Photo
- - - - -

STATE OF ORIGIN I - NSW vs QLD - Wed 5 Jun

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win State of Origin I ? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win State of Origin I ?

1. New South Wales (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Queensland (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,380 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Just to be ignorant, I never knew that it was an either/or option or that high shots had been make legal.

There is a big difference between players pushing and shoving that escalates where emotion takes over, and someone standing in front of a player for a moment with time to think and then from nothing makes a strike to the head to a player not expecting it.

I would agree that even in the majority of cases when pushing and shoving escalates it relieves tension and the right thing to do is tell the players to calm down and get on with the game. Deliberately looking for and starting a fight however is never justifiable, it is outright thuggery not heat of the moment emotion. And choosing not to doing anything about it is cowardice.

If people want to watch boxing or MMA then go and watch boxing or MMA.

A +1 for every line.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#142 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Myles twisted Gallens injured knee. He clearly squared up to Gallen. Gallen was left with no option but to think if I don't hit him first, he'll hit me.

To suggest there was no provocation and Myles wasn't expecting anything could eventuate from their standoff is simply wrong.

Hang on Gallen came in third man with a swinging arm to Myles face there was then some messing on the floor and when they stood there was a slight push from Myles then Gallen started throwing punches. Sending off all day long AK as he used to do in SL bottling big decisions. If it was reversed and Myles had come in with the swinging arm and then Gallen had got up and started punching I'd agree a penalty either way and aword would be fine.

#143 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hang on Gallen came in third man with a swinging arm to Myles face there was then some messing on the floor and when they stood there was a slight push from Myles then Gallen started throwing punches. Sending off all day long AK as he used to do in SL bottling big decisions. If it was reversed and Myles had come in with the swinging arm and then Gallen had got up and started punching I'd agree a penalty either way and aword would be fine.

This

#144 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

MrFussy, I understand your view on Gallen, but you're talking to a born and bred New South Welshman here. That was great theatre in front of an 80k audience.

I think my main issue with it was that Myles didn't retaliate after the first punch yet Gallen still proceeded to hit him several more times.  If both players had gone at it then I'd think little of it but in this case it was all one sided wasn't it?  I appreciate that it's nothing that we haven't seen before in Origin, and that Queensland have had their fair share of enforcers in recent history .  It's just uncomfortable watching someone get attacked like that.

I don't doubt that Myles did something to aggravate the NSW forwards, and I can see why Gallen did it and accept the reason that he gave after the match.  Sometimes you have to send a warning shot to the opposition, but I'd much rather it came in the form of a few legal big hits.  

Anyway congratulations on your win :) it's about time that you enjoyed some Origin success.

#145 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,357 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

The intensity and skill is what makes it the best in the league. It's the same reason why SL trumps a bunch of amateurs playing up the local park.

That was the game of the year so far. I'm English. State of Origin is rugby leagues biggest and best competition, the only people disputing that are bitter internationalists who don't like the fact origin gets the coverage and respect they think internationals deserve.

Go the Blues!

I think you will find that these 'bitter internationalists' (?) are just people who want the international game to be the pinnacle of the sport. As does any sane RL fan. But it isn't either/or, I love Origin....I love Pennine League Div 5....why the need for such attitudes is beyond me.

Otherwise you might as well follow Vic Rules.

#146 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I thought Gallen was the agressor from start to finish and the head shots were unprovoked. In legal terms,the first flare up was over and he had time to think about what he was going to do ( premeditation) and he should have been sent off. How four officials and the video ref can't deduce that is beyond me.

I hope if we have to put up with Aussie officials refereeing their own country in the World cup that they do a better job or else England will suffer from outrageous decisions similar to this, especially seeing as how Gallen is likely to be playing in his usual abrasive style for Australia.

#147 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Franksy, Gallen actually doesn't get into fights very often, so no, you don't even have that to gainsay my point. It's simply undeniable reality that most unorganised fights (in footy or elsewhere - in public, etc.) start because the first to swing is thinking they need to hit first or be the first to get hit.

You won't see me whinging on here if any English forward smashes any of ours. That's just what can happen in big games. Thing is, you lot aren't even QLDers, from whom I could understand whinging. I'm just glad yours isn't the prevailing reaction here, as Origin wouldn't the success it is today if it was after one, shirt incident during a good, hard and passionate game.

You profess not to be interested in Origin or any of the Australian game anyway. Why were you watching? Apart from the opportunity to huff, puff and grumble in your seat :lol:

MrFussy, somehow, I don't think the lack of retaliation from Myles was anything to do with not wanting to. He copped it fast. If Gal can land them like that, he's not going to give up that advantage just so he can cop it too. Bad luck, Myles.

