TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Keighley Match

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#161 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

we have all been saying for months about our lack of speed and creativity in the halves. lets have craven on loan until the end of the season and some players are just going to have to accept being dropped to make way for him

I have been saying it for weeks now that charlo and oggie are just good enough for this division,last week we were in big trouble but 7 minutes to go we were leading 20-18 and charlo decides to take stacky off,we lose the match because he decides to take our best defensive player off,why,what for,ask charlo but you will not get an answer.Tonight i knew it would be hard especially being light on forwards but still thought it was winnable,i was wrong,we were f.....g abysmal,but why did we have danny craven sitting on the f....g bench until the second half,he is just what we have been looking for and charlo sticks him on the bench.In the second half we were a better side when he came on with young philips,oh,and dowes,get shot of right away,thackery is far to light for a prop,and that calderwood,oh my god,why did he not just fall on the ball right on half time,game over,but no,he decides to hoof it up the park and miss kicks it,4 points thankyou.I could put my foot right through the f....g TV screen after watching the first half but to be fair they did at least get the dreaded bonus point,and to finish my little rant i would try to sign danny craven for the season and bring in either paul crary or even mcormack to steady the ship because if charlo keeps on taking the wrong men off at the wrong time,god forbid we start losing more matches than we should be it will be catastrophic for town.PS.Now is the time for no sentiments has to who will play where,if we have to bring in 5 players from widnes then so be it,we has supporters have seen the team and also the players who should be not playing and from the next match we should be picking the team with the 5 players from widnes,oh,and charlo i think himself said that too,now is the time to be brave and do it.
Posted Image

#162 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

A lot of Widnes fans including myself have moaned about Craven not been picked in the Widnes squad.Llyold White and Leuluai are very average on the games I have watched, and Kev Brown has been poor too.Just look at the Widnes message board says it all and some don't rate Betts.

#163 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

I was thinking at halftime that we would get 50 put on us minimum. Credit to the team for fighting back like they did, we might not have a clue but at least we are fit !! We were battered in the first half by a very poor Keighley side who showed in the second 40 why they have lost 6 on the trot'
Some of the refereeing dicisions were incredible, have you ever seen a more blatant knock on before their first try ? Our coaching decisions were even worse.I'm starting to think that Charlo is losing the plot after last night and last Sunday ! Danny Craven warming the bench when it was so obvious we needed him, and why did Matty spend so long off the field ? was he injured ?
One positive we can take from last night is the fact that Keighley didn't make a clean break during the game, but then again Donny didn't on Sunday, we let ourselves down with poor tackling near our line. the Feather try was pathetic from us.
We have a nice 10 day break now before we face Leigh, let's hope we can get some fit bodies back before then, if we do, I think we can give them a game.

#164 XIII man

XIII man
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Was impressed with Craven and I can see why you are questioning why he didn't start the game.

There was some dubious calls in the first half but Keighley had more energy and showed more aggression. What I cannot understand is why we pay lip service to the video ref. I subscribe to premier sports and not sky sports so most of the games I see are NRL. They make their video ref get involved in incidents that have been missed by the onfield ref and are not afraid of bringing the game back. When Brett Carter was hit high and the game stopped two plays later the video ref should have stepped in and given your team a penalty. At this stage you could still have completed a come back.

#165 goingupthetown

goingupthetown
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

The ref didn't need the video ref. he had on field assistance via Mr March. Just like his brother they try to influence these young refs throughout the 80 mins, and they seem to listen to them!

#166 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

You have an experienced top SL ref in the box in total communication with three inexperienced ineptitudes out in the middle ... He should be helping them out and working as a full team , ' that's a knock on Matt , that's a high tackle etc etc ' . He's just sitting back watching all this and is unable to do anything ? Don't we want the right decision then ? And we saw Charlo constantly shaking his head as it was sliding downhill rapidly but nothing changed till we were out of it ? Did you see the quote in the star yesterday ... Our centres and wingers complain about not getting much ball but that's because of the way we have to play . What does that mean ?

Edited by DavidM, 31 May 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#167 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

You have an experienced top SL ref in the box in total communication with three inexperienced ineptitudes out in the middle ... He should be helping them out and working as a full team , ' that's a knock on Matt , that's a high tackle etc etc ' . He's just sitting back watching all this and is unable to do anything ? Don't we want the right decision then ? And we saw Charlo constantly shaking his head as it was sliding downhill rapidly but nothing changed till we were out of it ? Did you see the quote in the star yesterday ... Our centres and wingers complain about not getting much ball but that's because of the way we have to play . What does that mean ?

That reminded me of a certain Mr Stokes. Are we allowed to say his name now??

#168 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

That was a classic last night in the dressing room at the end of Charlo's "inspirational" speech when he asked them if they all understood what he was telling them.    Total silence, not even a nod of a head.

