Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Centurions

New management structure & TV

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#201 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Sheffield started in Division two and worked their way up th promotion ladder to the first division, now SL and stayed there. They famously won the challenge cup beating the mighty Wigan.

They drew at least three 9 to 10,000 crowds to Sheffield to watch Rl an they averaged around 4,000, a crowd London, Crusaders mark 1, and Salford would be happy with.

Like a myriad of RL teams, Wigan, leeds and Bradford come to mind, they got into financial difficulties and their ownership thought that the panacea would be to take the million pounds on offer for mergers and entered into the infamous Shuddersfield venture. this seems to have mostly benefitted the Giants and Sheffield

ceased to exist.

Mark Aston refused to let RL in the city die and reformed a team. They were scandalously almost refused membership of the League but prevailed and started the season with scarcely any players and ni money.

Since then they have once again worked their way up the promotion ladder to the point where they are the defending Champions of the Championship, are the the Northern Rail semi finals and have a home game against the woeful Broncos to get to the challenge cup semi final.

They trade at a profit. Theirr crowds are a sore point. There is the prospect of a purpose built 10,000 capacity ground for their use being built at the Don Valley Stadium site.

To me it seems RL in Sheffield has been a success twice. I think you should be lauding the progress of RL in Sheffield not running it down

Are the Eagles capable of being a SL club? Who knows but compared with at least one of the current SL incumbents, they would seem to be a better prospect.

Something gone wrong with my reply: This is not by Keighley,

Their fans suffered the same fate as Hunslet's when Parkside was sold. Let down by the BOD and the RFL, so many of them turned away and will never return. You could use it as an argument, but if the team they have now can't draw the crowds in, what chance would new clubs have at places like Coventry?         ..............Steve Slater

Edited by Steve Slater, 17 June 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#202 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Tax is paid on profit not income isn't it?

Gate receipts are Vatable. If your club charges £20 entry then £16.67 is theirs and the other £3.33 belongs to HMRC (though of course some clubs have made a habit in the past of ignoring the latter part).

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#203 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Their fans suffered the same fate as Hunslet's when Parkside was sold. Let down by the BOD and the RFL, so many of them turned away and will never return. You could use it as an argument, but if the team they have now can't draw the crowds in, what chance would new clubs have at places like Coventry?

Like anywhere outside the heartlands there's nowhere near the same interest in the game. Now we have the free gangway we can see enthusiasts for the game organising teams, people coming along to play, and if that gets to a decent level where the players can have a few quid in their pocket, people coming along to watch. The numbers however are low, too low for things to ever grow into professional clubs.

Interest in playing rugby amongst kids has dropped over the years, as Stevo says today they were in his day bursting to get out there with a ball. Not today. The "organic growth" toward professional RL people talk about but don't back up, is IMHO impossible when there isn't the interest in enough numbers needed to produce pro players and return the levels of paying crowds to sustain that.

There's not enough interest in places like leigh, barrow, workington, swinton, batley, oldham, rochdale, halifax, wakefield, bradford, east hull, etc etc and these places have a stronger RL culture going back to the 1870's. Those who have tried professioanlism have gone bust or admitted failure, those who haven't have slowly withered.

In addition a blind eye is shut to Rugby Union where equally the other code cannot throw up new clubs and is trapped in its traditional midlands and M4 corridoor.

Coventry for superleague? How does that work??

I'm with you all the way on consolidating the game where it has some strength, it's just that do we do that by your suggestion of derbies which it is said the 3x8 is based on? Derbies can only work IMHO as you indicate - only if all the clubs involved are off even - otherwise the top SL clubs eat the rest as they are doing now. Alternatively cut the league to 12, but again the key has to be on field parity.

Anyway I await an explanation of "organic growth" as the answer.....

