe that it will never happen to us either.
It may be a sweeping statement but it seems to me that the club committees are more committed than some of the players.
When we were first starting up I was advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers that run the club. Players will come and go, teams may be strong one year and less so the the next. That doesn't matter so long as the committee is strong enough to keep the club going into the future.
Someone posted on this thread that its time to move on and it is. It has happened and hopefully Crosfields can go on and prosper. As for Coventry, yes, we will get over it but there is no doubt that RL and our club have suffered a loss of credibility.

I apologise if I misinterpreted your post. You were correctly advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers (and not the players). I have been a volunteer for over 30 years and I know a large number of the "volunteers" at Crosfields. Believe me, they were probably more upset than you that they reneged on the fixture. They didn't decide on the Thursday night after training that they weren't going to travel, they fully intended to travel until things started to go wrong (with the players) on Saturday morning. I don't know what will happen to Crosfields now, once the NCL management have made their decision. I only know that I feel desperately sorry for the volunteers that have took the club forward over many years, who clearly have been willing to "give" more than the players on that particular day.

#43 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

I apologise if I misinterpreted your post. You were correctly advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers (and not the players). I have been a volunteer for over 30 years and I know a large number of the "volunteers" at Crosfields. Believe me, they were probably more upset than you that they reneged on the fixture. They didn't decide on the Thursday night after training that they weren't going to travel, they fully intended to travel until things started to go wrong (with the players) on Saturday morning. I don't know what will happen to Crosfields now, once the NCL management have made their decision. I only know that I feel desperately sorry for the volunteers that have took the club forward over many years, who clearly have been willing to "give" more than the players on that particular day.

Do we know why just that week the players weren't there? It is a shame for the hard work people put in behind the scenes

#44 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Do we know why just that week the players weren't there? It is a shame for the hard work people put in behind the scenes

Apparently the full explanation has been given to an NCL discipline committee, who will in turn report to the full NCL committee for a decision to be made.

I understand that it started off okay, but one or two players cried off that morning for whatever reasons - and it deteriorated from then on. I've no doubt that had they been travelling locally, they would have had more time to pull lads together and the fixture would have been fulfilled, but the early start required for the Coventry trip obviously didn't help. I do hope that the right decision will be made by the NCL which will support Crosfields - and the member NCL clubs - as best they can.

#45 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

I do hope that the right decision will be made by the NCL which will support Crosfields - and the member NCL clubs - as best they can.

For those that don't know, what is the right decision?

#46 ROOSTER1980

ROOSTER1980
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

For those that don't know, what is the right decision?

Who knows? Presumably the decision that is right for both Crosfields and the NCL. Clubs will have their own idea of what 'punishment' should be administered.

#47 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Who knows? Presumably the decision that is right for both Crosfields and the NCL. Clubs will have their own idea of what 'punishment' should be administered.

But everyone knows it's going to be a £500 fine and re-election at the end of the season.

#48 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

But everyone knows it's going to be a £500 fine and re-election at the end of the season.

Correct.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#49 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm writing from Crosfields ARLFC, we've declined to comment so far until we heard the outcome of the NCL Managment's team, that has now been delivered as as widely expected we have been fined £500 with a 2 point deduction.  This will also require us to seek re-election for the 2014 season

We presented our case to the management team, we caught a cold that particular weekend.  During the week leading up to the game there were no signs that players would not be available, the 17 were chosen on the Thursday night, but quite a number dropped out for varying reasons on the day in question which left us short of a team. Due to it being Magic Weekend our A team did not have a scheduled fixtures, so none were available at such short notice.  It was very disappointing that we could not field a team form our 1st team squad

We've worked hard internally to address these issues and are looking to the future, to that end we had 6 of our under 18s and 2 of our under 16s make their open age debut last week for our A team to get them exposed to the Open Age set up, and give us the depth in squad needed for the rest of the season and beyond

I have liaised with Coventry to offer our apologies as they were ultimately the victim for this, its not something that should happen in the NCL.  I completely understand their frustration and anger with our club and recognise its up to us to repair that relationship. With Coventry,looking to join the professional ranks next season we know we need to do this quickly.  I'll re-assure everybody that nobody more than the committee at Crosfields felt as bad about this situation

We have accepted the NCL's ruling and will not appeal the decision as feel it is correct, fair and consistent with other judgement and would expect the same ruling to happen to anybody else in this circumstance.  We will be seeking re-election at the end of the season.

#50 barbara henderson

barbara henderson
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm writing from Crosfields ARLFC, we've declined to comment so far until we heard the outcome of the NCL Managment's team, that has now been delivered as as widely expected we have been fined £500 with a 2 point deduction.  This will also require us to seek re-election for the 2014 season

We presented our case to the management team, we caught a cold that particular weekend.  During the week leading up to the game there were no signs that players would not be available, the 17 were chosen on the Thursday night, but quite a number dropped out for varying reasons on the day in question which left us short of a team. Due to it being Magic Weekend our A team did not have a scheduled fixtures, so none were available at such short notice.  It was very disappointing that we could not field a team form our 1st team squad

We've worked hard internally to address these issues and are looking to the future, to that end we had 6 of our under 18s and 2 of our under 16s make their open age debut last week for our A team to get them exposed to the Open Age set up, and give us the depth in squad needed for the rest of the season and beyond

I have liaised with Coventry to offer our apologies as they were ultimately the victim for this, its not something that should happen in the NCL.  I completely understand their frustration and anger with our club and recognise its up to us to repair that relationship. With Coventry,looking to join the professional ranks next season we know we need to do this quickly.  I'll re-assure everybody that nobody more than the committee at Crosfields felt as bad about this situation

We have accepted the NCL's ruling and will not appeal the decision as feel it is correct, fair and consistent with other judgement and would expect the same ruling to happen to anybody else in this circumstance.  We will be seeking re-election at the end of the season.

All the best for the rest of the season Spidey, I am quite sure there are many other clubs waiting nervously every Saturday lunch time for players to turn up. :sclerosis:

#51 ROOSTER1980

ROOSTER1980
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Very pleased you're still with us! Good luck for the rest of the season.

#52 Ratty

Ratty
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Time to draw a line under this whole business now and get on with what will hopefully be the remainder of an enjoyable season for you. I feel sure Crosfields will have no problems with re-election. Good luck to you all.

Edited by Ratty, 14 June 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#53 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

On behalf of Coventry I can confirm that Crosfields have been extremely helpful in seeking to find a solution.
The game has now been rescheduled for Sunday the 11th of August 2.30 at the Butts Park Arena.
We look forwards to hosting them and certainly wish them well in their re-election to the NCL.
We will be supporting their application.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#54 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

On behalf of Coventry I can confirm that Crosfields have been extremely helpful in seeking to find a solution.
The game has now been rescheduled for Sunday the 11th of August 2.30 at the Butts Park Arena.
We look forwards to hosting them and certainly wish them well in their re-election to the NCL.
We will be supporting their application.

Well done bearman. How did you get on today against pilks?.

#55 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Well done bearman. How did you get on today against pilks?.

Lost 22-26.best team won but we gave them a fright!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#56 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Lost 22-26.best team won but we gave them a fright!

Good stuff I watch the game at pilks a few weeks ago and thought you grew into the game as it went on. Looks like you've kept it going.

#57 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Good to see both clubs communicating and putting this episode behind them. Best of luck to both clubs for the rest of the season .

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users