Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone in favour of a national stadium for rugby league?

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#21 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

The fact is we only need a big stadium three or four times (CC, GF, Magic and an big interantional or so which averages out) a year, so I think it works well to be able to split these events between different parts of the country. For all other games we have club stadia that are perfectly adequate.

The RFL already own grounds or shares in grounds for a number of clubs I beleive (i.e. no tjust Odsal), and if they have any money to invest in stadiums then that is the way forward IMHO.

#22 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

I wish we could have one.
People called Romans they go the house

#23 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Tied up in our Wembley contract?

How much do we pay for Wembley?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#24 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,947 posts

I'd love to see our own stadium built in Bradford. We can move the Challenge Cup away from Wembley, our only successful venture down south. Then we can move the Grand Final away from Old Trafford, our only successful venture in Manchester. So that's our two most important cities, and our two biggest expansion targets, crossed off the list. Follow it up by selling Red Hall and moving all the RFL offices to Odsal as well.

We'll be well on our way to becoming the Northern Union. What a fantastic vision for the future of our sport.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#25 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,809 posts

Other than the home nations and France, do any other countries have National Stadiums other than those built for the Olympic Games?

Edited by GeordieSaint, 30 May 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

How many games a year are you going to play at this mythical stadium ?

It's not just the cost of building it - you have to pay the running costs after it's built. The repairs and running costs are the reason Don Valley's going to be demolished.

We could have as many events as we could muster. The point is that money would be staying in the game as opposed to going to soccer clubs.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the money spent hiring other sports stadia every season?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'd love to see our own stadium built in Bradford. We can move the Challenge Cup away from Wembley, our only successful venture down south. Then we can move the Grand Final away from Old Trafford, our only successful venture in Manchester. So that's our two most important cities, and our two biggest expansion targets, crossed off the list. Follow it up by selling Red Hall and moving all the RFL offices to Odsal as well.

We'll be well on our way to becoming the Northern Union. What a fantastic vision for the future of our sport.

Nothing wrong with having your mecca of the game in the north. Its the other bits that need fixing like realising it is a nationwide sport.

#28 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Nothing wrong with having your mecca of the game in the north. Its the other bits that need fixing like realising it is a nationwide sport.

So there's nothing wrong with taking the Cup Final from Wembley?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#29 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I can't ever see the figures stacking up for an RFL national stadium, well not one large enough to host the games major finals.

But I'd like to think given the RFLs involvement at Odsal that they've at least cast an eye over the figures to see what, if any savings could be made by relocating there operation from Redhall to Odsal and making it an administrative centre for the game.  Perhaps even think about an RFL run heritage centre on site as well.

#30 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

But I'd like to think given the RFLs involvement at Odsal that they've at least cast an eye over the figures to see what, if any savings could be made by relocating there operation from Redhall to Odsal and making it an administrative centre for the game.  Perhaps even think about an RFL run heritage centre on site as well.

They should move to Media City rather than Odsal. A heritage centre there would attract more people than anywhere else.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

So there's nothing wrong with taking the Cup Final from Wembley?

Yes there are problems with that. I wouldn't actually like to see that BUT we have to decide if it might be better for the game ultimately.
But its unlikely to ever happen anyway.

#32 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

A national stadium doesn't have to be about the "big" games though - it could be something on a far smaller scale but with more purpose.

For instance, how about a Rugby League version of the FA's St Georges Park, albeit not on the same scale?

Here I'd be looking at something that has a couple of grass pitches, a full size 3G, a sports hall/tent, gym and a mini stadium with approx. 4,000 capacity - big enough for large amateur finals, friendlies etc.

The benefits of this are that it gives the full England team a high-quality training base, but a facility that can also be accessed by SL/Championship clubs pre-season/pre-match, can be accessed by other sports, can be attractive to a third party commercial provider (eg. gym, sports hall, major investor in form of a hotel chain etc.) You then end up with a facility that has commercial revenues 365 days of the year, as well as having the hotel, training services required to support England/club teams.

Strategically located the venue is used every other week as the base for Catalans in the UK. During the off-season it does Christmas parties. Mid-week it gets the business trade etc etc.

