League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone in favour of a national stadium for rugby league?

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

The RFL own Odsal so why not? The Challenge Cup and the Grand Final and big yorkshire derbies could be played there eve Magic Weekend.

Leeds would be the best place for the stadium, the largest rugby league city in the uk. Seems as there is no major stadium in yorkshire im sure revenue would come in for rock concerts and other sports.

#2 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

I thought about it for some time. The world cup will be a pointer if there are good crowds then who knows.

#3 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Nope, would not get used enough hence us having a stake in Wembley. 

Face it the costs of a 60K+ capacity stadium would not be made back by filling it twice a season for the main finals and once every few years for an international. With a few more games that nowhere near fill it every season. 

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

The RFL haven't the money to build a national Rugby League stadium.

#5 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

The RFL own Odsal so why not? The Challenge Cup and the Grand Final and big yorkshire derbies could be played there eve Magic Weekend.

Leeds would be the best place for the stadium, the largest rugby league city in the uk. Seems as there is no major stadium in yorkshire im sure revenue would come in for rock concerts and other sports.

The Leeds Arena operns shortly.  It would be a white elephant IMO even if the game could afford it.  As one Fev kid said on a TV documentary years ago about London "they've got Wembley, we've got Post Office Road!" ;)

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Face it the costs of a 60K+ capacity stadium would not be made back by filling it twice a season for the main finals and once every few years for an international. With a few more games that nowhere near fill it every season. 

but aren't the rfl paying for it already

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

They could use the Ricoh in coventry - they no longer have any tenants
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hull City's owners, the Allams, stated during their spat with Hull City Council a while back, that if Hull City managed promotion into the Premier League, then they would "not be playing at the K.C.Stadium next season." *

So there you have it, a perfect stadium for Rugby League to enjoy in the north of England.

* Of course, they could have been telling porkies because they didn't expect their team to be promoted but that's just so not like them.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm in favour of lots of things. like free bicycles for bumble bees and compulsory sheepskin slippers for penguins, but without a lot of money they're not going to happen.

#10 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Anything big enough to be prestigious would surely be too big to maintain financially and would not get filled more than twice a year

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

No.

There is no money for this.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

No.

There is no money for this.

Tied up in our Wembley contract?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

How can you say Leeds is the biggest rugby league city in the UK?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#14 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

How can you say Leeds is the biggest rugby league city in the UK?

Sizewise and within the heartlands yes.

#15 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

Sizewise and within the heartlands yes.

Sorry there is only one true rugby league city and thats Cod Head land. 

The rest of us are simply large towns with a RL majority. Small cities with a RL majority or Large cities with a large RL supporting base/team. 

#16 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

wembley-stadium-13.jpg

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Doncaster actually covers a greater area than Leeds :onthequiet: and if we go on players playing the game I think Hull will probably take that mantle.

Sizewise and within the heartlands yes

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,743 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Who is to say it would only be used once or twice a year? Other sports or events could easily want to use it and what about semis or NRC games etc? Not to mention internationals.
Most people don't pay for their houses in cash upfront, most get a mortgage. If we sat down and thought about the risks, nobody would get a house because in theory nobody can afford it.

I aren't saying they should run out tomorrow and buy a stadium but I reckon they *could* afford it if you work out all the money that goes out of the game to soccer clubs etc

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,743 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

But we spend money on other peoples stadiums that we don't fill. Why not put the money into our own game? Over time the debt will disappear, just like your mortgage.
I assume someone has actually looked at this and worked it out and decided its a non starter but it is something I'd like to see if possible.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

But we spend money on other peoples stadiums that we don't fill. Why not put the money into our own game? Over time the debt will disappear, just like your mortgage.
I assume someone has actually looked at this and worked it out and decided its a non starter but it is something I'd like to see if possible.

How many games a year are you going to play at this mythical stadium ?

It's not just the cost of building it - you have to pay the running costs after it's built. The repairs and running costs are the reason Don Valley's going to be demolished.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users