Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New England Shirt

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

The Black Knight didn't wear grey armour. I'd just like them to design a shirt and stick with the basic design ad infinitum not ###### about with it every eighteen months.

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

That wouldn't be bad at all.

Thanks Jon

Just a simple white shirt with two hoops - aligns with other sports in athletics.

I'd also have a simple flat 2d rose on the heart side (the same rose design in the 1950s GB top which is distinct to RUs)

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Jon

Just a simple white shirt with two hoops - aligns with other sports in athletics.

I'd also have a simple flat 2d rose on the heart side (the same rose design in the 1950s GB top which is distinct to RUs)

No thanks. You Lancashire folk can keep your red rose!

I'd like St George on the badge. Makes us distinct from the 3 lions of football/cricket and the red rose of rugby union, but still very very English.

Something like:
st_george.jpg

st-george-flag.jpg

st.georges-hospital-medical-school-logo-

Another problem with the current logo is you can't subtly change the colours on it to fit in with certain colour ranges. It HAS to have red and white on it because if the flag.
Posted Image

#24 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Nice colours on the original mock-up. I've always thought the England shirt should have a chevron, and to placate the people who insist anything with a red vee is a st.helen's shirt i'd always thought a subtle silver/off-white chevron would look real nice, with pops of red on the collar and maybe sleeves.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#25 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

I've never understood the obsession of the RFL in trying to design playing kit out of a national flag, nor in using the colours of the England flag. Look at the traditional playing kit of the other major England teams:-

Nike-announce-first-England-football-kit

162432477_2905176.jpg

is-england-cricket-captain-andrew-straus

White and navy!

Rugby league should follow suit, come up with a design based on those colours and stick to it.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,085 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

All of these sports have used red in their kits too over the years.

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I've never understood the obsession of the RFL in trying to design playing kit out of a national flag, nor in using the colours of the England flag. Look at the traditional playing kit of the other major England teams:-

162432477_2905176.jpg

White and navy!

Rugby league should follow suit, come up with a design based on those colours and stick to it.

The navy part of the union shirt is just the sponsor colour. The other parts are red.
Posted Image

#28 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

The navy part of the union shirt is just the sponsor colour. The other parts are red.

I was talking about the socks!

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

I was talking about the socks!

Ah, didn't notice them!

All looks a bit Scottish to me. Wouldn't wanna be mixed in with that skirt wearing lot...
Posted Image

#30 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

All of these sports have used red in their kits too over the years.

Yeah, but they never look as good!

White shirt with navy chevron(s), white or navy shorts, navy socks.

Red and white away kit - sorted!

#31 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ah, didn't notice them!

All looks a bit Scottish to me. Wouldn't wanna be mixed in with that skirt wearing lot...

It's been England's kit for as long as I can remember (and Scotifying the England kit isn't my agenda, honest).  ;)

#32 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Leave the England kit as it is. Why constantly change things? We've had a kit like that since the England RL brand was re-launched. Stick with it. It's very eye catching and clearly not a soccer or union kit.

#33 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Leave the England kit as it is. Why constantly change things? We've had a kit like that since the England RL brand was re-launched. Stick with it. It's very eye catching and clearly not a soccer or union kit.

No, neither of those sports would use a kit that looks like a generic Sports Direct 'England' shirt. And that goes double for the badge. 

Edited by nadera78, 28 May 2013 - 06:42 PM.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#34 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Nothing wrong with changing the shirt every couple of years, but it needs to retain a large element of consistency with previous versions. I still don't think England have found they're 'Look' yet.

For me it should be either a plain white jersey and shorts with red detailing and red socks.

And i think the badge is pretty good. Modern and fresh.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#35 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

As ever the problem is a strong differentiation with other sports. When got right shirts can be iconic. I miss the gb one!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#36 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Is there going to be a new one coming out in time for the World Cup?

If there is I hope they move away from the crappy St George's flag designs. I'd like something simplistic like the current England football shirt but with a grey chevron, or a stitched on white one if the shirt is made from cotton.

I've done a mock up;

engshirt.jpg

I've a feeling you might not be a million miles away considering the white and grey training gear that came out a few weeks back!

Posted Image

#37 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Here's my go at modifying the current badge into something that doesn't look like it's a cheap England soccer SportDirect.com rip off and sticks to the St George theme:

HorseCoatofArms_zpsffb32830.png

Posted Image

#38 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Argh! Kill it with fire!

Posted Image

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Here's my go at modifying the current badge into something that doesn't look like it's a cheap England soccer SportDirect.com rip off and sticks to the St George theme:

Too much.  Too much.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#40 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

That's awful, or to put it another way, that'd be a popular tattoo design that most of the squad would get inked.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,