There are plenty of facilities close to this already in the heartlands - Leigh Sport Village being a good example - but the opportunity exists here to partner with say, a university or an ambitious local authority, without getting into the realms of a budget that enters the tens of millions of pounds.

Where to put it?

North (of) London - up the capacity to 10k (temporary stands) and you have a centrally funded, but sustainable venue for the London Broncos.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Don't we get our two games at Wembley (per year) for mates rates as that was part of the deal for it getting public funding.

It is, as everyone forgets, technically the national stadium for soccer and rugby league.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

A national stadium doesn't have to be about the "big" games though - it could be something on a far smaller scale but with more purpose.

For instance, how about a Rugby League version of the FA's St Georges Park, albeit not on the same scale?

A great idea!

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Don't we get our two games at Wembley (per year) for mates rates as that was part of the deal for it getting public funding.

It is, as everyone forgets, technically the national stadium for soccer and rugby league.

Except realistically.....its the national soccer stadium to virtually everyone. People might know we have the CC final there but to almost everyone its our national soccer stadium.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Here I'd be looking at something that has a couple of grass pitches, a full size 3G, a sports hall/tent, gym and a mini stadium with approx. 4,000 capacity - big enough for large amateur finals, friendlies etc.

The benefits of this are that it gives the full England team a high-quality training base, but a facility that can also be accessed by SL/Championship clubs pre-season/pre-match, can be accessed by other sports, can be attractive to a third party commercial provider (eg. gym, sports hall, major investor in form of a hotel chain etc.) You then end up with a facility that has commercial revenues 365 days of the year, as well as having the hotel, training services required to support England/club teams.

Strategically located the venue is used every other week as the base for Catalans in the UK. During the off-season it does Christmas parties. Mid-week it gets the business trade etc etc.

There are plenty of facilities close to this already in the heartlands - Leigh Sport Village being a good example - but the opportunity exists here to partner with say, a university or an ambitious local authority, without getting into the realms of a budget that enters the tens of millions of pounds.

Where to put it?

North (of) London - up the capacity to 10k (temporary stands) and you have a centrally funded, but sustainable venue for the London Broncos.

Have you considered running the RFL?

- Severus, July 2012

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Except realistically.....its the national soccer stadium to virtually everyone. People might know we have the CC final there but to almost everyone its our national soccer stadium.

The more important line was the top one.

I'm sure at the time it was built it was shown there was an obligation to play 2 matches there a year (tied to Club Wembley benefits).  The CC Final is always one.

I'm wondering what it costs us, if anything, to do that.

- Severus, July 2012

#38 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Where to put it?

Sounds just like the centre of excellence in Leigh to me, or maybe not.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#39 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Have you considered running the RFL?

I agree; the RFL Chief Executive!

#40 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

You'd be hard pressed to find more than a few people who do know that.  As far as most people are concerned, it's a football stadium that's grudgingly opened up to other activities.

A separate national stadium for RL would either be a massive white elephant of a stadium that's little more than a money drain or an inadequate venue that's little, if any, better than what we have now in the club grounds.  Surely it would have to be the ground for finals as well as internationals therefore would need to take 30k as an absolute, scraped minimum and realistically 40k to make it a viable option, then you have to consider it's fitness for other sports, concerts, etc. to lease.  It's worth remembering that unless the stadium at least pays for itself then funding for it needs to come from somewhere.  A good comparison would be the Welsh RU who still painfully struggle to keep up with the bills on their massive stadium despite filling it at least 3-4 times a year with RU internationals with the inevitable knock-on effects on sport-wide funding.

Then there's location.  It really has to be up north somewhere, putting it near London does two things: first makes it difficult for the bulk of RL people to get to and makes the land prices, planning and build costs idiotically high.  There's no point having a national stadium for a sport if its location gives people another excuse to not attend international games.

I'm strongly in favour of keeping leasing big grounds with the occasional trip to Wembley.  We need to be realistic in that we can't afford to build and own a big, top-end stadium, we get the benefits of that by leasing a ground with none of the pitfalls of having to actually own one.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users