Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

STATE OF ORIGIN I - NSW vs QLD - Wed 5 Jun

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win State of Origin I ? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win State of Origin I ?

1. New South Wales (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Queensland (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

8 in a row! It's a simple as that.

If it goes to eight they may as well scrap it as NSW are obviously as uncompetitive as the GB team was in the eighties and nineties.

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

John Sutton and Josh Reynolds into NSW squad, decision on who will fill Gidley's spot on the bench to be made later this week.

#23 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

If it goes to eight they may as well scrap it as NSW are obviously as uncompetitive as the GB team was in the eighties and nineties.

I do wonder how many more years of NSW failure until Origin loses some of its lust.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I do wonder how many more years of NSW failure until Origin loses some of its lust.

No wonder they are finding it difficult to win.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#25 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

If it was QLD on the end of this streak, they would've been death riding it years ago.

NSW are on the end of it and the series had sold out crowds and all-time record TV audiences last year.

#26 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

John Sutton and Josh Reynolds into NSW squad, decision on who will fill Gidley's spot on the bench to be made later this week.

Josh Reynolds has just been announced (after Sutton was first D'oh)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#27 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

If it was QLD on the end of this streak, they would've been death riding it years ago.

NSW are on the end of it and the series had sold out crowds and all-time record TV audiences last year.

Unfortunately true. I remember when NSW won 3 in a row just prior to Queenslands current winning run, there were rumblings of discontent from a few Queenslanders.

Playing two games in Sydney this year could be a big advantage for the Blues.

#28 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Josh Reynolds has just been announced (after Sutton was first D'oh)

I would've preferred Adam Reynolds, but they want to use Josh as cover at hooker.

#29 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

I wonder if both these teams would beat the current England team.

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Queensland would, NSW wouldn't.

#31 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Signed up to Premier and seriously pumped for this and the rest of the NRL season, following the heartache of Super League's bumbling inability to modernise (but let's not go there). Stewart is a loss for NSW at FB but Luke Lewis was great off the bench for them last year so I'm hoping he gives them some punch up front. There is a danger that QLD run away with this but then it came down to a last gasp DG last year so there is hope.

The whole QLD/NSW/England comparison thing is interesting but even more interesting for me is the vast spread of clubs from which the SOO sides are drawn. This above anything else highlights the equality and intensity of NRL. Scubby's England side is drawn mainly from Leeds and Wigan and such a rep game over here would draw players from those and only about 2 other clubs. Those young players then considered to be making such rep game standard would then inevitably join one of said 4 sides (if not there already). We're making no efforts whatsoever to challenge this hierarchical system - in fact, by returning to P&R we're falling over ourselves to reinforce it - and this in a nutshell is why we'll never produce anything as exciting or popular as what we'll see on Wednesday and moving forward until their GF.

"Tinnies" at the ready, can't wait for the cauldron atmosphere and the world's single greatest sporting rivalry.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 03 June 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#32 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Woohoo! An excited post rather than the all too regular chip on shoulder attitude towards the Australian game.

You know, I don't think Stewart will be a loss for us at all. He did play well last year but I was still hoping he wouldn't get picked this year. Injury made it a non issue in the end and I'm glad Hayne finally gets a series at fullback. He's been NSW's best player over the last 5 years, and it's mostly been from the wing. He's a bit under the radar this year too, I think that's good for NSW.

Lewis has been in great form for the Sharks, with many Sharks fans calling him their most important forward over Gallen. I really hope his injury concerns don't interrupt his form.

The popularity of Origin will be there for all to see on Wednesday but I'm not expecting a flamboyant game. Daley intends on playing a simple game and if I'm reading between the lines correctly, he's looking to play a very direct game. And I hope so.

In the decider last year, it was infuriating to watch us constantly play sideways. We were going absolutely no where for the majority of the game. It's seriously amazing that we only lost by a point. I obviously didn't want to lose, but we fully deserved to.

If Maloney brings his direct playing style to Origin, and that seems to be Daley's intention, he'll be a good debutant.

In fact, I expect our other two debutants to be amongst our best performances. Fifita is an absolute beast and I just can't see him becoming stage fright. My boy, Fergo, well I guess he could easily be the best or worst player on the field. I'd be supremely confident in him if he were playing centre. On the wing, I'm not as sure but will back him to the hilt. Hopefully Daley gives him a run at centre throughout the match.

Go the Blues!

#33 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Bookies can't really split them http://www.rlbet.co....y-5th-june-2013

#34 Toddye13

Toddye13
  • Facebook
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

I can never understand why people want to compare an England side against a SOO side. NRL is far and away the best competition with the best players. NRL promote their game better to the wider audience.

It goes to show that the best the RFL can offer is England vs Exiles which is poor and not widely supported. I suppose it is better than playing the French/Catalan team.

If you want to talk which english players would make the NSW it would be George and Sam Burgess based on form. Graham is just coming back into some form after his suspension and I would have named him over Fifita. The only player I would include in the NSW side is Ryan Hall who is a class player with his size, strength and speed.

