Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

That was weird!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

on the day our daughter was born another baby was born in the same hospital with the same surname, the baby was given the same first and middle names without either family knowing until years later when they started sending the wrong letters to the wrong addresses! now whats the odds on that?

Long. But probably not as long as you and most people would think. It would depend on a number of factors, for example, is it a common surname, were the two given names popular at that time?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Long. But probably not as long as you and most people would think. It would depend on a number of factors, for example, is it a common surname, were the two given names popular at that time?

I imagine Breakout is quite rare for a surname.

:biggrin:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I imagine Breakout is quite rare for a surname.

:biggrin:

:yes: I was thinking the same myself!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#24 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

on the day our daughter was born another baby was born in the same hospital with the same surname, the baby was given the same first and middle names without either family knowing until years later when they started sending the wrong letters to the wrong addresses! now whats the odds on that?

Actually not that large, if you consider the factors involved
They were born in the same hospital - in this country some surnames are very local, eg Rimmer around south west Lancs.
Once you realise this then the same name isn't really that special

I agree it's unlikley and uncommon but not that remarkable. All it is is that there are two people with the same name born on the same date.

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

So it was heading to somewhere, even if that somewhere was where it started.

I head out for a drink, then I head home.

That's a remarkable coincidence. So do I! 

Wife's maiden name is Winstanley. The family originates from Winstanley.  Family history research has been a nightmare,  because it seems that nearly everyone who has ever born, lived, moved away or died there is called Winstanley..there seem to be millions of 'em.  And most of 'em have common first names: John, Joe, Jack, hey you....

#26 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I got married in 2011 and went to the Maldives on honeymoon. It was an idyllic place and our cabin was literally 10m from the beach. In the clear waters you could see all sorts of fish and small sharks praying on them. My wife was always uneasy about my swimming in the sea saying that where there are small sharks there could be big sharks. She'd even sincerely asked me to stop going in but I'd looked it up of course and knew there were no big sharks so laughed it off.

Whilst we were there, the husband of a honeymoon couple had been attacked and killed by a shark on honeymoon in the Seychelles, somewhere there isn't supposed to be shark attacks either. This was bad enough but when we read the story they had married on the same date as us and the guy was wearing the exact same suit as me. Worst of all they had married at St Michael's church in Dalton, Lancashire. If you don't know my real name you can figure it out from the above.

It sounds ridiculously unreal but here's the story http://www.bbc.co.uk...ashire-14562331 I'm no believer in coincidences that are meant to be but safe to say I didn't swim in the sea for the rest of the trip.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 02 June 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#27 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

our surname is not rare but I wouldn't say common either and the two other names were quite rare at the time

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,207 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

In the summer of 1969 I was in charge if a volunteer project at a psychiatric hospital in Edinburgh. There was this volunteer who annoyed me big time.
After all sorts if travels, trials and tribulations in the winter of that year I found myself inhabiting a hovel in a very bad part of Glasgow . Living in the next bug hutch to me was this lad who I became good friends with. He turned out to be the brother of the kid who got on my #### six months previously in Edinburgh
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#29 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm from Lancashire, my good lady is from Somerset, we met for the first time in a pub in London. 

Her maiden name is quite unusual, but was the same as my high school, turned out the school I went to in Lancashire was named after her great grandfather.

#30 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Her maiden name is quite unusual, but was the same as my high school, turned out the school I went to in Lancashire was named after her great grandfather.

Billy Borstal?

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#31 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

I stubbed my toe in a hotel in France, I casually mentioned this to another English bloke I didn't know, he said he did the same thing 10 years ago in Spain. Coincidence or what.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#32 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

On holiday in Spain, my wife and I went to a piano bar. To break the ice, the singer asked everyone in turn where they lived. The two women sat next to me said St Helens, whilst my wife said Wigan. Having said I came from St Helens, I got into a discussion with one of the women, who it turned out had just divorced my cousin. My brother Ron and cousin Ted were once partners for quite some years in the building trade, but I had never met his wife Carol until that holiday. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#33 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Out of all the 6 billion beings or so, coincidences must happen

Edited by Li0nhead, 03 June 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

our surname is not rare but I wouldn't say common either and the two other names were quite rare at the time

Perhaps you shared a nurse and she told the other couple.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

That's a remarkable coincidence. So do I! 

Wife's maiden name is Winstanley. The family originates from Winstanley.  Family history research has been a nightmare,  because it seems that nearly everyone who has ever born, lived, moved away or died there is called Winstanley..there seem to be millions of 'em.  And most of 'em have common first names: John, Joe, Jack, hey you....

I went to school with Margaret Winstanley, I still bump in to her in town now and again as we work in buildings only a few hundred yards apart.

Edited by Padge, 03 June 2013 - 06:51 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#36 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Cats are clever.
One morning I was going to work and went to get in the car.Lying beside the door was our cat covered in blood and dead.Following the trail of blood back over the car park it looked liked the cat had been hit by a tram and made its way to my car on a car park with around 120 others on it.

Out of all the cars that were parked there how did she know it was my car and why lie down to die on the drivers side of the car?
Was it so I would find her ??

Nothing to weird you may think until I mention that mine was the only English car in a Dutch car park.If it had been Dutch I would have got in the other side of the car and drove off without ever seeing Koontje.

Edited by yanto, 03 June 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Exactly how strong is your body smell?

;) ;) :tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#38 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Exactly how strong is your body smell?
;) ;) :tongue:

He's from Cumbria!

LUNEW.jpg

#39 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Perhaps you shared a nurse and she told the other couple.

well I was on the bus to Wembley 2 hrs later to watch wigan-leeds -and so was the midwife! 1994

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#40 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps mindful of this thread, two black cats have crossed the road today in front of my car.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users