Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rams turnstile?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

P.S.

Wish I'd stayed at home and painted the fence - I could have watched it dry and been better entertained. 

Surely that's a good thing though. If there were only seven rams fans turned up, then 1040 of the batley faithful must have been there . All you need to do now is make sure they turn up at every home game and it's a result. Must admit the magnificent 7 seemed to be outsinging you for much of the match though. Didn't use the rams turnstile in deference to BTJ. ;)

#62 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Surely that's a good thing though. If there were only seven rams fans turned up, then 1040 of the batley faithful must have been there . All you need to do now is make sure they turn up at every home game and it's a result. Must admit the magnificent 7 seemed to be outsinging you for much of the match though. Didn't use the rams turnstile in deference to BTJ. ;)

Didn't hear singing from either supporters yesterday, gotta say the Rams didn't turn out to support their team yesterday, disapointing.

#63 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

To be fair, the Batley fans didn't turn out either, as shown by the abysmal crowd figure.

Anyway, as Kevin said in his programme notes, the Rams have agreed to reciprocate for our fixture there next year.

Better hope they don't get relegated!!

#64 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Didn't hear singing from either supporters yesterday, gotta say the Rams didn't turn out to support their team yesterday, disapointing.

Really? Is that statement based upon known facts, speculation or simple prejudice?

At your last home game you attracted 583 faithful fans, a small number of whom must have come from Swinton, so lets' be generous and say 550 Batley fans. Yesterday there were 1074 at the ground - disappointing for sure, but are you claiming that the majority of those 524 were Batley fans crawling out of the woodwork, or maybe conceding that the majority, 300 say, were Dewsbury fans?

FWIW my estimate on the day based upon faces that I recognised and those who were wearing shirts etc was that about 300 Rams fans made the trip - nothing to write home about but comparable with the number of Batley fans who come to the Tetley Stadium nowadays.. KN's programme notes were quite prescient I reckon - all clubs have to innovate in order to get more fans through the gate.

:rtfm:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#65 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

200 came through the Rams gate

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship Club of the Year 2011"

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#66 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Knowing you as I know you Ernie the figure will be accurate. In that case I have to say 'Hang your heads in shame all you so called Dewsbury supporters.' Your team was coming off the back of 3 wins in a row, you were playing a top 4 side, the weather was perfect, as was THE PITCH( well done Jim Morley AGAIN), and you would have been giving money back to your own club.

Well I will tell you this there will be a lot more Batley Fans at the return fixture, and I trust Mark Sawyer to be honest with the turnstile numbers.

Forget all this ''we hate Batley/ Dewsbury'' nonsense, just support your team/s. That attendance was ridiculous, hang your heads.

200 came through the Rams gate

Edited by colinb, 03 June 2013 - 12:09 PM.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#67 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Knowing you as I know you Ernie the figure will be accurate. In that case I have to say 'Hang your heads in shame all you so called Dewsbury supporters.'

Forget all this ''we hate Batley/ Dewsbury'' nonsense, just support your team/s. That attendance was ridiculous, hang your heads.

Over 1000 turn-up this last weekend and 550 the week before. I can't see for the life of me what Dewsbury fans have to be ashamed about?

200 fans may have gone through one particular turnstile but to a fan, that turnstile has no more an incentive to be used if the price is the same. Neither can you prove all fans using that gate were Dewsbury fans.

The fact is that Dewsbury, as a club, made a few quid. No shame.

The other fact is that Batley will need to work hard to attract the same number of people through the gate for the next home match. If they don't then we'll see who needs to hang their heads.

#68 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

The shame is ONLY 200 fans turned up, for a local derby. You can't see the incentive??? Am I missing something here. The INCENTIVE was to pay the £15 BUT that £2 of it was going to their OWN club, and still only 200 turn up. Regards the fact you can't say they were all Dewsbury fans actually makes the proper number of Dewsbury fans LESS than 200.

And yes Dewsbury made a few quid--No shame, well again , if MORE had gone they would have made MORE.

Over 1000 turn-up this last weekend and 550 the week before. I can't see for the life of me what Dewsbury fans have to be ashamed about?

200 fans may have gone through one particular turnstile but to a fan, that turnstile has no more an incentive to be used if the price is the same. Neither can you prove all fans using that gate were Dewsbury fans.

The fact is that Dewsbury, as a club, made a few quid. No shame.

The other fact is that Batley will need to work hard to attract the same number of people through the gate for the next home match. If they don't then we'll see who needs to hang their heads.

Edited by colinb, 03 June 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#69 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Was an appalin turnout from dews fans I have to agree but not all dews fans used the rams ones.. The under 16s for a start had to use the batley gate to get in so were talking around 250 dews fans 800 batley.. Both clubs need to work together to sort this out! Bottom line is batley fans love turning up for dewsbury games, dews fans don't travel to mount but turn up to our home games, hence our usual 150 200 we average more per home game.

