TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Keighley Match

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#181 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

He created one gap for calderwood with a ball in behind..... It's not worth talking about as I understand he is a regular in widnes' team ... I'm sure in an ideal world every team could improve every position on the field ... But in most cases you have to go with what you have got ... And that's from super league / NRL to the Cumberland leagues... There's more to spreading the ball out wide than just having a 6 who can pass.... ie a centre who can also do likewise and maybe even a back row... One thing that does stand out tho is the timing of our dummy runners is poor and they've gone through before the balls came to them .. Thus creating no confusion what so ever for the opposition defence.

#182 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yeah but who you comparing us to ? Friday night tv? NRL? The difference I see is other teams pressure our kickers where as like last week v donny we give the opposition boot as much time as they want - hence their kicks appear better - the kicking game hasn't been that bad in the opp 20 - we get regular repeat sets.

i don't think kicking on last tackle on the opp's 20 is the kicking issue. its not turning the opp's full back or not attempting to pin the opp back in their own half. not attempting 40/20's and lethargic kicking from hand on free kicks not gaining much ground even with the wind behind us. black (batley ) helliwell (hawks) and cooke (donny ) are fine examples of how to kick the ball around the park. a good kick chase and solid defence in the opp's half is the way to do it. the widnes game was another good example, they kicked deep and forced us to run out of our own half but due to their solid defence we found it difficult. we have to pin leigh back in their own half next week or we will lose. our forwards do a fine job driving up the pitch but we then run out of tackles 30y short of the opps line. there's times we look like the only way we will get a set near the opp's line is if we get a free kick. we should always be wanting to keep the game in the opp's half and this will only happen if we significantly improve out tactical kicking game. it has to be better in this league.

#183 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

He created one gap for calderwood with a ball in behind..... It's not worth talking about as I understand he is a regular in widnes' team ... I'm sure in an ideal world every team could improve every position on the field ... But in most cases you have to go with what you have got ... And that's from super league / NRL to the Cumberland leagues... There's more to spreading the ball out wide than just having a 6 who can pass.... ie a centre who can also do likewise and maybe even a back row... One thing that does stand out tho is the timing of our dummy runners is poor and they've gone through before the balls came to them .. Thus creating no confusion what so ever for the opposition defence.

dummy runners? we never bother with them.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#184 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Game I watched in Oz yesterday , knock on missed by the refs , Dragons going on to score but video ref got in the refs ear about the knock on ... I know we lose due to our limitations and all that but gee whizz no excuse for a bloke getting into the refs ear when they're in communication ! Hard games are made even harder .

#185 GETEMONSIDE

GETEMONSIDE
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

dummy runners? we never bother with them.

We've only started kicking for touch of penalty's, so steady on.

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

#186 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

And dummy runners only come into the game off good sharp passing ! The ball movement at pace causes the confusion as much as the runners . You guys are right though , lets master the basics for a full game ,that gets the job done in this league more often than not !

Edited by DavidM, 01 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#187 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Townfan10, why do I get the feeling that you are either a player or a member of a players family?    You don't seem to like or want Town to have DR players, which to me smacks of the locals v travellers arguments that we tend to get in west Cumbria.    Haven had this problem for 2 or 3 seasons but seemed to have now accepted it with only 4 or 5 locals in their team.   If a player is good enough and deserves to be in the team then he should be in not just selected because his mates might take umbrage about being left out.

Craven was like a breath of fresh air on Thursday evening and even his poor kicks were better than anything we had done all evening.    He added pace of pass and movement to the team and showed what we have been missing this season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#188 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

IMO Townfan10 you have some valid points, I agree with you on our centres, they are a weak link to our two very good wingers. But I also disagree with you on a few other points. Your opinion on Craven is the polar opposite of what everyone else seemed to watch or witness on Sunday. 