#204 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,138 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

My club, Featherstone, would regenerate the local area by these proposals. If they were to replace one of their neighbours and the unfortunate ones sank to the depths Rovers did a few years ago the area wouldn't benefit, but all 3 of them up there with 2 places shared on a rotational basis would help restore the area to the greatest nursery of talent in the game. Don't tell me about Zak Hardacre & Rob Burrow, the local area around Featherstone is producing nowhere near the quantity and quality of talent that we saw before the turn of the century. That was down to local rivalry more than anything else,without it the banter in schools switches to soccer.

so your club will benefit 

If Iw ant to tell you about Zak Hardacre I will, as it happens I wont because it isn't relevant to what wa asking you. Are you saying that after 1999 fewer young people took up rugby league in the fiv town area? And tis was down to a lack of banter in schools?

Soccer has awlays been the most popular sport in the area

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#205 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

How can soccer be the biggest sport in Fev schools, no decent soccer club in Yorkshire compare that to what we have endured with Bolton Blackpool Burnley Blackburn Wigan Manchester x2 Liverpool x2 all within 40 mins and all spending time in the premier league in the past decade
You need to get home and talk to a few, if they still will.

#206 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

How can soccer be the biggest sport in Fev schools, no decent soccer club in Yorkshirell.

How dare you???
There's Barnsley! !!!!! :smile:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#207 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,138 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

How can soccer be the biggest sport in Fev schools, no decent soccer club in Yorkshire compare that to what we have endured with Bolton Blackpool Burnley Blackburn Wigan Manchester x2 Liverpool x2 all within 40 mins and all spending time in the premier league in the past decade

I didnt say it was

as an aside just how many schools do you think there are in Featherstone? Two high schools and a handful of primaries.

Keeping it local

#208 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Soccer is the biggest sport in every village, town and city in the country.

#209 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,138 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Soccer is the biggest sport in every village, town and city in the country.

If I was the parent of a school ag child in Featherstone, and a s a former sports teacher(including rugby league) I'd be very unhappy if the only sport on offer was rugby league

Keeping it local

#210 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Like anywhere outside the heartlands there's nowhere near the same interest in the game. Now we have the free gangway we can see enthusiasts for the game organising teams, people coming along to play, and if that gets to a decent level where the players can have a few quid in their pocket, people coming along to watch. The numbers however are low, too low for things to ever grow into professional clubs.

Interest in playing rugby amongst kids has dropped over the years, as Stevo says today they were in his day bursting to get out there with a ball. Not today. The "organic growth" toward professional RL people talk about but don't back up, is IMHO impossible when there isn't the interest in enough numbers needed to produce pro players and return the levels of paying crowds to sustain that.

There's not enough interest in places like leigh, barrow, workington, swinton, batley, oldham, rochdale, halifax, wakefield, bradford, east hull, etc etc and these places have a stronger RL culture going back to the 1870's. Those who have tried professioanlism have gone bust or admitted failure, those who haven't have slowly withered.

In addition a blind eye is shut to Rugby Union where equally the other code cannot throw up new clubs and is trapped in its traditional midlands and M4 corridoor.

Coventry for superleague? How does that work??

I'm with you all the way on consolidating the game where it has some strength, it's just that do we do that by your suggestion of derbies which it is said the 3x8 is based on? Derbies can only work IMHO as you indicate - only if all the clubs involved are off even - otherwise the top SL clubs eat the rest as they are doing now. Alternatively cut the league to 12, but again the key has to be on field parity.

Anyway I await an explanation of "organic growth" as the answer.....

Just as an antidote to the general trend that dying backwater of the game Keighley, who never produce any players, watched their u 20 team composed of mostly local youngsters beat the Wigan DR club Scorpions u 20 98 to 0. So much for the quality of players being produced in Wales.

In addition to that Keighley ARLFC won the championship of the Pennine league and one of their players was player of the season. Keighley Cougars fans, though, like Hunslet and Sheffield felt betrayed by the SL denial at the height of Cougarmania, walked from the club and have never returned in any numbers despite a couple of promotions and playoff final wins.

It's a major problem re engaging them and kudos must be given to Featherstone who seem to have bucked the trend and Crusaders who have retained a significant number of their fans and are developing the amateur game in Wrexham.

Both are examples of organic growth. Where that growth will lead is anyone's guess. This is in the future and no one can predict that.

#211 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Both are examples of organic growth. .

