Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Badger Cull starts on Saturday

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

http://www.telegraph...g-minister.html

David Heath, a minister in the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, confirmed marksmen will be able to shoot up to 70 animals a day in Gloucestershire and Somerset from Saturday.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

A83fUNHCcAARgEa.jpg

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

we cant let these creatures or any other evil thing created by mother nature stand in the way of the human race in its bovver boots, kicking the world in to submission, after all we (humans) do own the planet, "cut down that tree" I cant get my range rover past it!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#4 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

http://weebls-stuff.com/songs/badgers/

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Humans spread measals, maybe we should start shooting all the kids who haven't had the MMR vaccine.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

By and large, townies should accept that they don't understand the country and should stay out of rural concerns.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

we cant let these creatures or any other evil thing created by mother nature stand in the way of the human race in its bovver boots, kicking the world in to submission, after all we (humans) do own the planet, "cut down that tree" I cant get my range rover past it!

LOL

#8 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

By and large, townies should accept that they don't understand the country and should stay out of rural concerns.

Yes best to let the farmers kill everything they want, use god knows what pesticides, rip up all the hedges, feed the livestock as many antibiotics as they can.... farmers know best....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,395 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

According to the BBC,  Long term, an affordable vaccine is the way forward. But, the lesson from the Republic of Ireland is that a badger cull, along with other measures, can help control the disease until then.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-22731629

#10 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

According to the BBC,  Long term, an affordable vaccine is the way forward. But, the lesson from the Republic of Ireland is that a badger cull, along with other measures, can help control the disease until then.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-22731629

Not sure snaring will go down too well.

You need to kill over 90% of badgers to get a 10% reduction in TB.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yes best to let the farmers kill everything they want, use god knows what pesticides, rip up all the hedges, feed the livestock as many antibiotics as they can.... farmers know best....

Well as long as they don't complain about us townies joining our towns together to go about our trade by driving more motorways and railway lines across their land I'm for it.

Isn't it the townies who came up with the vaccines etc. to protect their herds from other diseases? what dow we do if we find out that humans spread a disease to cattle, do we cull the humans.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

The key question is surely whether badger tastes as good as horse.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

As someone living in a very rural part of the world, b0ll0cks to that. This is yet another example of poor policy made without a holistic view of the environment. Badgers do not need to be culled, farmers need to look after their herds better, same as foot & mouth.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

I knocked a badger over once on the A64 (complete accident). It was pretty scary, it went with a right crunch, they must be fairly substantial beasts.

#15 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Don't badgers eat creatures that are pests to arable crops? Has anyone really thought through the ecological consequences? Or are cattle farmers once again showing what greedy selfish rich bastards they are (again!)?

LUNEW.jpg

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Don't badgers eat creatures that are pests to arable crops? Has anyone really thought through the ecological consequences? Or are cattle farmers once again showing what greedy selfish rich bastards they are (again!)?

see link in post #9

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Wolford6, on 01 Jun 2013 - 02:02, said:

That way lies madness - and bestiality!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

They primarily eat worms.

Cattle-TB in Ireland is falling consistently as the cull progresses (graph shown on BBC News last week)

#19 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,234 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I knocked a badger over once on the A64 (complete accident). It was pretty scary, it went with a right crunch, they must be fairly substantial beasts.

I've never seen a live one. I saw a dead one by the side of the road in Lincolnshire and another near my daughter's in Wiltshire.  Is it only badgers who carry TB?  I suppose the proof of the pudding will be in the eating - if TB in cattle falls in the trial areas then they'll go ahead with a full scale cull.  But given this government's fast and loose attittude to statistics, and the minister being well known as one of the right wing (swivel eyed?) loonies in the cabinet, will we be able to believe the "proof?"  I reckon badgers are in for a rough time.   

Could the fox hounds be taught to chase badgers perhaps - kill two birds with one stone? ;)

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

I say cull any living creature who lives north of the watford gap:)))))

CM

Interesting theory, but there's next to nobody south of Watford who's man enough to do it.

Edited by Wolford6, 02 June 2013 - 02:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users