With a few injuries clearing up and Acton deciding to come come back we will be much stronger as our team is very much set up around our forwards. I'd love Craven back but maybe he wont be allowed every week and in that case maybe we should stick with what we have for consistency, it's a tough one as he could really make a big difference to the team.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#189 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

My points aren't aimed at Danny cravern or DR it's at the over reaction of people on here all of a sudden thinking everything needs changed - coaches / players etc when really you have to ask yourselves what we actually do expect from a newly promoted side. Yes Cravern would be good to have on a regular basis but its unlikely to happen, I'd rather stick with out players, I've seen coyle rip teams apart in the past but we are yet to see it here, forber is worth his place alone n goal kicking which is very important and he has improved loads this season, Lupton has been 100% better this season and to be honest Phillips picks himself with the way he plays, but we need to give these players a chance and stick with them, halfbacks are just as important as a partnership than an individual - it remains to be seen which is the best double act we have at DP.nin my opinion the Aussie is no way a half back and to be honest when mossop is back I'd like to see him on the wing as he seems to have a bit of pace, I still think Olstrum could make a real centre if he plays as a centre and not as a 13 @ centre ie getting involved in everything. It's all opinions but with 3 bits of luck we could be top of the 2nd league within the championship ie 6 and below, we've beaten our neighbours 7 times on the bounce so I just don't see where it's all doom and gloom , it takes time for a side to find there feet in a new league. Also people moan about the performance on Thursday night - anyone actually thought plaing on tv might be a bit nerve racking? It could affect performance either way ....

#190 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

The thing that you don't seem to acknowledge Townfan10 is that we didn't have the players you mention available for one reason or another and we didn't stop Doncaster from scoring in the last minute and we also played very poorly in the first half at Keighley.   These are all things that, yes, if they had been reversed then we would have been higher in the table, but they didn't happen and instead we are not far off a dogfight to stay in this league.   If we had won every game we would be top of the league but we didn't and we are not.   In a way you are arguing against yourself for on the one hand you say if these players had not been missing then we would probably have won matches, etc, but does than not also highlight that our squad is not strong enough without these players and therefore we need others to fill in.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#191 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yes but as far off this dogfight we are we are also not far off doing well and no one would be twining. I'm not saying ifs and buts - the reasons we have dropped the 4 points on question is a mixture of things - ie bad ref calls/ players missing/ bad defence by certain individuals, yes of course we need to strengthen the squad as I can see us ending the season with a lack of players like previous years- but DR ain't the answer, long term loans yes... Permanent signings yes.. I just don't see widnes helping us out at all with what they have to offer, I'm beginning to think that so e of you guys thought this league was going to be easy . On the other hand tho - we have Sheffield / Halifax / Batley / Sheffield / Whitehaven all still to travel too as well as some tough home games maybe your changes you guys are shouting for should happen? Change the coach... Wouldn't he still have the same players to work with? These same players who " aren't good enough" .... Change the 6 .... He's still going to have ineffective centres ? / back rowers who rarely pass?? .... I could even include awful service from 9 most of the time?? ....

#192 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Dunno what you lot are all worried about its gonna be between haven or town who finish 6th or 7th weve got similar run ins to the end of the season and it,ll probably go down to who wins at the recre who finishes 6th both teams have done well this season so far and are both way too good to go down

#193 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

My points aren't aimed at Danny cravern or DR it's at the over reaction of people on here all of a sudden thinking everything needs changed - coaches / players etc when really you have to ask yourselves what we actually do expect from a newly promoted side. Yes Cravern would be good to have on a regular basis but its unlikely to happen, I'd rather stick with out players, I've seen coyle rip teams apart in the past but we are yet to see it here, forber is worth his place alone n goal kicking which is very important and he has improved loads this season, Lupton has been 100% better this season and to be honest Phillips picks himself with the way he plays, but we need to give these players a chance and stick with them, halfbacks are just as important as a partnership than an individual - it remains to be seen which is the best double act we have at DP.nin my opinion the Aussie is no way a half back and to be honest when mossop is back I'd like to see him on the wing as he seems to have a bit of pace, I still think Olstrum could make a real centre if he plays as a centre and not as a 13 @ centre ie getting involved in everything. It's all opinions but with 3 bits of luck we could be top of the 2nd league within the championship ie 6 and below, we've beaten our neighbours 7 times on the bounce so I just don't see where it's all doom and gloom , it takes time for a side to find there feet in a new league. Also people moan about the performance on Thursday night - anyone actually thought plaing on tv might be a bit nerve racking? It could affect performance either way ....

