TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

C1 attendances (?)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

The attendances posted on the All Golds thread

489 at the Biffs

203 at the All Golds

122 at Hemel

409 at the Skolars

should be sending alarm bells into high octave at the RFL, or perhaps they wish the division to fizzle out or become another Conference?

Clubs cannot be sustained on the meagre income from this level of support for and for how long can the supplementary revenue streams be sustained without a marketable product? If any clubs are relegated to the current C1 set up, they will come down from a position of better strength/finance and those remaining from the current league will find it difficult to compete.  And on it will go, but not for long.

I believe there is some talk of restructuring SL with some effect on the Championship Clubs, but is anything known/agreed of how C1 will be affected?

For certain, there needs to be meaningful competition/promotion/relegation to improve the product with proper marketing/sponsorship.  Hopefully then attendances will improve.

Perhaps the RFL should make a start by presenting publicly, whatever plans they have for all Championship levels to the clubs' representatives and address questions raised on their viability?

Doing nothing will result in nothing.

#2 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think everything you have written is prophetic glemiln.

For far too long now the RFL have been uninterested in the game outside Super League to the end of making the Championship 1 virtually an amateur competition.  I can't see anything changing in the future, near or far and the like of Tony Smith arguing against the mooted structure is only to get more for the SL clubs and not any interest in anyone outside SL.

I look forward to being proved wrong on this matter but doubt it very much.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#3 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Its sad to see the dire state of attendances, for both Hornets and Oldham, from what they used to be from years ago. And indeed for other clubs in the RL.
I have supported Hornets for over 40 years, but sadly haven't been for a few years now. I suppose there are a number of people in my position who are getting on a bit and cant make it up to Spotland.

One of the other reasons I don't go anymore is, I don't like the way the game has gone. The scrums for instance, I don't watch super league much nowadays, but watching the end of one game the commentator said about one scrum, they will have to push now. Good god its a bl**dy scrum they are supposed to push. It would help if the ball went into the tunnel and not to the loose forward. Its not hard is it to get the ball in the tunnel. Then to ban the shoulder charge, I can understand having to look after the player safety, but how many players got hurt from a shoulder charge.

I know you cant bring the old days back, But in them days it seemed like proper rugby.
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#4 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think everything you have written is prophetic glemiln.

For far too long now the RFL have been uninterested in the game outside Super League to the end of making the Championship 1 virtually an amateur competition.  I can't see anything changing in the future, near or far and the like of Tony Smith arguing against the mooted structure is only to get more for the SL clubs and not any interest in anyone outside SL.

I look forward to being proved wrong on this matter but doubt it very much.

Pugwash.

There's no doubt it's a sad state of affairs but I fail to see how it's the lack of interest by the RFL that's the problem. At the end of the day the RFL grant a licence to each club to play in their competition and ultimately it's each clubs responsibility to run their business and their club effectively..... Including doing what they can to improve attendances.

You can't expect the RFL to take respnsibility when it's the clubs who market themselves (or not), set ticket prices, determine how much they invest in their product (the players) and make decisions which massively effect the size of the gate.

I think there is argument to say that new clubs receive some support as they may not have the core audience or expertise in house to tackle it - but in my opinion if you're an established club (and I include Cru, Gateshead, Scorps not just Oldham and Rochdale) you should know what you're doing and if we're losing fans we should be looking at ourselves not the RFL.

#5 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Sorry Always Cru but I think that has to be the most wide of the mark comment I have seen for a long time.  I only went to two Oldham fixtures last season and one of those was because I happened to be nearby in S. Wales when we played the Scorpions and it was just interesting to go see the setup.  The clubs are losing fans because the league structure is pathetic.  No regular home and away fixtures on a weekly basis.  The standard at Championship 1 is not exactly exhilarating.  Low crowds, no atmosphere as a result.  No automatic promotion and relegation to SL is just wrong.  Just look at the publicity for Crystal Palace today.  So what if they only last one season?  The RFL is only really interested in SL  If you aren't in an expansion area they want to see clubs become feeder clubs for the favoured few.