Not to the extent that the so called growth accelerates until we have a Superleague club.

#212 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Not to the extent that the so called growth accelerates until we have a Superleague club.

No one has said that but growth is growth. Organic presupposes slow and steady without artificial assistance. Time was when Swinton and Hunslet were big time clubs, now they are not. Time was when there was no RL, that's as in NONE outside of the north.

Times change. Circumstances change. Wait ten years and then we'll discuss if any of these clubs are any nearer SL.

#213 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Various posts removed.

I'm not going to lock this thread, but I am getting really, really tired of the same individuals sniping at each other in various threads on here instead of sticking to the point(s) under discussion. It's like listening to a broken record at times. Make your point, then stop. People will disagree with you. Accept it. You don't have to repeat yourself to be heard, and you don't have to get personal either.

Here's a tip: the next time anyone turns a thread into a personal point-scoring excercise, no matter who it is, their posting rights will be suspended without warning and until such time as I think the message might have got through to them that we will no longer tolerate this kind of behaviour on here.

This warning also includes any attempts to goad other members into personal responses too.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#214 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Various posts removed.

I'm not going to lock this thread, but I am getting really, really tired of the same individuals sniping at each other in various threads on here instead of sticking to the point(s) under discussion. It's like listening to a broken record at times. Make your point, then stop. People will disagree with you. Accept it. You don't have to repeat yourself to be heard, and you don't have to get personal either.

Here's a tip: the next time anyone turns a thread into a personal point-scoring excercise, no matter who it is, their posting rights will be suspended without warning and until such time as I think the message might have got through to them that we will no longer tolerate this kind of behaviour on here.

This warning also includes any attempts to goad other members into personal responses too.

Sounds good, I might start posting on here agan.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#215 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

so your club will benefit 

If Iw ant to tell you about Zak Hardacre I will, as it happens I wont because it isn't relevant to what wa asking you. Are you saying that after 1999 fewer young people took up rugby league in the fiv town area? And tis was down to a lack of banter in schools?

Soccer has awlays been the most popular sport in the area

My Grandson has played for Fev Lions junior teams struggling to make a side up, and the coaches tell me that in the days before Super League they would of get 60'odd kids per age group on a training night when it used to be Jubilee ARLFC. As far as banter in schools go, maybe I'm too old, but when I went to school in Sharlston, all the talk was Wakey & Fev, even tig & pass in the playground between the two sets of supporters, and maybe that's why they produced so many of the game's legends. This isn't happening any more because the parity has gone, and the area around Featherstone is not producing as many quality players as it did in the days before SL, Zac Hardacre being an outstanding exception.    

#216 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,565 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Good stuff! You're the third person tonight alone that has promised to post if we keep our word. That's incentive enough for me to keep it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#217 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

My Grandson has played for Fev Lions junior teams struggling to make a side up, and the coaches tell me that in the days before Super League they would of get 60'odd kids per age group on a training night when it used to be Jubilee ARLFC. As far as banter in schools go, maybe I'm too old, but when I went to school in Sharlston, all the talk was Wakey & Fev, even tig & pass in the playground between the two sets of supporters, and maybe that's why they produced so many of the game's legends. This isn't happening any more because the parity has gone, and the area around Featherstone is not producing as many quality players as it did in the days before SL, Zac Hardacre being an outstanding exception.

Do you think the extinction of the mining industry which used, bu it's very nature, to produce tough, muscular men ideally suited to our game has had any bearing on the decline of the amateur game in and around fev.?

#218 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

Yaaaaaayyyy. .. morning pencil!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#219 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Do you think the extinction of the mining industry which used, bu it's very nature, to produce tough, muscular men ideally suited to our game has had any bearing on the decline of the amateur game in and around fev.?

Possibly...though i wasn't aware that having pneumoconiosis was an advanage for a player

#220 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Possibly...though i wasn't aware that having pneumoconiosis was an advanage for a player

Touchee.

However, pneumoconiosis sufferers aside, there were a large number of top class forwards from Dixon, to Morgan to Clawson to Peter ? Smith and many others that came from the Featherstone area and most worked in the pit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users