RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Memorabilia

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NineTeenEightyOneMascot

NineTeenEightyOneMascot
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I have an uncle that has recently passed away. He was an avid ORLFC fan and has quite a bit of memorabilia.

He has a signed ORLFC shirt from when he toured Australia with ORLFC supporters club in 1984.

A member of my family has recently emailed the club (ORLFC) to donate the items for auction to raise funds, but has had no reply.

Does anyone have any ideas of who best to contact?

#2 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have an uncle that has recently passed away. He was an avid ORLFC fan and has quite a bit of memorabilia.

He has a signed ORLFC shirt from when he toured Australia with ORLFC supporters club in 1984.

A member of my family has recently emailed the club (ORLFC) to donate the items for auction to raise funds, but has had no reply.

Your best bet is Oldham Rugby Heritage Trust. They have a website with contact details. The Heritage Trust is arguably the finest organisation of its kind in the country, has a wealth of Oldham RL memorabilia and has staged extremely successful exhibitions at Gallery Oldham.

Post again if you make no progress and I'll give you individual details of who to contact. 

#3 NineTeenEightyOneMascot

NineTeenEightyOneMascot
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Donquixote.

Steve Brown from the Heritage Trust has literally just PM'd me.

#4 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

The e-mail system at the club's offices have been down since they moved. You may get a reply now as they are back online.
In the First 48.....

#5 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Its interesting how someone can come on here to offer something to the club, and they are pointed in another direction. Its not hard to envisage why the club is in debt.

#6 NineTeenEightyOneMascot

NineTeenEightyOneMascot
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

In defence. You have to take into account that the club were contacted on a personal level first - Over a week ago - No reply from them - Came here to ask for advice.

I think the heritage trust is a great idea - At least the collection of memorabilia etc will be kept together.

#7 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

In defence. You have to take into account that the club were contacted on a personal level first - Over a week ago - No reply from them - Came here to ask for advice.

I think the heritage trust is a great idea - At least the collection of memorabilia etc will be kept together.

I agree it is fantastic there is a body which helps us remember how the club was. Lets hope that the memory is not all that there is. I fully understand it is up to you where you choose to put your memorabilia.

#8 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Its interesting how someone can come on here to offer something to the club, and they are pointed in another direction. Its not hard to envisage why the club is in debt.

That's just petty, S10C

#9 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

That's just petty, S10C

I don't think so. If the it had have gone to the club to auction off, the club could have benefited by the auction proceeds, and who knows the heritage trust could have been the successful bidder. That way everyone is a winner.

#10 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Totally agree Saints,ebay would be a good option too

I don't think so. If the it had have gone to the club to auction off, the club could have benefited by the auction proceeds, and who knows the heritage trust could have been the successful bidder. That way everyone is a winner.

Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

#11 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

As I said the Heritage Trust is the finest organisation of its kind in Rugby League and frequently bid for items at auction to enhance their collection. The club has frequently benefitted from a share of their proceeds eg from the books they have published. There is no reason to think that this would not have been the case this time, particularly in view of there having been no reply stating interest by the club (at least that was the case when I first posted before it was said the club's e-mail system had been out of action). 

By all means stick the stuff on e-bay: and who gets the funds then?

I still think it was unnecessary carping but then that's par for the course on this forum.

#12 cassandra

cassandra
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

The e-mail system at the club's offices have been down since they moved. You may get a reply now as they are back online.

How long was that for then? And what professional organisation allows itself to be without e-mail for any length of time?

And to clear up the S10C/Don Quixote debate did NineTeenEightyOneMascot ever get a reply?  

#13 cassandra

cassandra
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

I don't think a few auction items would make a big impression and while it's true that 'every little helps' it's not the fault of anyone posting on here that the club has debts.

And as a matter of interest Don Quixote was a regular sponsor of the club in the past and, for all I know still is. Should not be condemned for trying to help both organisations.

#14 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I think there is a lot of carping about ORLFC on here, but I am shocked at the suggestion of shoving it on eBay, it would be a travesty, it might go for next to nothing.

It is clearly of great sentimental value to his uncle, and who knows what else is in the collection.

Clearly attempts had been made to contact the club, and it speaks volumes that no one officially has even contacted via this board, for all its faults it is still the main online communication by fans,

Its not all about raising funds, its also about building a history of this one great club.

We are veering to knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing territory.

#15 NineTeenEightyOneMascot

NineTeenEightyOneMascot
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

How long was that for then? And what professional organisation allows itself to be without e-mail for any length of time?

And to clear up the S10C/Don Quixote debate did NineTeenEightyOneMascot ever get a reply?  

No. Still no reply from ORLFC.

It is the wish of the family for the collection to be kept together and given to the Heritage Trust.

#16 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

No. Still no reply from ORLFC.

It is the wish of the family for the collection to be kept together and given to the Heritage Trust.

I have no problem with your decision. Like you say, it is the best way to keep things together and enhance the already considerable collection held by the heritage trust.

My original gripe is how quickly some posters will try to deflect anything positive away from the current regime running the club. This if we are not careful, will be the demise of the club. Then all we will have is the memorabilia and the memories left. 

• TOSH1960 and OutOfTownRoughyed like this

#17 Ian Ozenthrote

Ian Ozenthrote
  • Coach
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

The original post was not offering the collection to the club. They had already tried that and been ignored.

The lack of response from the club is a sign that the administration is shambolic and this may just be a reason why funds are hard to come by.

#18 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

The original post was not offering the collection to the club. They had already tried that and been ignored.

The lack of response from the club is a sign that the administration is shambolic and this may just be a reason why funds are hard to come by.

And unnecessary posts like yours are probably why they don't bother to respond to things on this message board. read the OP again.

#19 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

S10C I appreciate your heart is in the right place but you have to appreciate that people get frustrated with ORLFC and its failure to communicate effectively. 

#20 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

This is only loosely related to memorabilia. I was clearing out some cupboards and drawers the other day and came across some old newspapers that I had saved with ORLFC related items in them. The most interesting was dated January 20th 1997 and was all about the closure of Watersheddings. It was the day after the last game ever to be played there, but what I found most interesting was a small piece in the bottom left corner of the inside page headed "Rallying Call"

Jim Quinn is quoted as follows:

"History is for reading. The future is all about planning and doing. We are proud of our past but must look forward to the new world that awaits us. With the help and total backing of John Battye and Oldham Council we faced up to our financial crisis, moved out of the second division into the old first division and earned a place in Super League where we held our own in 1996 and will do so again in 1997"

Councillor Battye is quoted as follows:

Plans for a 15000 all seater stadium are to go before the Council on January 29th following high level talks with ORLFC and OAFC. If Sheffield and Huddersfield can have a new stadium then why not Oldham. This has been a Rugby League town for over 100 years and the Council want to make sure it continues. 5000 fans watched today's game and if similar crowds will watch Oldham in Super League next season Oldham's fortunes will start to turn a corner"

It really makes you sit up and think doesn't it when you look at our new no seater (well almost)stadium and crowds of only 500. What ever happened to all those promises?

Of course besides the broken promises there was a certain NIMBY who took on the Council about the plans for the new stadium and won. I hope he is really proud of himself when he looks at what he achieved and what has happened to Oldham since those days. I firmly believe that if the new stadium had been built we would be in a far better position today. What a great guy eh? Of course if the Council had really been serious in their intention to make sure both clubs had a new home I'm sure that they could have found alternative sites but it strikes me they were just as relieved that the plans got dropped as the guy who lived near Clayton Playing Fields.

• TOSH1960 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users