Ah well; rant over; and I may just go along to watch a match this season but tbh can find better things to do most weekends.  So that  is me and three of my kids now off the scene as regular customers.

#6 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

I can only agree. The longer a pathway to the top is closed, the continued slump in everything championship level will continue.
With fixtures all over the place, clubs unable to market themselves due to cost & a lack of expertise. I am afraid the current state will likely get worse. In my opinion the bulk of the buck stops with the RFL. Who to echo everyone else's comments, are not really that interested in anything other than Super League.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#7 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

489 at the Biffs

203 at the All Golds

122 at Hemel

409 at the Skolars

should be sending alarm bells into high octave at the RFL, or perhaps they wish the division to fizzle out or become another Conference?

Clubs cannot be sustained on the meagre income from this level of support for and for how long can the supplementary revenue streams be sustained without a marketable product? If any clubs are relegated to the current C1 set up, they will come down from a position of better strength/finance and those remaining from the current league will find it difficult to compete.  And on it will go, but not for long.

I believe there is some talk of restructuring SL with some effect on the Championship Clubs, but is anything known/agreed of how C1 will be affected?

For certain, there needs to be meaningful competition/promotion/relegation to improve the product with proper marketing/sponsorship.  Hopefully then attendances will improve.

Perhaps the RFL should make a start by presenting publicly, whatever plans they have for all Championship levels to the clubs' representatives and address questions raised on their viability?

Lets be straight here.

C1 consists of 9 clubs, with numerous free weekends throught the season where non of us have a game for one reason or another.

Question.....

Why oh why did we have a full round of fixtures on Millenium Magic weekend??? Surely this had an effect on attendances in C1, which would please the RL no end.

#8 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I totally agree with AlwaysCru, it is the clubs that come up with various ideas and take it to the vote, the RFL merely administer what has been agreed.

It is up to each individual club to market, administer and oversee their respective clubs.

Unfortunately many well meaning directors etc have very limited experience of managing an organisation and as such things can go badly wrong particularly as they, just like the players, have paid careers outside the game.

Another important point is that clubs vote for their clubs own interests before the interests of the game in general.

I am curious about the decision to hold a full programme of championship games on the magic weekend, thats just crazy with so many other free weekends available?

Finally before we bother about a pathway to the superleague our club has at least one pathway readily available but for the past few season have still to get there ;)

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#9 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Sorry Always Cru but I think that has to be the most wide of the mark comment I have seen for a long time.  I only went to two Oldham fixtures last season and one of those was because I happened to be nearby in S. Wales when we played the Scorpions and it was just interesting to go see the setup.  The clubs are losing fans because the league structure is pathetic.  No regular home and away fixtures on a weekly basis.  The standard at Championship 1 is not exactly exhilarating.  Low crowds, no atmosphere as a result.  No automatic promotion and relegation to SL is just wrong.  Just look at the publicity for Crystal Palace today.  So what if they only last one season?  The RFL is only really interested in SL  If you aren't in an expansion area they want to see clubs become feeder clubs for the favoured few.

Ah well; rant over; and I may just go along to watch a match this season but tbh can find better things to do most weekends.  So that  is me and three of my kids now off the scene as regular customers.

I've not got the energy to go and check to be 100% accurate but I'm pretty certain that a team took the field in Roughyeds colours about 26 times last season if you include a couple of friendlies - and you attended two.

Listen, everyone has clear right to make their own choices and go and do their own thing, but how on earth do you expect things to improve, on the pitch or otherwise, if people can't be bothered to stick a tenner in the till and support the club!

It isn't the responsibility of the RFL to get Oldham playing to a certain standard good enough that you can bring yourself to watch it, it's the responsibility of fans to back the team through thick and thin to develop for the future..... The example of FC United and Chester City getting gates of 4,000 in 3rd tier non league football being case in point.

I think forums are a great thing, particularly Total RL - but what winds me up are people who run the game down..... Without actually attending games. If you pay your money to watch your team, you have fair right to say they were ######, the manager needs to be sacked and the Board need shooting - but if you choose to no longer be a supporter then just go off and do something else.

