Remaining fixtures

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,968 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

But has it not been said that in 2015 everything will change again and CH1 and bottom half of CH will be in the same league anyway. If this is so after next season it doesn't really matter. RFL say it hasn't been decided yet but I reckon it's a 'fait accompli'

From what I hear Michael it is a "fait accompli" that we will be going to a system of 12 team SL1 and 12 team Championship (SL2) plus Championship 1, from the start of the 2015 season.

Halfway through the 2015 season, ie: after 11 games in each of the top two leagues, the top 8 in SL1 will carry on and play each other home and away for the SL Champions.    The bottom 4 SL1 teams after 11 games will join with the top 4 Championship (SL2) clubs to form another 8 team league and they will play each other home and away.     At the end of these matches the top 4 clubs will join the 8 SL1 teams to form the following seasons 12 team SL1.

In order to get to this system 2 teams will have to be "relegated" from the SL in to the Championship (SL2) or it could even be 3 teams "relegated" IF the RFL take Toulouse in to SL1.      This will have the knock-on effect of either 4 or 5 teams being "relegated" from the Championship (SL2) in to Championship 1 at the end of the 2014 season.

The unfairness of the system will show when the SL teams that are relegated have a large parachute payment and therefore start on a better financial footing than the current Championship teams.   Then at the halfway stage the four SL1 teams at the bottom of their league will join forces with the top 4 of our league but with a large difference in both funding and salary cap.    The 4 SL teams will have squads of players up to a salary cap of £1.6 million. whereas the 4 Championship clubs will be working on a salary cap of around £300k- £400k.   The SL clubs will have received £1.2 million from Sky money whilst the Championship clubs will have received £180k from central funding.

It will be very difficult for any Championship team to get in to the top 4 of their 8 team league as they will in effect be competing with 6 SL clubs, ie: the 2 (or maybe 3) that are relegated with several hundred thousands parachute payment plus the bottom 4 in SL1.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#22 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

once again the RFL looking after the chosen few Keith :rtfm:

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#23 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,968 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

once again the RFL looking after the chosen few Keith :rtfm:

Yes, but the problem is that they just have to wave a few more quid in front of the Championship teams and they all vote for it.   Sad really.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#24 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes, but the problem is that they just have to wave a few more quid in front of the Championship teams and they all vote for it.   Sad really.

We all ask the rfl to consult on these issues but when it comes to decision making then it has to be them alone that make the decision. They should be the only interested party without any bias.

I read today that Leigh chairman Freer is saying that divisions of 8 would be "a recipe for disaster" and that he suggests 2 super leagues of 10 and a championship below. He suggests £520k each for the league 2 clubs (ie Leigh) and £1.35m to be shared by18 to 20 championship clubs....cheers mate.

Really! And could this just be that Leigh are presently 17th in the present league structure and would still be out of superleague?

We may not like the answer but surely only the rfl can decide.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#25 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,968 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

We all ask the rfl to consult on these issues but when it comes to decision making then it has to be them alone that make the decision. They should be the only interested party without any bias.

I read today that Leigh chairman Freer is saying that divisions of 8 would be "a recipe for disaster" and that he suggests 2 super leagues of 10 and a championship below. He suggests £520k each for the league 2 clubs (ie Leigh) and £1.35m to be shared by18 to 20 championship clubs....cheers mate.

Really! And could this just be that Leigh are presently 17th in the present league structure and would still be out of superleague?

We may not like the answer but surely only the rfl can decide.

The problem is that the RFL are the club Chairmen of both SL and Championship clubs.    SL clubs want this new system and all they need to do is offer the Championship clubs another £50k or so and it will sail through.

#26 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Results never go the way you anticipate..for example Fev won at Leigh then a week later lost at Post Office Road to Donny; You may find it harder against teams scrapping for survival rather than the so called better teams;

#27 Jemmo

Jemmo
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

On the Dons forum I've done the maths, it looks like more than 28 points will be needed to stay up (assuming points carry on being distributed in the same rate as they are now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users