Our coach should have been on the phone first thing this morning to Dennis Betts asking who will be available for our next match against Leigh and getting one or two up here to train with the team for a few sessions.     Danny Craven linked up with us yesterday at Keighley, sat on a bench for 40 minutes and then came on and ran the show for us in the second half.    Imagine him with a couple of sessions with our lads.   We got Grant Gore who, again we thought of as a stand-off but where did we play him -  hooker.    Even Leigh are taking upwards of 3 players from Wigan nowadays so there is no shame in doing the same but will we?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#169 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Wouldn't it have done us and him good to have taken Gore on a full season loan right at the start? Or after talking to Betts ask him who's down the pecking order . Right we'll take them and give them game time . No week to week stuff , players gelling with us over a long spell . They can always take them back in emergencies . It would be better for everyone if guys like Gore , Craven , Briscoe and Lawton knew where they stood and were playing regularly and integrating fully as long loanies ? Good for Widnes to , they'll come back better players ?

Edited by DavidM, 31 May 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#170 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just in passing, both Lawton and Leuluai are in the nineteen for the Widnes Sunday match against Catalan. Their next match is a targeted match for getting some of their injured players back- against Wigan on the Friday night. Thus, if we need them, there may be be a wider choice of players available for DR for our match against Leigh including the "change" from the nineteen man squad. By the Wednesday (publication deadline for the nineteen man squad to play Wigan), we should know if Craven - for one - is available.

Edited by Supporter, 31 May 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#171 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

It's sad when you desperate for help from a SL club.

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

#172 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

It's sad when you desperate for help from a SL club.

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

how is using DR scraping the barrel? that saying means using what's left over because there's nothing else. silly comment from you really.

#173 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yeh great . Don't freshen and rotate by using DR and legitimately use the structures in place to augment your strength while everyone else does and we may be scraping the bottom of the league ...

Edited by DavidM, 31 May 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#174 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

After calming down from yesterday i will try to take some reasonable bits of yesterdays game,i said what i did about charlo and oggie and still maintain that they are out of their depth in this division.I think it is time to bring in some outside help to assist them in training and tactics because being honest we have none,another poster said we play 40 minutes well and 40 minutes ###### and that is why i would like to see someone brought in to rectify the situation.Last night we were made to look like a poor championship1 side not a mid table championship one,on the positive side if,there is one,we will have a few players back from injurys which will certainly make us stronger and if we can get a few players in from widnes like gore,craven, luelei,and even lawton,then we will be ready and able to meet a lot of teams with fire and collect the points we need to stay in the championship which, are vital to us surviving in this league.I still believe we need another big prop that can hit where it hurts has dowes and thackery in my estimation are to light,or,maybe they are not giving enough to warrant being in the side,although thacks to be fair doe's try, but more times than enough just bounces of the opposing forward.?.Overall,i think we will stay in the championship this season but next season we will have to strengthen and try to keep has many players has we can for next year and maybe even bring a couple of overseas players PLEASE :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :clapping: .

Posted Image

#175 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

I havent read all the posts but i have read a few and the ones I have read all seem to be saying bring in the Widnes players, why?

We were/are missing 5 players who in my opinion would make our 17 every week.

Coward
Acton
Phillips(them 3 would of made a massive difference on Thursday)
Mossop
Rooney.

I said ages ago about new coaches and got shot down. We have won 6 out of the last 8 games. We havent played well in most of them but most people seem satisfied by,just winning. Dont get me wrong I love that we are winning but to be honest we really havent played as well as we know we can,I would like to see us playing well and winning, thats what I pay £14 for.. Maybe it is the coaches or maybe its our EX superleague players who arnt lutting the effort in.
,earning big money and our local lads are ###### off because they are the ones that are putting their whole effort in. Calderwood is ######,lupton can be good at times but dosnt seem to care, Dowes..hasnt set the worls alight.
Thacks is the only one who i reckon puts the effort in.

Something needs to change, I think we rely on our forwards too much and dont seem to be clever enough in our oppositions 20.

I know we can play well, we all do, so..COME ON TOWN!!!!

Up the Town!

#176 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I havent read all the posts but i have read a few and the ones I have read all seem to be saying bring in the Widnes players, why?

We were/are missing 5 players who in my opinion would make our 17 every week.

Coward
Acton
Phillips(them 3 would of made a massive difference on Thursday)
Mossop
Rooney.

I said ages ago about new coaches and got shot down. We have won 6 out of the last 8 games. We havent played well in most of them but most people seem satisfied by,just winning. Dont get me wrong I love that we are winning but to be honest we really havent played as well as we know we can,I would like to see us playing well and winning, thats what I pay £14 for.. Maybe it is the coaches or maybe its our EX superleague players who arnt lutting the effort in.
,earning big money and our local lads are ###### off because they are the ones that are putting their whole effort in. Calderwood is ######,lupton can be good at times but dosnt seem to care, Dowes..hasnt set the worls alight.
Thacks is the only one who i reckon puts the effort in.

