Photo
- - - - -

STATE OF ORIGIN I - NSW vs QLD - Wed 5 Jun

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win State of Origin I ? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win State of Origin I ?

1. New South Wales (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Queensland (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Very good performance by NSW - thought Luke Lewis played really well. Not surprised by Queenslands performance. The likes of Cronk, Smith and Slater have looked well off the boil for weeks now when playing for Melbourne. Cronk looked too predictable with his kicking game. I'd put Inglis in at full back for game 2.

I hope that form continues until about March 2014.

#122 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Look out Futtocks, I can see an outbreak of Australian skill and intensity breaking out.

Settle down Steven, no one wants to upset you or trigger your master mind in a debate of wits do they?

Edited by AndyCapp, 05 June 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#123 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Why did you quote me?

Because you mentioned the crowd figure.

Obviously the target of the response was elsewhere.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#124 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

I don't know who Steven is, but I refuse to have a battle of wits with a man who is so clearly unarmed.

Well Franksy you would be far better off being yourself rather than using a very thin veil of another name IMO.
A man with an Ego like yours can not pretend to be another character, your Ego and vanity shines through in pretty well everything you post.
You cannot fail to pick up on any anti Wigan sentiments or let old quarrels die.
How is Leigh going this year? been to may games.

#125 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Because you mentioned the crowd figure.

Obviously the target of the response was elsewhere.

Sorry Ginger, my thoughts were elsewhere.

#126 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

I hope that form continues until about March 2014.

Aye, let's hope so. ;)

#127 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,745 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Stick to discussing THE GAME rather than handbagging each other.

Thank you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#128 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Will Queensland make any changes for the next game?
Thurston looked injured and not 100% this time.
I think there needs to be some changes in the Forwards for Qld.

#129 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Stick to discussing THE GAME rather than handbagging each other.

It's called biff.

It makes the whole spectacle more attractive.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#130 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Seems to me like you are struggling to understand the difference between "intensity & skill", and downright thuggery.

Never mind.

Thuggery is an extension of intensity. Intense games are always filled to the brim with cheap shots and fights, it's the emotion of the big occasion and the very best trying to best the very best, that's been true and will remain true.

Do you even watch rugby league?

#131 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Gents, what a game!

Just back home, completely lost my voice.

How can anyone question the intensity of that game? It was off the richter.

What we saw was a NSW side that just had that extra effort so sorely lacking for the past 7 years. Hayne and Jennings surging efforts to score and absolutely desperate defence, especially on the edges. We finally turned the tables on QLD there.

Hayne, Fifita and Lewis the best 3 players on the field. They were great. Sir Gallen should be cast in bronze for capping off the first half in the most perfect way imaginable. To get put on report was great. He can miss playing for the Sharks and be back for Game II. Classic Origin.

We turned over WAY too much possession and it told towards the end of the game when QLD started to tear us apart a bit. That ###### won't hold up in Brisbane. But if we cut our errors by half, we in it to our eyeballs.

If I were QLD, I'd get Papalii into that side. And seriously consider Inglis at fullback. Don't know what I'd do with Slater who still had a decent game. Inglis was largely contained in the centres.

#132 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

And if England try this tactic against Australia, we will be able to hear the whining in Bradford.

Usual double standards.

If England showed a bit of intensity and mongrel we might win something. As it happens we don't, and so the opposition who do usually end up beating up, and as usual people like you can be found on forums crying that half the opposition teams hould have been red carded.

You see it every time internationals role round, if it's not player x who absolutely should have been red carded it's player y.

English game is too soft and low in intensity in comparison to what the Aussies are doing. No coincidence that we're becoming more competitive as we're getting forwards in the NRL in number, is it.

#133 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed that match and was delighted with the result.

I really thought that Queensland were going to steal it even though they didn't perform very well for the first hour.  The winning mentality and killer instinct which they possess still makes them favourites for the series in my opinion, but I'm hopeful that NSW can back up from today and get the job done.

The scene is set nicely for game 2 :)

#134 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

With a decent completion rate we'd have seen a 20 point victory tonight.

Hoping for a different Queensland side for test 2.

#135 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Gents, what a game!

Just back home, completely lost my voice.

How can anyone question the intensity of that game? It was off the richter.

What we saw was a NSW side that just had that extra effort so sorely lacking for the past 7 years. Hayne and Jennings surging efforts to score and absolutely desperate defence, especially on the edges. We finally turned the tables on QLD there.

Hayne, Fifita and Lewis the best 3 players on the field. They were great. Sir Gallen should be cast in bronze for capping off the first half in the most perfect way imaginable. To get put on report was great. He can miss playing for the Sharks and be back for Game II. Classic Origin.

We turned over WAY too much possession and it told towards the end of the game when QLD started to tear us apart a bit. That ###### won't hold up in Brisbane. But if we cut our errors by half, we in it to our eyeballs.

If I were QLD, I'd get Papalii into that side. And seriously consider Inglis at fullback. Don't know what I'd do with Slater who still had a decent game. Inglis was largely contained in the centres.

I agree with all of that, except the bit about Gallen, I find that hard to condone.  I expect the Tigers are kicking themselves for letting Fifita go so that they could accomodate Blair.  That's looking like it was a pretty big mistake right now.

Edited by MrFussy, 05 June 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#136 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

thats exactly how england need to ambush australia in the world cup

Completely agree spud. The one place England can match or even dominate us is through big, agro forwards. If nate myles plays for Australia, please feel free to bash him again!

#137 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Seems to me like you are struggling to understand the difference between "intensity & skill", and downright thuggery.

Never mind.

And there has been no bigger 'thug' in origin over the last few years than myles. Looks like it finally caught up to him hey!

#138 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

MrFussy, I understand your view on Gallen, but you're talking to a born and bred New South Welshman here. That was great theatre in front of an 80k audience.

#139 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

I would much prefer a few punches thrown than gouging or biting and some of the dirty stuff that is allowed like high shots.

Just to be ignorant, I never knew that it was an either/or option or that high shots had been make legal.

There is a big difference between players pushing and shoving that escalates where emotion takes over, and someone standing in front of a player for a moment with time to think and then from nothing makes a strike to the head to a player not expecting it.

I would agree that even in the majority of cases when pushing and shoving escalates it relieves tension and the right thing to do is tell the players to calm down and get on with the game. Deliberately looking for and starting a fight however is never justifiable, it is outright thuggery not heat of the moment emotion. And choosing not to doing anything about it is cowardice.

If people want to watch boxing or MMA then go and watch boxing or MMA.

#140 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Myles twisted Gallens injured knee. He clearly squared up to Gallen. Gallen was left with no option but to think if I don't hit him first, he'll hit me.

To suggest there was no provocation and Myles wasn't expecting anything could eventuate from their standoff is simply wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users