- - - - -

Millenium Magic

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 higgy

higgy
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Surely the Rugby League have got to recognise that something is amiss with our game after two days and seven games of Super Dooper league rugby they have only managed crowds of 60,000 an average of 8500 per match.

Something is drastically wrong in the heartland of Rugby, City and United would have filled this ground 4 times over on two days.

What a mess the games in.

#2 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Sadly have to agree.Rugby league gives so much locally and is one of the last bastions of family entertainment. It stands for what is good in society, hard work, team ethos,open to all irrespective of sex or religion. At these trying times it's sad that this loved sport seems to lack direction. I'm not criticising the current executive as they are doing what they think is best with what little they have, and whilst we may have ideas for improvement unless money is there it's just a pipe dream. A commited sugar daddy I think is needed. 

One for all and all for the one

#3 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I have said it countless times, RL has a finite number of fans from SL to Championship 1 at around 70k. Nothing will change or help increase this figure until they alter the structure of the game from Championship 1 upwards, not SL downwards. Giving discounted group tickets do not work, as it's very rarely these people carry on watching the sport as a paying fan, or they are snapped up by people who would normally pay to go and watch. 

#4 herbie

herbie
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I went to magic weekend with a group of young lads from Waterhead junior teams. They absolutely loved it. Fantastic event in my opinion well done to the RFL.

#5 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Surely the Rugby League have got to recognise that something is amiss with our game after two days and seven games of Super Dooper league rugby they have only managed crowds of 60,000 an average of 8500 per match.

Something is drastically wrong in the heartland of Rugby, City and United would have filled this ground 4 times over on two days.

What a mess the games in.

You think that figure is bad?

I have insider knowledge and trust me, the true figure was around 45,000. Around 22k on Saturday and 23k Sunday. City were instructed to give it as over 60 to make the game look good.

I remember watching the Aussies batter us at Old Trafford infront of a near capacity(as it was then) 55,000 in the early 80's. All these people who claim more folk are watching RL now are talking out of their hats. A grand total of 45, 000 for all 14 SL teams, barely 3,000 on average....The game is on its a$$. 

#6 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Well said herbie i was there both days we saw the waterhead lads we gave the lads a good clap as they passed us. I think magic is great concept and any1 that went thinks its a good venture and it works for me ill be going again next year

#7 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

You think that figure is bad?

I have insider knowledge and trust me, the true figure was around 45,000. Around 22k on Saturday and 23k Sunday. City were instructed to give it as over 60 to make the game look good.

I remember watching the Aussies batter us at Old Trafford infront of a near capacity(as it was then) 55,000 in the early 80's. All these people who claim more folk are watching RL now are talking out of their hats. A grand total of 45, 000 for all 14 SL teams, barely 3,000 on average....The game is on its a$$.

The PA announcer at the Etihad is employed by the RFL, and not Man City. Why is it in the interest of Man city to bump the figures up ? Most SL clubs by Friday had sold all their allocation of tickets for the lower tier. I was there Sunday, and I think the crowd figures were representative of the figures given.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

The PA announcer at the Etihad is employed by the RFL, and not Man City. Why is it in the interest of Man city to bump the figures up ? Most SL clubs by Friday had sold all their allocation of tickets for the lower tier. I was there Sunday, and I think the crowd figures were representative of the figures given.

Its not in City's interests at all. They just did what they were told and massaged the figures.

My source is spot on. You don't have to believe me but I know its fact. Little more than 45,000 attended over the two days.

#9 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

IF the RFL cannot sell or come near to selling out a stadium like the Etihad on both days with 7 matches being played that weekend, something is no right within our game. Like the RLWC games at Wembley, a 1/2 empty stadium looks absolutely poor from a marketing and television perspective. Remember, pictures do not tell you how many are there, but pictures with masses of empty seats do not do the sport any good whatsoever or sells the sport to perspective sponsors etc.

Pre SL, the Challenge Cup final was always a sell out as was the Premiership Final Double Header. Matches against the Aussies always played in front of full houses, we cannot fill the DW for an England V Australia game anymore. People were interested in our sport back then, but poor decision making by the RFL and SL have led to peoples interest diminishing.

Look at this for a poor decision. The RFL are looking at changing how the junior game is played pre 10 year olds. Its absolutely madness what they are proposing and will effect kill kids taking up the sport - and having exensive experience in this field, I am not on my own in thinking this. So what do the RFL do, have an open meeting with all junior coaches in Manchester at the Velodrome on Sunday of the Magic Weekend at 12.30. Absolutely brilliant...... All these kids were playing rugby that morning for their clubs and with 10.30 klck offs for most, how many would of attended that event.......Madness. The same way the RFL and SL have messed up the player pathways for junior talent, service areas etc etc so that they can use the money saved to fund half baked australians and kiwis plying their trade over here. The game has gone beyond a joke, its not funny anymore.