NSW just told QLD they're not copping it any more. It's exciting. Roll on, Game II!

EDIT: Oh, and even though I'm afraid of what he can do, if QLD want to ruffle Gallen's feathers, they could do worse than to send Papalii after him. As a Raiders fan, I've certainly seen that work in a big game before, to much laughter for me on that occasion. An U20s eligible player bullying Paul Gallen. Was great.

Edited by CGD, 05 June 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#148 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Franksy, Gallen actually doesn't get into fights very often, so no, you don't even have that to gainsay my point. It's simply undeniable reality that most unorganised fights (in footy or elsewhere - in public, etc.) start because the first to swing is thinking they need to hit first or be the first to get hit.

You won't see me whinging on here if any English forward smashes any of ours. That's just what can happen in big games. Thing is, you lot aren't even QLDers, from whom I could understand whinging. I'm just glad yours isn't the prevailing reaction here, as Origin wouldn't the success it is today if it was after one, shirt incident during a good, hard and passionate game.

You profess not to be interested in Origin or any of the Australian game anyway. Why were you watching? Apart from the opportunity to huff, puff and grumble in your seat :lol:

MrFussy, somehow, I don't think the lack of retaliation from Myles was anything to do with not wanting to. He copped it fast. If Gal can land them like that, he's not going to give up that advantage just so he can cop it too. Bad luck, Myles.

NSW just told QLD they're not copping it any more. It's exciting. Roll on, Game II!

EDIT: Oh, and even though I'm afraid of what he can do, if QLD want to ruffle Gallen's feathers, they could do worse than to send Papalii after him. As a Raiders fan, I've certainly seen that work in a big game before, to much laughter for me on that occasion. An U20s eligible player bullying Paul Gallen. Was great.

You must be proud of Blake Fergusson, I thought he had an excellent debut.  They kept targeting him but he didn't crack. 

#149 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Just to be ignorant, I never knew that it was an either/or option or that high shots had been make legal.

There is a big difference between players pushing and shoving that escalates where emotion takes over, and someone standing in front of a player for a moment with time to think and then from nothing makes a strike to the head to a player not expecting it.

I would agree that even in the majority of cases when pushing and shoving escalates it relieves tension and the right thing to do is tell the players to calm down and get on with the game. Deliberately looking for and starting a fight however is never justifiable, it is outright thuggery not heat of the moment emotion. And choosing not to doing anything about it is cowardice.

spot on.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#150 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

MrFussy, yep, Fergo did well. After that knock on on his first touch, he could've had a 'mare. He was clearly targeted with the high ball and he was flawless in taking them. Ran over 100m and his size was clearly a threat to QLD when Inglis tried to get on top of him in defence and gave a penalty away.

I watched what Fergo did in defence closely and he looked quite uncomfortable defending wing instead of centre where he is super confident and effective. He wasn't shown up by any means but if I were QLD, I'd look at video of that. Centre is by far his best position.

#151 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Great to see a NSW WIN and as for the BIFF SL NEEDS TO HAVE SOME BLOODY BIFF its like a game of touch compared to this with refs giving yellows and reds left right and centre BRING BACK THE BIFF AND BRING BACK THE FANS

ITS SIMPLE:)

CM

Don't often agree with you but spot on. Think a sin binning is sufficient for a punch up. A red every time means that very few punch ups happen now and this is clearly a big appeal to the casual fan.

I do also see the other side of the argument that it may put people off playing, but do you really think this is the case? You have to be a certain kind of person to play RL anyway, would the risk of being punched put you off any more than being hit with a high shot?

#152 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I think my main issue with it was that Myles didn't retaliate after the first punch yet Gallen still proceeded to hit him several more times.  If both players had gone at it then I'd think little of it but in this case it was all one sided wasn't it?  I appreciate that it's nothing that we haven't seen before in Origin, and that Queensland have had their fair share of enforcers in recent history .  It's just uncomfortable watching someone get attacked like that.

That's very similar to my thoughts on it while watching it on record last night.

First punch fair enough, penalty maroons no more needs to be done.  It was the second and third punch after absolutely no sign of retaliation from Myles which made me think it he should have gone.  If it had been a bit of handbaggy punching between the two then keep all 13 on, if Myles and Gallen had been giving each other a bit of a proper punching then give them both 10 to cool off.  However as it happened he threw a punch got nothing back so threw a couple more big ones.  No need for those later ones so it then stops being "a bit of biff" and becomes proper "violent conduct" so red.  I know discussing union is frowned upon to talk about union but there was an analogous incident in the Lions v BaaBaas match, Schalk Brits through a few punches at (his club team-mate) Owen Farrell, the ref then said he was going to the bin only "because of the nature of the game" which was pretty much a warm up friendly in an expansion area.

