Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New England Shirt

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#61 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hang fire - which sport uses the Tudor rose?

No-one afaik. Rah rahs use a red rose for some reason. I wouldn't object to using a tudor rose, as long as it was clearly and noticeably different to the inferior codes design.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#62 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

No-one afaik. Rah rahs use a red rose for some reason. I wouldn't object to using a tudor rose, as long as it was clearly and noticeably different to the inferior codes design.

Maybe a teeny bit smaller, eh?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#63 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hang fire - which sport uses the Tudor rose?

My bad. I meant the RU rose.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#64 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

A rose by another other name would still smell like union sh*t.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#65 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

I quite like it actually but, yes, the danger is that we look like we're copying union.

The NZRL used to have a crest, not the kiwi one, it was more formal. Like a coat of arms. I can't find an example of it anywhere but it looked good, very official looking, and I always thought we should design something similar.

#66 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

You need some colour on a shirt, it just needs to be subtle, bearing in mind you'll get colour also on the shorts (again, subtle), and full on colour on the socks. You don't want lots of colours on an England shirt. Its white with pops of colour/detailing.

Do you? I don't think you need colour.
The last England football shirt was just white shirt and shorts with a badge on it wasn't it? It looked brilliant, but we won't get away with no sponsors and a collar though!
Posted Image

#67 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

The last England (umbro) kit had dark red shorts i think.. though i think they did have an all white kit for one season.. on that kit the colour came from the badge and the manufacturer logo.. so extremely subtle.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#68 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

I quite like it actually but, yes, the danger is that we look like we're copying union.

The NZRL used to have a crest, not the kiwi one, it was more formal. Like a coat of arms. I can't find an example of it anywhere but it looked good, very official looking, and I always thought we should design something similar.

This one?

NEW_ZEALAND.jpg

#69 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

EastLondonMike, on 29 May 2013 - 15:49, said:
The last England (umbro) kit had dark red shorts i think.. though i think they did have an all white kit for one season.. on that kit the colour came from the badge and the manufacturer logo.. so extremely subtle.

They wore red shorts in one game due to a (perceived) colour clash in a game with Italy. Before the new kit, two of the last three had been all white, with the one used at the 2010 World Cup being, in my opinion, the pick of the crop.

http://www3.pictures...4hK1pAI8zbl.jpg

Back to RL, I like the idea of a dark blue chevron on white for an England kit. Not really been a fan of any of the England RL kits.

#70 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,521 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

This one?
NEW_ZEALAND.jpg

A pedant writes
That is not a crest.
It is a coat of arms
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#71 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

A pedant writes
That is not a crest.
It is a coat of arms

Mr Nads did infer this though...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#72 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,521 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Mr Nads did infer this though...

Aye so he did
Mumbles apologies and backs out of room
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#73 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Aye so he did

Nah it's alright, we all get one wrong every now and again! Do you fancy a gig as a video ref?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#74 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

This one?

NEW_ZEALAND.jpg

That's the one, good man!

I think it looks very good, and IIRC the various district RLs in New Zealand have their own versions too. Something along those lines for England would be good. You could maybe have elements to represent the three historic northern RL counties alongside something representing the expansion into the rest of the country.

#75 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

That's the nz coat of arms, it's on the right side of the kiwis shirt

#76 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Aye so he did

hand in your pedant badge! He implied not inferred. Sheesh. Youngsters today.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#77 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

They wore red shorts in one game due to a (perceived) colour clash in a game with Italy. Before the new kit, two of the last three had been all white, with the one used at the 2010 World Cup being, in my opinion, the pick of the crop.

http://www3.pictures...4hK1pAI8zbl.jpg

Back to RL, I like the idea of a dark blue chevron on white for an England kit. Not really been a fan of any of the England RL kits.

Sense at last. Bring rugby league into line with other mainstream England teams, Would look very smart!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#78 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

That's the nz coat of arms, it's on the right side of the kiwis shirt

It's based on the NZ coat of arms, but with a couple of alterations. The Kiwi instead of a crown, and the loss of the supporters.

Some of the district RLs in NZ - Canterbury, Wellington, West Coast, etc - have their own versions.

#79 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Agreed mate, it's still on the right chest of the jersey though, kiwi on top.

So should England carry something similar to the royal standard as a second badge in the jersey?

#80 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Agreed mate, it's still on the right chest of the jersey though, kiwi on top.

So should England carry something similar to the royal standard as a second badge in the jersey?

They used to have the British Isles XIII Coat of Arms on the shirt with all the home nations in the early noughties.
Posted Image