Edited by oldhamer, 28 May 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#10 higgy

higgy
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I went to magic weekend with a group of young lads from Waterhead junior teams. They absolutely loved it. Fantastic event in my opinion well done to the RFL.

Don't get me wrong I think its a great weekend, but you cant get away from the fact that the game is in a sorry state which as been caused by the RFL             

#11 higgy

higgy
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

IF the RFL cannot sell or come near to selling out a stadium like the Etihad on both days with 7 matches being played that weekend, something is no right within out game. Like the RLWC games at Wembley, a 1/2 empty stadium looks absolutely poor from a marketing and television perspective. Remember, pictures do not tell you how many are there, but pictures with masses of empty seats do not do the sport any good whatsoever or sells the sport to perspective sponsors etc.

Pre SL, the Challenge Cup final was always a sell out as was the Premiership Final Double Header. Matches against the Aussies always played in front of full houses, we cannot fill the DW for an England V Australia game anymore. People were interested in our sport back then, but poor decision making by the RFL and SL have led to peoples interest diminishing.

Look at this for a poor decision. The RFL are looking at changing how the junior game is played pre 10 year olds. Its absolutely madness what they are proposing and will effect kill kids taking up the sport - and having exensive experience in this field, I am not on my own in thinking this. So what do the RFL do, have an open meeting with all junior coaches in Manchester at the Velodrome on Sunday of the Magic Weekend at 12.30. Absolutely brilliant...... All these kids were playing rugby that morning for their clubs and with 10.30 klck offs for most, how many would of attended that event.......Madness.

Got to agree pure madness, its like the decision they made about doing away with our under 18s team and introducing the under 20s they didn't inform the club until they had recruited under 18s. It makes the club look stupid not the RFL who made the decision. Couldn't run a p--s up in a brewery comes to mind.

#12 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Its not in City's interests at all. They just did what they were told and massaged the figures.

My source is spot on. You don't have to believe me but I know its fact. Little more than 45,000 attended over the two days.

How can City massage the figures when the tickets are scanned in, and if the RFL are inflating the crowd size, wouldn't that attract the interest of the Inland Revenue, and damage the reputation of the RFL ?

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

The RFL cannot damage themselves anymore than they are actually doing. It won't be the first or last time they have 'massaged' their figures to suit themselves and sponsors.

Edited by oldhamer, 28 May 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#14 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

How can City massage the figures when the tickets are scanned in, and if the RFL are inflating the crowd size, wouldn't that attract the interest of the Inland Revenue, and damage the reputation of the RFL ?

I can't pretend to know how it works. I just know its true.

It's the same at Old Trafford every other week when United claim to have a full house. Anyone who goes can regularly see 10,000 empty seats.

#15 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Maybe Ganson counted the crowd?

#16 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

I Went on the saturday and attended last year and i think its one of the best days in rugby league, apart from nearly getting sun stroke two years in a row.

The only two minor grumbles this year are the beer prices seemed to have jumped up, probably due to City winning the league last year.

My second grumble was that it did look half empty for most of the day but it was hard to judge because many fans came in big chunks for their own team and then buggered off once they had finished. If we want to drag this sport on fans need to be less insular and try and get behind the sport on these occasions and not just their own team.

Hull FC brought an impressive amount and there block of fans fizzled away for the Warrington Saints game, it doesnt make sense in my eyes.

#17 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I can't pretend to know how it works. I just know its true.
It's the same at Old Trafford every other week when United claim to have a full house. Anyone who goes can regularly see 10,000 empty seats.

Could the "empty seats" be season ticket holders ? If so, wouldn't there technically be a full house ?

#18 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Could the "empty seats" be season ticket holders ? If so, wouldn't there technically be a full house ?

Yep. It is tickets sold not people present that is given as the figure. If 90 per cent of people bought tickets but didn't bother to go they would still be shown in the attendance figure given.

#19 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

If the RFU would of done a similar thing in the heartland of RU, say Twickenham. Would they have got similar gates? The answer, a resounding no. Why oh why dont the RFL look how the RFU do things. Having been on both sides of the fence over the past few years, the RFU are finally getting it right on and off the field and puts the RL to shame.

Edited by oldhamer, 29 May 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#20 herbie

herbie
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

And yet the game is still a total bore and the skill sets of the players are miles behind Rugby League players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users