RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle RLFC 1936-38.

Memories Programmes Photos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ResearchBloke

ResearchBloke
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Newcastle RLFC 1936/7 and 1937/8

I'm gathering information on a defunct Rugby League club which was based in Newcastle-on-Tyne, and then County Durham, from 1936 until 1938.

I'm interested in press cuttings, photos, match programmes, the lot. Might anyone be able to help?

The jackpot/long shot, of course, would be to speak to someone who saw Newcastle RLFC play. (Better still, someone who played for them.) But, yeah, it's a bit late in the day, isn't it?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ResearchBloke, 26 May 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Featherstone rovers were close to moving to Newcastle during that period

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

There's some footage of them on the Pathe news reels somewhere.

#4 Mk13

Mk13
  • Coach
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

The fully researched story is available here

http://www.lulu.com/...t-17451958.html

The paperback is over £10 I think but just £2.50 as a PDF download. I know John and he put a lot of work into this, going through local newspaper archives in Newcastle.

#5 ResearchBloke

ResearchBloke
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

The fully researched story is available here

http://www.lulu.com/...t-17451958.html

The paperback is over £10 I think but just £2.50 as a PDF download. I know John and he put a lot of work into this, going through local newspaper archives in Newcastle.

Thanks for that - I've already been in touch with John. I just want to see what people have in the way of programmes or other memorabilia. Plus, if I can interview someone who was around all those years ago, that would be great.

Cheers.  

Edited by ResearchBloke, 27 May 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#6 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Try writing to the Newcastle local rag, you never know
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Memories, Programmes, Photos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users