Your post Steve the Roughyed says you've got better things to do most weekends, so find something better to do most week nights and leave RL forums alone! It may not 'be like it used to be' but how will RL be improved by people who no longer want to watch the game chipping in about how ###### it is help?

If you've moved on from Oldham and RL then move on, move on completely, leave the forums alone.... don't sit in the shadows trying to kick the animal if you can't do anything positive to help or support the game.

#10 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

Wow Always Cru.  That is somewhat vitriolic.  I assume from the name Always Cru that you have a long pedigree of supporting the randomly located Crusaders in all of their different guises for at least 5 years.  The club that moves base and shows scant regard for any loyalty to supporters in South Wales who supported them whilst they had the rules on overseas players bent in their favour.  You are completely missing the points I made.  There is no regular home and away pattern to the season which has too few games and too many blank weekends so people get in to other habits..  You also miss the point that although I have only watched a couple of games last year I have watched home and away for 40 years prior to that and will go along again this season at some point but as yet there hasn't really been an attractive fixture that I could attend.  

I haven't moved on from Oldham or RL.  RL has moved away from Oldham and similar clubs and long term supporters like me hence the massive decline in attendances outside SL.  You also say I no longer want to watch the game.  I do but there is no real point as there is no real success to be achieved.  The examples you give of Chester City and FC United serve to back me up 100%.  They both have the opportunity to achieve promotion and it is theoretically possible for either to reach the Premier League in football.  Both of those teams had 21 home matches so even if you are away for 5 or 6 you can still see a lot of football. Also it may just have slipped your mind but 4000 is around 3 and a half times the COMBINED attendance for the Championship 1 games this weekend so you are really emphasising the perilous state RL is in outside SL.  This season Oldham has 8 home league fixtures.  Two of them I can't get to because of holiday.  Where exactly is the attraction of just 6 matches?  The league structure is pathetic and that is why the crowds are so dismal. The best we can aspire to now is Championship and crowds there are also not great with a couple of exceptions.

Combine that with the fact that only two teams NWC and Rochdale are likely to bring more than a handful of supporters (if that) so no atmosphere at matches therefore the product is not exactly marketable no matter how hard Oldham or any other club at this level tries.

Finally, although I no longer watch as much as I used to, I am not sure why i should have no opinion on the game or the club I still support by paying my lottery money by standing order every month.  There is no way I intend to kick the animal I have fed for so long.  I just don't like the way you seem to be happy to accept its slow and cruel death without realising it is happening.

#11 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Spot on Steve, couldn't of put it better myself.

The RFL/SL are only interested in SL clubs and any other club that isn't in Yorkshire or Lancashire. Expansion doesn't work if you force it open others, it has to be nutured and not fastracked. NWC are prime example of that. A failed, cheating attempt of being a SL club in South Wales didn't generate the interest, so they moved closer to the heartlands in Wrexham, and again, lack of interest in the locality meant the demise of the club.

And they did cheat, Non Visas etc etc, as did Barrow , spending more than they generated.

Edited by oldhamer, 29 May 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#12 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

489 at the Biffs

203 at the All Golds

122 at Hemel

409 at the Skolars

in my opinion all the clubs below super league have no one to blame but themselves they allollowed themselves to be suckered into what the RFL told them out the outset ceos and chairmen ,and board members signed up to the deal on offer,2 people i spoke to at rochdale the late mr taylor and the late mr reynolds forcast all this and both declined the RFL offer but were out voted by other clubs ,now they are struggling with attendances, all i can say is , u made ur bed , now lie on it.

#13 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

489 at the Biffs

203 at the All Golds

122 at Hemel

409 at the Skolars

if they did ,and they wont they would lie through thier back teeth  ,just look at thier track record, they never concrete the post down ,because if things get to close to the bone, they simply move the goal post to suit themselves , now tell me im wrong,i have in the past said and ill say it again if u dont make a stand against the RFL and SUPER LEAGUE  im sorry it will be curtains for all clubs below super league ,REBEL NOW and kill or be killed ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users