Tomorrows game will be huge after last years series. On paper QLD have the edge with their combinations of Smith,Cronk, Thurston, Slater, Hodges and Inglis to star.

NSW's side I am unsure of. The forward pack lacks some punch in the go forward which wont help Maloney give good ball to his outside backs. The Morris boys have only scored a few tries between them but are still class players.

I reckon Hayne and Jennings will be the breakout men for NSW with Farah and Lewis leading the pack.

My tip is NSW by 6 with Lewis MOM.

#35 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Even if the maroons win again, Origin as a concept is so big now that the public wont lose interest. I was lucky enough to be in Sydney last year and got tickets to the match at ANZ. Without doubt it was the best atmosphere i've ever experienced at a game, better than Grand finals, CC Finals and Internationals. The appetite for Origin is massive. 

I'm hoping for a Blues win but sadly I can't see past Queensland again, not with Slater, Inglis, Cronk & Smith in there - big game players & match winners in their own right.

#36 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Woohoo! An excited post rather than the all too regular chip on shoulder attitude towards the Australian game.

You know, I don't think Stewart will be a loss for us at all. He did play well last year but I was still hoping he wouldn't get picked this year. Injury made it a non issue in the end and I'm glad Hayne finally gets a series at fullback. He's been NSW's best player over the last 5 years, and it's mostly been from the wing. He's a bit under the radar this year too, I think that's good for NSW.

Lewis has been in great form for the Sharks, with many Sharks fans calling him their most important forward over Gallen. I really hope his injury concerns don't interrupt his form.

The popularity of Origin will be there for all to see on Wednesday but I'm not expecting a flamboyant game. Daley intends on playing a simple game and if I'm reading between the lines correctly, he's looking to play a very direct game. And I hope so.

In the decider last year, it was infuriating to watch us constantly play sideways. We were going absolutely no where for the majority of the game. It's seriously amazing that we only lost by a point. I obviously didn't want to lose, but we fully deserved to.

If Maloney brings his direct playing style to Origin, and that seems to be Daley's intention, he'll be a good debutant.

In fact, I expect our other two debutants to be amongst our best performances. Fifita is an absolute beast and I just can't see him becoming stage fright. My boy, Fergo, well I guess he could easily be the best or worst player on the field. I'd be supremely confident in him if he were playing centre. On the wing, I'm not as sure but will back him to the hilt. Hopefully Daley gives him a run at centre throughout the match.

Go the Blues!

Great stuff, thanks for this. I’m a long-time admirer of Aussie RL but up until yesterday had only watched the last 2 Grand Finals, last year’s SOO series and a bunch of NRL highlights. But thought I’d get stuck in to my new coverage in earnest and watched 2 (!) games (Bulldogs-Dragons and Broncos-Warriors) last night. Fabulous stuff – basically a different ball game to Super League. The line and ruck speed in particular is phenomenal.

John D’s comments are noted but I do feel my next bit is relevant and something I want to say (and not dwell on). For me it’s not just about the better quality of the Aussie game, it’s more the structure and presentation of the sport over there. As a long-standing Hull KR fan I’d rather stay loyal to SL and keep NRL as a curio but I’m fed up of the hierarchical struggle and small-minded, backward-looking nature of our system and generally prefer franchised sports leagues. I’m definitely all NRL now until such time as we modernise over here, which could be some way off. There – that’s me done with NRL vs SL but I can’t not say that to flesh out the reasoning behind my switch and I do think it’s on topic (especially in the current climate) and something that is generally missed when discussing the direction of our game.

Glad to hear you’re optimistic – I’m rooting for NSW only as a neutral backing the underdog and looking forward to seeing Hayne in particular.

Bring it on!

#37 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I love Origin and never anticipated that Queensland would win 7 in a row, after being there for the first.

The success of Origin is all about NSW. The Queenslanders are crazier for it and would be regardless of how their team wins. As the bigger state with far more clubs and bigger player pool, NSW should win often. I genuinely think that if NSW had won 8 it would have been dropped or interest would be low in NSW.

If NSW win a game they'll have 2 sellouts for their games, something they never did when they used to win the thing. It's become a quest for them now.

#38 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Bad news - It's on Premier.

Just to be fuzzy, at least it means we will see it the same way Australians do. In glorious SD.

#39 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

WARNING RANT: I am gutted this isn't on SkySports this year and I think it's a big loss for Rugby League. Premier Sports has a far fewer number of subscribers and will reach far less viewers. Also in my oppinion Premier Sports coverage is not as good as SkySports and more importantly the channel is not in HD format. Plus you have to pay an extra £10 pcm. This will be the first year that I've missed the series, since being converted to TGG, and I'm not happy.

#40 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just to be fuzzy, at least it means we will see it the same way Australians do. In glorious SD.

If you ask me, HD is very overrated. ;) Of course, it also means we'll get the full Channel 9 build up, as opposed to the Sky team padding out a 15 minute conversation to a 40 minute one so it fills the time til kick off.