#70 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Equally Dewsbury fans could have gone through the non Dewsbury turnstile so it could be more. We will never know.
I'd agree with DTID both clubs should try and work closer together to improve both the attendances across the board.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#71 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

You are right , some Dews fans may have gone thro the 'non' Dewsbury turnstile but why?? Do they not want to see their club get something back for their visit . ???

Equally Dewsbury fans could have gone through the non Dewsbury turnstile so it could be more. We will never know.
I'd agree with DTID both clubs should try and work closer together to improve both the attendances across the board.

#72 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

You are right , some Dews fans may have gone thro the 'non' Dewsbury turnstile but why?? Do they not want to see their club get something back for their visit . ???

Not all fans read these forums/web sites etc and may have been unaware of the incentive for the club of using the specific turnstiles. I have to say I wouldn't have actually noticed the turnstile if I hadn't been looking for it - this isn't a criticism, simply an observation.

It was a poor attendance and I would also have liked to see more Rams fans there; I would also have hoped to see more Dogs fans there too, which should also have disappointed you.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#73 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

I think it was disappointing to say the least. We should be aiming for 2000 for the local derby. Again back to the issue of advertising the game.

#74 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

The shame is ONLY 200 fans turned up, for a local derby. You can't see the incentive??? Am I missing something here. The INCENTIVE was to pay the £15 BUT that £2 of it was going to their OWN club, and still only 200 turn up. Regards the fact you can't say they were all Dewsbury fans actually makes the proper number of Dewsbury fans LESS than 200.
And yes Dewsbury made a few quid--No shame, well again , if MORE had gone they would have made MORE.

Colin, you clearly are missing something. The real problem is bigger than the effects of one game.

Batley have a very good squad and have had for 3+ years. You would expect this would be attractive to a Batley follower but the fan base in Batley still isn't interested in turning up. A poorly marketed incentive for one game is no way to buck a long term trend. Dewsbury has it's own problems with gates but and the blame does not lie at the feet of the average Dewsbury supporter if Batley can't find the magic formula and use fairly low key tactics to address the problem.

If you need me to emphasise the point any more then let me know.

#75 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

I think it was disappointing to say the least. We should be aiming for 2000 for the local derby. Again back to the issue of advertising the game.

I think those days are long gone. Hopefully any changes in structure might revitalise the opportunities for clubs like Batley and Dewsbury.

#76 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

I have to disagree. Featherstone a few years ago had similar attendances to us but now with how they are marketing themselves they comfortably get over 2000.

In our area we have a ###### poor attitude and no wonder fans don't turn up. If the days of us getting over 2000 at our games is long gone (which as feathestone have proved is not the case) then we should be happy with th 1k+ attendance and not try to do anything more about it.

In my opinion if we marketed our club better we should aim to get over 1000 season tickets. I am not saying it would be easy but it is possible. A start would be having an easier way of buying tickets online. Advertise on Facebook and even in schools. I have said it before but a write up in the Batley news is not enough to attract support.

#77 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

I have to disagree. Featherstone a few years ago had similar attendances to us but now with how they are marketing themselves they comfortably get over 2000.

In our area we have a ###### poor attitude and no wonder fans don't turn up. If the days of us getting over 2000 at our games is long gone (which as feathestone have proved is not the case) then we should be happy with th 1k+ attendance and not try to do anything more about it.

In my opinion if we marketed our club better we should aim to get over 1000 season tickets. I am not saying it would be easy but it is possible. A start would be having an easier way of buying tickets online. Advertise on Facebook and even in schools. I have said it before but a write up in the Batley news is not enough to attract support.

Henry Ford said:

"If you always do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got."

Innovation is required rather than knee-jerks. Much of this needs to come from the RFL admittedly, but clubs also need to help themselves. naturally, this doesn't simply apply to Batley but all other KPC clubs, including my own.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#78 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

I think those days are long gone. Hopefully any changes in structure might revitalise the opportunities for clubs like Batley and Dewsbury.

2000+ at xmas 1000+ in summer

#79 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

2000+ at xmas 1000+ in summer

Your point being?

The sport is now summer rugby. Tell me the last time Batley got 2000 at home for a league/cup game in the summer era?

#80 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Your point being?

The sport is now summer rugby. Tell me the last time Batley got 2000 at home for a league/cup game in the summer era?

I think the point he was making is that crowds have diminished owing to summer rugby. Whereas 2000 would attend in winter 1000 of those don't bother in the summer.

It definitely needs a major get together of all the Championship clubs to come up with a concerted effort to attract (and retain) spectators across the board. It is no good each club going at it piecemeal with "off the cuff" ideas thought out a few days before they take place. It needs some long term vision.

I must admit the idea of all clubs allowing a season ticket holder from another club in for £5 has some merit. As Coolie says if they won't come in for a fiver they certainly won't for fifteen quid. The downside presumably would be that clubs would say when Fev or Fax (for example) visit and bring 800 fans, we lose £8000 by letting them in for a fiver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users