RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sky coverage of Magic Weekend.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Credit where it's due - brilliant.

Nice to see real effort with new cameras.
Spidercam is great, although they need to move it out the way at times

ref cam working well and Stuart Cummings is adding some credibility to ref discussions rather than leaving the experts to argue.

Great coverage - over 9 hours live - well done Sky.
  • amh likes this

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

My only gripe is it's a bit more jumpy than usual, going from one camera to another to another a lot more than usual. And I wish they'd sort out Cummings mic! And then not invite Squeecroft back.

But like all new things, a few bugs to be ironed out. I see why they only use spidercam from behind the play though, I dunno what the protocol would be if the ball was kicked into it.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

My only gripe is it's a bit more jumpy than usual, going from one camera to another to another a lot more than usual. And I wish they'd sort out Cummings mic! And then not invite Squeecroft back.

But like all new things, a few bugs to be ironed out. I see why they only use spidercam from behind the play though, I dunno what the protocol would be if the ball was kicked into it.

i think thats why it has to be behind the attacking team.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Anyroad, what about the TRL coverage of the Magic Weekend?!!

:unsure: :P

• amh likes this

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Average at best.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

:D

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Loving it

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

:biggrin:

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

#magicweekend has been trending on twitter for much of today

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

#magicweekend has been trending on twitter for much of today

Is #Ganson trending yet?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't mind the spidercam if it's right on top of the play i.e ten yards but I think it detracts from the coverage if they have it fifty yards behind.

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Stevo just said they've been working together for 23 years, cripes.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Did Cummings send Carney off in his career? Brian seems to be hammering Stuart at times!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Did Cummings send Carney off in his career? Brian seems to be hammering Stuart at times!

yes - bit harsh wasnt he!?!?

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I see why they only use spidercam from behind the play though, I dunno what the protocol would be if the ball was kicked into it.

Cummings just said if it affects play, scrum to the team to be disadvantaged. Boom!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,638 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Cummings just answered the hitting the camera problem.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#17 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

I like the spidercam, but I think they are over using it. It's good for a few seconds at a time but we've been left way behind play when a few breaks have been made and they have stayed with it for 10 seconds or so.

I do hope they continue to use it for the bigger games though.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#18 Southern Tiger

Southern Tiger
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Love the spider cam especially how it follows the play from behind the attacking team, it really gives a fresh insight to the moves and gap finding and that brilliant shot of the 40/20 kick was exceptional. Not bothered about ref cam really. Cummings didn't seem to know the rules very well which was worrying and Ganson left a new supporter I was introducing to the game thinking it was rigged. Also very disappointing that the gate failed to improve even though it was far more accessible to heartland supporters, surely the Hull derby should have been the last of the day.
If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

Posted Image

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Love the spider cam especially how it follows the play from behind the attacking team, it really gives a fresh insight to the moves and gap finding and that brilliant shot of the 40/20 kick was exceptional. Not bothered about ref cam really. Cummings didn't seem to know the rules very well which was worrying and Ganson left a new supporter I was introducing to the game thinking it was rigged. Also very disappointing that the gate failed to improve even though it was far more accessible to heartland supporters, surely the Hull derby should have been the last of the day.

Im not convinced a mid-table clash should get top billing if i'm honest.

Whilst I wasnt there, it looked like the Wire fans played their part as usual, but there always seems to be a lack of support from Saints at tge event.

#20 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Im not convinced a mid-table clash should get top billing if i'm honest.

Whilst I wasnt there, it looked like the Wire fans played their part as usual, but there always seems to be a lack of support from Saints at tge event.

From what I've seen on TV (not attended in person this year) it's the same clubs getting behind it in numbers now as it was for the very first one in Cardiff. Wire have been amongst the top teams in terms of support. And I would also say so have both the Hull teams. The majority of the Saints supporters only seem to turn up for their own game and seemed pretty thin on the ground over the weekend when I was in both Cardiff and Edinburgh. I have no empirical evidence of course, just how it seemed to be to me.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users