Something needs to change, I think we rely on our forwards too much and dont seem to be clever enough in our oppositions 20.

I know we can play well, we all do, so..COME ON TOWN!!!!

Up the Town!Hya steven,i am one of those people who is calling for the widnes lads to be included in the team,i know what you are saying about the missing lads but i think most of us that is calling for widnes players are referring to the backs especially stand off/scrum half.I know we have young philllips for 1 position but the other position we are struggling at,we have seen what a good stand off can do in danny craven on thursday night,he is one i would like to have on loan for the season,also lueli could do a good job for us in the forwards has we have seen in is short spell with us,you hit the nail on the head when you said about dowes,calderwood,and i could suggest a couple more but charlo keeps using them in the team,i am using the widnes lads has people who could step right in to fill them positions, and when widnes put their strongest team on the field there will be even stronger players not getting a game,so, why not use them if available.I would in hindsight love to have a side that would win us games but, my point is we haven't, and the more games we lose when we could be using SL players the more we will drop down the table.We have some very hard games ahead of us i think we are away to the top 4 teams and leigh our next game at home so it's vital that we win that one.Anyway,with the full team on show and ALL of them playing to their potencial we will win games but,i still think we will need good backup from SL players from widnes to help us acheive a winning side to maintain our foothold in the championship for next season. :help:  :good:

Posted Image

#177 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I think everyone's getting a bit carried away here - if anything needs to be fixed at the moment it's the teams defence - as definitely in the past 2 games and usually as a rule we concede at least 20 points a game , which is unacceptable - and is putting pressure on our attack even more than normal if we are to win games - we came into this league with one aim, to stay up, not make the playoffs... Not win the cup ... To survive, and at the moment we are doing a good job of it, had donny not scored in the last minute or we defended a little better on Thursday night we could have another 4 points - putting those with the keighley at home game which was postponed we could have had an extra 7 - and no ones moaning... No ones slagging players... No ones questioning taking stack off ,... No ones calling for help with coaching - maybe stack was ######ed v Donny? He plays 80 minutes every week!! We didn't lose that game because of one substitution , we maybe lost the game as we have a turnstile at centre who can't read defensive plays? And who has cost us on numerous occasions this season.

The stand off situation is getting boring - everyone's orgasmic over cravern - I personally didn't think he did anything special- it was the whole teams attitude which improved which brought us back into the game Thursday - we have no bench due to injuries which makes a difference - I disagree with Using widnes players yes Cravern was ok Thursday but he's the only one for me who has stood out as being from a super league environment, these guys are FULL time remember, I'd much rather use our own guys, for next season if we want to go down the DR route we need to try and get Salford - with the players on contract this season and the money they are rumoured to have there will be players galore wanting game time who can't get in the side, widnes just aren't strong enough to help us out in my opinion. For the 6 jersey we have Lupton / forber / coyle / Connor - too many options - halves need to be settled and play every game - not in and out and "rotated" when coyles fit why don't we put him out on loan to Rochdale / Oldham?

We need to get rid of the "big" pack tag also and actually try and play rugby, we aren't actually that big of a side especially without acton - keighley and donny were man for man bigger than us - if there's anything that frustrates me with the coaching is the fact we always go down the middle , lets try and go wide, especially to Elliot - everyone talks about getting a kicking game, does anyone know how you get one? You can practice kicking all week and it won't make a ###### of difference it's WHEN you kick the ball that's important and that can't be coached as much as its second nature, it's hard to find grass on the last when you have 3 guys back covering a small field ...

Need to keep positive guys as the next month is very important, just need to sort the D out and get our injured players back ASAP .

#178 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

The best kickers do find the grass a high percentage of the time and it gives you a leg up on every defensive set

#179 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yeah but who you comparing us to ? Friday night tv? NRL? The difference I see is other teams pressure our kickers where as like last week v donny we give the opposition boot as much time as they want - hence their kicks appear better - the kicking game hasn't been that bad in the opp 20 - we get regular repeat sets.

#180 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

im sorry but i disagree with just about everything you said townfan10. danny craven controlled the game in the 2nd half, notice how much ball the likes of miller and carter got compared to any other game this year, why do you think that is? because we had a back who opened up gaps and spread the ball with pace. comparing him to connor and coyle is like comparing chalk to cheese.as for just needing to improve our defence? seriously? did you see us in attack in that 1st half, we never even looked like scoring. yes our defence needs tightened up but were so predictable in attack. and stack going off in the last 10, yeah he will of been tired, thats why they should spell him earlier and get him back on for the crucial stage of the game.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users