Memorabilia

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Ex scrumhalf that is an excellent post though I disagree that the council wasn't serious as I can't imagine any site in the town having the same potential.  It was the change of administration from Labour to Lib Dem which killed off the Sports Park 2000 project and in my opinion that was a disaster for the two professional clubs in the town.  The location was perfect for transport access and would have been excellent for concerts etc.  What we have now is what you describe as our new no seater (well almost) stadium.   One of the most telling posts I have seen on the forum in the last few years was from a Fev fan whose comments are always well considered.  After a visit to Whitebank for a Northern rail Cup match he posted that some "heads need banging together in Oldham".  " There is an adequate stadium in the town and the two clubs need to both be using it" or words to that effect.  If Sports Park 2000 had happened he would not have been talking about adequate he would have been jealous of what we had.

Interesting point about attendances.  You quote 5000 fans watching a game.  It is unlikely that the aggregate attendance for the league season will reach 5000.  How sad is that?

A lot to answer for the Lib Dem Council in 2000.  Well at least I can drive by Clayton playing fields and marvel at ... exactly what?

#22 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Clayton Fields is a piece of prime real estate, which was made worthless overnight by the decision to award it Town Green status.

#23 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

I believe that john battye was sincere but was apparently let down by some councillor voting against. I heard a tale that they changed their mind at the last minute because of a dream they had the night before the vote. Whether this is true or not I can't say. As for the nimby, Well he really has an enhanced area now hasn't he, what with boundary park falling to bits. Well done him!!

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 05 June 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#24 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

You are 100% correct TAOHAF. I believe the councillor in question was a lady from Uppermill after JB had been promised her vote which would of swung the decision. It can only happen in Oldham.

#25 OldhamGal

OldhamGal
  • Coach
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have that newspaper too!

Ain't it funny how you think you're gonna be OK
Till you remember things are never gonna be the same again?
Ain't it crazy how you think you've got your whole life planned
Just to find that it was never ever in your hands?

My Facebook :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users