i think its more frustration than over reaction after two games we could and should have won. town are better than the last two performances suggest and that is frustrating too. playing on tv shouldn't make a difference in fact it should make players show off a bit performing for the cameras. we need a player to kick us around the park a bit more and lupton can do that.

Edited by town4me, 01 June 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#194 denisatesk1952

denisatesk1952
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Dunno what you lot are all worried about its gonna be between haven or town who finish 6th or 7th weve got similar run ins to the end of the season and it,ll probably go down to who wins at the recre who finishes 6th both teams have done well this season so far and are both way too good to go down

as a HAVEN fan donald i have to agree with you,i think both team's are good enough to finish in the top eight .i also hope that barrow can pull themselve's around and keep themselve's in this league.we need to show the rfl that rugby league is still strong in cumbria. 

although having said that i would love the order to be HAVEN barrow town lol.

ps. on the keighly game i reckon another 10 minute's town would have won the game,.as usual town where never gave up and fought to the final minute.

Edited by denisatesk1952, 02 June 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#195 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Totally agree there Donald, we've put in 2 bad performances in games we would be targetting for a win.

Im not worrying about relegation, and am chuffed how we have fared so far this season, bearing in mind we've not been at this level for 10 years.

I can see some frustrations because we could be doing even better, but lots of teams can say that.

#196 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Of course we should have all our own players and not have to rely on getting DR or loan players from anywhere but there is one BIG obstacle to that - finance!!!

It's alright saying that we should have our own players but how do we pay to get them?    DR is with us until the end of the season and I am certain that there will be changes to the system after that if it is to continue but until then if other clubs are taking full use of it then so should we.   I don't think we will get relegated but we shouldn't be complacent and if there is a better quality player available to us we should take him.    We have players playing each week that are not up to Championship standard and we keep getting found out.    Top teams in any sport stay top teams by strengthening their squad when they are fairly strong to start with in order to remain up there, not when they are on a slide.

#197 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Id play Olstrum in the second row and having causing murder outwide instead of getting beat up down the middle.

#198 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Can't agree to that mate , he's a born middle of the park thick of the action player . His work rate in attack n defence testify to that . He's often looked a bit lost and found out technically out wide . 13 , and only his passing is stopping him from being an equally effective 9 , but you can work on that . Of all our problems he isn't one of them ! Brett and Stack are more than fine , though neither should be burnt out . That's why you need strong cover .

Edited by DavidM, 02 June 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#199 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Can't agree to that mate , he's a born middle of the park thick of the action player . His work rate in attack n defence testify to that . He's often looked a bit lost and found out technically out wide . 13 , and only his passing is stopping him from being an equally effective 9 , but you can work on that . Of all our problems he isn't one of them ! Brett and Stack are more than fine , though neither should be burnt out . That's why you need strong cover .

Thats fair enough - I just feel that sometimes the way you play you perhpas miss something a little more dynamic wider out.He reminds me of the two young lads who play at Bradford - Whitehead & Donaldson -  Brett & Stacks are excellent but TBF you dont see much ball getting out and they havent got that turn of pace you see with Karl.I watched Morris and Stack run the same line on three occasions on Thursday and thought it might be that they dont back themselves for pace . I guess with the pack the way it is you do need him in the middle but I thought it might be an option if they decided to play with Callum at 7 , Connor at 6 and Lupton at 13 ? . 

#200 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Anyone know if we have the option of Jordan for another month or has the loan period run out. If he has played his last game for us, thanks for your contribution Jordan, you have a real future in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users