Also did anyone over hear a lot of players asking the ref to "give him 10" during the game (I suppose I could have misheard and it may have been "get them 10" after the penalty but it was generally after red zone offences).

#153 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

I think you will find that these 'bitter internationalists' (?) are just people who want the international game to be the pinnacle of the sport. As does any sane RL fan. But it isn't either/or, I love Origin....I love Pennine League Div 5....why the need for such attitudes is beyond me.

But internationals will never be the pinnacle of the sport when we have 1 league (NRL) that is modern, cash-rich and progressive and 1 league (Super League) that is cash-poor, populated by tiny teams and played under a creaking 19th Century format. Face facts, SOO is the world's greatest rugby league showcase and the pinnacle of the game. The way the outside backs plucked balls from difficult airborne situations yesterday like it was picking daisies was staggering. NSW's 5 (Ferguson?) in particular. Simply a different standard to the RL I've grown up with. I'm not bitter about this. What's the point? Embrace it and hope that our game eventually wakes up. This is what RL can be worldwide with some bold, ambitious thinking.

I agree with most of CGD's analysis. My man Lewis came up big. Gallen was naughty but in his (slight) defence it was 2 punches from a standing start rather than wading in with haymakers. Should have gone but hey, it's Origin! Let them scrap! I'm joking slightly but I understand the gravity of sending off the NSW skipper before HT in front of 80K rabid Sydney-ites so wasn't that surprised. I'd be worried about Game 2 if I were him and hopefully what goes around comes around a little bit.

Got Game 2 day off work so will be watching live for the first time. Bring it on!

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 06 June 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#154 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

This thing about too many punches, have you looked at a replay at normal speed? You can't watch it and say Myles didn't retaliate after the first punch as if that should be reason for Gallen not to give the second. They happened in about half a second of eachother. And even if they didn't, using what kind of logic does Gallen wait for Myles to hit him back? That's a mind boggling argument.

If Gallen wasn't a handy boxer and was less effective in the fight, I'm convinced the amount of disapproval from observers would be cut by at least 50%. Which is bunk.

#155 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Because there's a difference between people like you, who seem to appreciate both, and people who hate and spite origin because they're envious of its position as the spectacle of rugby league.

I watch every international league game I can get my hands on, whether it's England - NZ or Samoa -Tonga, but I can apprecaite the spectacle and sheer awesomeness of State of Origin, it's rugby league as a sport at its highest and best level.

The people vocal in their dismissal of it have a fairly clear agenda.

And on a side I have to co-sign peoples assesment of Ferguson. Given the immense pressure he was under he did really well, especially under the high ball;

#156 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

NSW looked significantly better than Queensland for the first time in several years (last year, despite the Queensland victory, it was debatable which side was 'better').

Lewis was incredible for NSW and numerous others were very good. Conversely, most of Queensland's 'match-winners' were well below par.

Obviously/presumably, Queensland aren't going to make huge changes for game two but I think they should drop Shillington. For consistency, they'd need to bring Papalli into the 17. Myles could start at prop with Te'o or Gillett in the back row, Papalli on the bench. Alternatively, if he's recovered from his injury, they could draft the more experienced Hannant straight into the front row.

As a Queensland fan, I'm quite worried about game two. I might have to take back my "8 in a row" statement.

Edited by faz'_nose, 06 June 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#157 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

Shillo was poor but they won't drop him. Hannant will definitely come back in, probably for McQueen. Papalii should replace Gillet, but we'll see what they do.

Farah could be out after suffering broken nose and cheekbone. I don't think we can beat QLD in QLD without him.

#158 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

Shillo was poor but they won't drop him. Hannant will definitely come back in, probably for McQueen. Papalii should replace Gillet, but we'll see what they do.
Farah could be out after suffering broken nose and cheekbone. I don't think we can beat QLD in QLD without him.

There are certainly a few interesting decisions for Meninga to make with his forwards. I thought that Gillett was 'OK' but, yeah, Papalli would offer some more grunt. Shillington obviously has size and experience so, like you said, we'll see.

The potential absence of Farah, as you point out, would be an enormous loss.

#159 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
I have already said that Gallen is a thug.
If you knew the game better in Australia your opinion would carry more value, the fact is what happens "down under" does not always translate to your interpretation of the situation.
There is more involved than your shallow reading of the situation.

Look at the media in Oz and its 50/50 in where it should be, even Myles laughed it off and said it was a beat up.
He should have got 10 minutes, move on.

#160 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Lions tour just a side show to State Of Origin from the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph...gby-league.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users