Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Big body blow for us

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Always rowing uphill a bit there but when we got infront I thought we'd push on and win . That was without doubt the weakest refereeing performance I've seen in a long time . Just utterly gutted .

#2 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Not the old poor ref again !

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Did you see him . That's not an excuse he was simply awful

#4 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

No , was he poor for both sides ?

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

yeah the ref was bad but not as bad as town. very poor performance, them missed conversions have beat us on the scoreboard but a lackluster effort have killed us on the pitch. we usually only play for 40 minutes but today it was only 10. right back in the relegation battle when we should have been putting daylight between us.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Quite frankly I read this forum sometimes and think we must be in the top 3 given how some people talk our team and players up. Fact is we are an average team at this level and are very exposed against teams who move the ball quickly. Our 3/4's, apart from Elliot, are pretty weak and more than halfway through the season we still haven't got a settled half back pairing. Also, Donny keep beating us but we never change our style of play against them - I'd have thought if a team keeps beating you when you play in a certain way then you'd look to change game plans but obviously not.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

We were just always struggling to gain any ascendancy . They hardly made an error so we had nothing easy to feed off , and we looked so disjointed - throwing it into touch , obstructions etc. Missed conversions ok , and again not taking two right in front. Some awful goaline defence there to . We do really struggle to see out a game and I'm always wondering who's taking control out there because its headless chickens stuff . Easy to see where their control was...If we get outmuscled like today we have very little to fall back on .

Edited by DavidM, 26 May 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#8 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

We can't blame conversions or the ref - they were just better- on one note I hope Declan Hume makes a quick recovery - he's the best DR we have had to date -personally wouldn't bother with Lawton again .

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

what baffled me was the amount of time we gave cooke, surely by now we know how he can control a game when you let him. and his 2 tries were shocking from our point of view, just falling off him.

#10 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

big pressure on thursday, we needed to be taking 4 points minimum from donny and keighley. i just dont fancy us on that performance.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

You'd think he had spiders on him . So easy , he really fancied it today . They just did what we want to see , no errors , good muscle , good defence and something behind the scrum . They did the basics we never can . And why can we never get a kicked or loose ball ?? We can't catch attacking bombs , can't catch defensive bombs , can't secure a bouncing or loose ball and can't pick a ball up off the floor ... They were on last tackle in their own half with a minute left and next thing they have a scrum on the line . Writing was on the wall then , Waterman is a beast . Oh for a back like that. Far to one dimensional , when we don't batter the door down what then ????

Edited by DavidM, 26 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I couldn't believe how poor we were today.   We looked stale and going through the motions.    Some of our tackling was schoolboy stuff and when some of the players see their efforts on the DVD they should be embarrassed.     In the first half we continued to try and batter our way up the field when we had a strong wind in our favour and not once did we try for a 40/20.      Who is in charge on the field?      

We have become too stereotype in our play and other coaches have got us sussed out.    We knew that the ref wasn't going to be very good as Haven fans told us of his performance when they played the Skolars away.   That said although Doncaster were never 10 metres back at any play the ball we never tried anything different other than try and batter our way through them.    No little kick over them and the twice we moved the ball and supported the play we scored.

We need to have a Plan B or Plan C but on today's performance we only have a Plan A batter, batter batter.

Edited by Keith T, 26 May 2013 - 04:14 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

poor performance against a team there for the taking. can someone tell me what our kickers do in training?? due to our awful kicking game we have to drive the hard yards to get field position but then run out of tackles!! ref gave us no 50/50's but we are use to that. 3pts threw away

Edited by town4me, 26 May 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Kicking game is a great point ... They're a huge team not noted for great stamina . Turn them round , get them running out from their own end . Where were the long kicks and turning them round ? Play them at their end , work on their petrol levels . We never got them on the back foot .Where were the 40/20s ? Where were the chips and dinks , Eliott n Calders must be getting right peed off ... And have all our kickers got wonky feet because everyone had a go a kicking into touch and they all went backwards . Remember last years game ... Playing it fast off quick rucks and hitting them in numbers . None of that . Slow rucks , slow game and it suited them fine . You can blame Cobb for that , the play the balls were painful .

Edited by DavidM, 26 May 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

what is with that shocking run around we do, cost us a try against hunslet and threw away good field position today. its supposed to be a good fast movement.what we do is slow and useless

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Slow and predictable wonky in our passing to the flanks .. If the ball receiver isn't totally smashed ,he has no room to do anything or its an interception waiting to happen . Just gutted, we have to win these games as we've lots of shocking fixtures left . Lost ground bigstyle today .

#17 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Kicking game is a great point ... They're a huge team not noted for great stamina . Turn them round , get them running out from their own end . Where were the long kicks and turning them round ? Where were the 40/20s ? Where were the chips and dinks , Eliott n Calders must be getting right peed off ... And have all our kickers got wonky feet because everyone had a go a kicking into touch and they all went backwards .

exactly David. they didn't have great go forward so all we had to do was pin them back with kicks and tackle them. even in the first half with the wind behind us all the kicking came from cooke coz he is clever with with ball in hand unlike our ex SL players. its frustrating as we have beaten better than donny at DP.

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

As fans we can see the kind of errors we are making so why can't the coaches?    It can't be coincidence that the same players make similar errors week after week, can it?     How many times have we said about a lack of speed in our passing moves, or poor support play when someone makes a break, or our poor kicking game?      I think a lot of it come down to who is in charge on the field and who makes the decisions on the next play.   We have several experienced players and you would think that between them they could come up with some different plays when one type of play isn't coming off.   It's not rocket science surely!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

We are a ponderous team in many respects, no real pace in key positions. Not just physical pace but speed of thought too. Look at Cooke today, he's as slow as a box mangle but he thinks quicker than everyone else and adapts to what he sees. We are missing that rugby brain in our team, someone who controls things and makes the right choices time after time. We have lots of willing workhorses but lack that bit of nous and creativity that makes the difference in tight games.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Couldn't believe Cookes' tries . The ice age came and went faster than he moves and twice he strolled over . The first one he catches the ball at head height with Walne grabbing him , next thing 5 guys are on the deck and he's under the sticks with a cigar in .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users