Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tennis

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#81 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Well, I'm not going to deny her general easiness on the eye!

I missed this on the radio but apparently Inverdale, on hearing that Bartoli's first inspiration was her dad asked the commentators: "Do you think he said, well you're never going to be a looker so ...?"

Once an assclown, always an assclown.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#82 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

The BBC has apologised after commentator John Inverdale said Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli was "never going to be a looker".

Inverdale's comments on Radio 5 live as the French player prepared to face Germany's Sabine Lisicki provoked anger from many listeners.

A BBC spokesperson said: "We accept that this remark was insensitive and for that we apologise."

Inverdale later said he had poked fun "in a nice way at how she looks".

He added: "She is an incredible role model for people who aren't born with all the attributes of natural athletes".

So, according to Inverdale, what are the natural attributes of a natural athlete?

#83 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

So the BBC apologies for his remark. How about his mother apologizes for her stupidity?

#84 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

I thought I'd better remind those of you over 40 and inform those of you under 40 of what happened the last time a Scotsman won Wimbledon.  You can skip to the third part of you're short of time...  The third part is a link because the forum software only lets me display two videos at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMCNltgrs1U

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#85 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Well well. .didn't see it (hard at work you see) but a tremendous achievement by Murray. Can't be long until he is slagged off.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#86 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Phew! Isn't tennis tense!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#87 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

You watch, England will lose the Ashes now. /Eeyore

#88 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

You watch, England will lose the Ashes now. /Eeyore

Hey, Andy Murray wins Wimbledon, Scottish students beat Russia in the Student Rugby League World Cup - this is turning into Scotland's afternoon.

(But good luck to England against the Aussies! :) )

#89 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

One of the closest straight sets games you're likely to see. Superb achievement from Murray.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#90 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

One of the closest straight sets games you're likely to see. Superb achievement from Murray.

This.

#91 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

It was, wasn't it. 2-0 up with three match points I still wasn't confident!

#92 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I turned the TV on midway through the third set at which point it looked like Murray was coasting to victory.

He lost 4 games in a row while I was watching, so I turned the TV off again!

Delighted for him that he went on to win. :)

Historic achievement. I'll now settle for watching the recorded highlights later.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#93 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

This again.

Well done Andy Murray.

#94 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

I missed most of it, I was at  P O Road, I caught the last point of the last game which was tense enough for me. It must have taken real guts by Murray to win that last point. Fair play to him.  I saw when Salmond who was right behind Dave started waving the Saltire, the camera quickly switched to another view :)

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#95 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

has anyone lamped Garry Richardson yet?

#96 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

I missed most of it, I was at  P O Road, I caught the last point of the last game which was tense enough for me. It must have taken real guts by Murray to win that last point. Fair play to him.  I saw when Salmond who was right behind Dave started waving the Saltire, the camera quickly switched to another view :)

I was the same. This may have been the greatest day in Scottish sports history (and a pretty big one for Britain as a whole), but I was experiencing an even rarer thing: a beautiful, hot summer day in a Scottish garden. I was called in for the final game and that was almost too much for the nerves. Can't tennis be so nerve-wracking game? I know he was 2-0 up, and went to three match points, but he could have lost that game, ended up losing that set, and then the result is up in the air again. I just think the grand slam win he had last year has exorcised a few demons in him. He no longer crumbles when he experiences a setback. I think he can kick on from here and go on to achieve a lot more.

#97 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

has anyone lamped Garry Richardson yet?

Thought Murray was going to do this after beating Verdasco. How can the BBC employ this Alan Partridge lite when his talented brother is confined to Eurosport? Inverdale would be first in my list for a cull though - even before the Bartoli comments.

#98 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Well done to the BRITISH no1, Andy Murray.

Maybe he'll dedicate his win the the dead in his Dunblane school, or maybe not.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#99 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Well done to the BRITISH no1, Andy Murray.

Maybe he'll dedicate his win the the dead in his Dunblane school, or maybe not.

What's the point of this post?

#100 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

What's the point of this post?

Sometimes I just shake my head when I read some posts on here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users